Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-21-2024, 08:07 AM   #1
Oyku
Oyku began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Lumi 2
wondering about the possibilities/limitations of changing OnyxBooxLumi2 OS

Thanks for stopping by!

As the title suggests, I'm curious about changing my OS of the Onyx BOOX Max Lumi 2 to something open source. However, I feel this is probably much more complicated than just plugging my tablet into my computer and running some program. If it was that simple, I wouldn't be scouring the internet for information on this.

It seems like other devices such as Remarkable and Pine use open source software. There is even a project for an open source OS called fread, run by a guy named Marc Juul. He gave a talk about it. He has a website too that hasnt been updated at all.

Basically, if anyone has the time, id love a kind of r/explainlikeim5 explanation about how this is and isnt possible developmentally. I'm aware that no open source software exists at the moment, but why? whats so hard about developing it, aside from the obvious time investment and knowledge required.

The reason why im so curious is because id love to have an offical project or something i could help out with programming wise or financially.

Other than that, the other route is to just root my tablet and develop my own updates to it myself, which sounds like a lot but my main goal here is to make some kind of file linking system similar to Obsidian and have it synced with Obsidian.
Oyku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app development, onyx, open source