Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
IanSR
IanSR began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon kindle 3
How to move toc go the beginning of epub file

Hello
I am having difficulty uploading an ePub file to Smashwords.
I use Coffeecup HTML editor and Calibre x64
Every time I upload the file to Smashwords that has been generated using Calibre, I get the message
"Please move the Table of Contents to the front of the book."

I have moved the HTML code to the front of the book just before the Title page and still I get the message.
When I view the ePub using Adobe Digital editions the clickable TOC is at the front of the book before the Title page.

Can anyone help.

Kind regards
IanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
This is certainly not the place for this question. This forum is about uploads and dowloads of eBooks to this site. I have moved the thread.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanSR View Post
Hello
I am having difficulty uploading an ePub file to Smashwords.
I use Coffeecup HTML editor and Calibre x64
Every time I upload the file to Smashwords that has been generated using Calibre, I get the message
"Please move the Table of Contents to the front of the book."

I have moved the HTML code to the front of the book just before the Title page and still I get the message.
When I view the ePub using Adobe Digital editions the clickable TOC is at the front of the book before the Title page.

Can anyone help.

Kind regards
When moving the epub element there are 2 places you need to change.

Firstly move the code which relates to the TOC in the TOC.NCX file to be in the correct order.

Then you also need to fix the playorder numbering so it's concurrent

Then in your content.opf file to need to change the order in the "Spine" section.

I'd also add this code in the content.opf file
Between the spine section and the close package </package>

PHP Code:
  </spine>
<
guide>
<
reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="whateveryoucalledyourTOCfile.xhtml"/>
</
guide>
</
package
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
When moving the epub element there are 2 places you need to change.

Firstly move the code which relates to the TOC in the TOC.NCX file to be in the correct order.

Then you also need to fix the playorder numbering so it's concurrent

Then in your content.opf file to need to change the order in the "Spine" section.

I'd also add this code in the content.opf file
Between the spine section and the close package </package>

PHP Code:
  </spine>
<
guide>
<
reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="whateveryoucalledyourTOCfile.xhtml"/>
</
guide>
</
package
Please, in the NCX if there is an entry to an inline ToC, please remove it. It's not needed. You are already at the ePub's ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Unless you have a TOC inside the job, like a detailed TOC
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Unless you have a TOC inside the job, like a detailed TOC
I've never seen an internal ToC that was detailed enough to warrant a contents link in the ncx. Besides, once you are at the ncx, you have a ToC in front of you. Even if the internal ToC is detailed, you won't be jumping to it but using the ncx.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Adjust
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never seen an internal ToC that was detailed enough to warrant a contents link in the ncx. Besides, once you are at the ncx, you have a ToC in front of you. Even if the internal ToC is detailed, you won't be jumping to it but using the ncx.
Agreed... Although some might argue it's for muti purpose epub ready for mobi conversion
Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Agreed... Although some might argue it's for muti purpose epub ready for mobi conversion
You still don't need the contents link in the ncx as Kindlegen totally ignores the contents link when making the Mobi.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If he wants an additional TOC, he wants an additional TOC. Don't force your ideas on others. You can suggest, but do not force please.

I would suggest not using Calibre for the ePUB conversion. It is a great library management tool, but a mediocre conversion tool. It generates ugly code that easily can go wrong. A lot of the good ePUB makers are using Sigil to create ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Adjust
Addict

I use InDesign for mine... as it's the main production tool
Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If he wants an additional TOC, he wants an additional TOC. Don't force your ideas on others. You can suggest, but do not force please.
You totally misread. I wasn't suggesting dumping the internal ToC but suggesting dumping an entry in the NCX ToC that references the internal ToC. That way we don't have a contents entry in the ToC when we are already at the ToC.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
But what if the internal ToC has some additional information (chapter summaries, illustrations, original dates and authors, etc.), why deny the user the chance of going directly to this "extended" ToC from the simple NCX ToC?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But what if the internal ToC has some additional information (chapter summaries, illustrations, original dates and authors, etc.), why deny the user the chance of going directly to this "extended" ToC from the simple NCX ToC?
I have yet to see such an extended ToC. Can you show me an ePub that has such? And if it has such, leave in the contents link. But in most cases, it won't so take out the contents link.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I do have some of this in my inline TOC's that were taken from some books where I tried to match the book content. However it is usually only a page away from the Cover and the cover is usually a choice in the ncx so it is really easy to find.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A ToC with chapter summaries: The American Claimant
A ToC with dates, and an alternate ToC with different ordering: Savage Stories of Conan

whether or not a reader might be interested in jumping to one of these from somewhere else in the book, that's not for me to decide
I guess that's more likely to happen in non-fiction (or rather non-narrative) works, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote