Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 02-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
di9girl
Enthusiast
di9girl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Newbie... will Marvin help my needs?

I use Calibre on my PC. I used to use Calibre Companion on my iPad to receive books from Calibre and then send those books from CC to the Kobo app which is my preferred choice to read books.

CC no longer works with the Kobo app so I'm stuck.

I may be getting confused with the two apps but can I either add books directly to Marvin on my iPad using Calibre on my PC, or, can I add books to the Kobo app via the Marvin app?

Or should I just get a stand-alone reader and sideload books somehow that way?
di9girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Marvin is a stand-alone reader....with great options!

I use Calibre as my ebook manager and "serve" my library using Calibre's OPDS library function. Any decent ebook reader would be able to download books from an OPDS book server...like Marvin. I think Kobo does as well, but you would need to use a hack called KOReader.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
di9girl
Enthusiast
di9girl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Marvin is a stand-alone reader....with great options!

I use Calibre as my ebook manager and "serve" my library using Calibre's OPDS library function. Any decent ebook reader would be able to download books from an OPDS book server...like Marvin. I think Kobo does as well, but you would need to use a hack called KOReader.
If I had a Kobo device, then I could send books to it via Calibre from what I understand.

Whereas Marvin would be replacing the Kobo app I currently have on my iPad. I'd need to be able to send books from Calibre to Marvin somehow.

I'm not proficient with coding or extra bits of software, so just want something simple... so I think I'm leaning towards a Kobo device and direct communication from Calibre rather than Calibre on my PC, a third-party bit of software or coding and then Marvin.
di9girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 06:56 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by di9girl View Post
If I had a Kobo device, then I could send books to it via Calibre from what I understand.

Whereas Marvin would be replacing the Kobo app I currently have on my iPad. I'd need to be able to send books from Calibre to Marvin somehow.

I'm not proficient with coding or extra bits of software, so just want something simple... so I think I'm leaning towards a Kobo device and direct communication from Calibre rather than Calibre on my PC, a third-party bit of software or coding and then Marvin.
Calibre has a server that can be activated like this:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html

The server can also be activated as a stand alone program. There is a server.exe where Calibre is installed on your computer.
When the server is started then in Marvin goto "Get Books ->OPDS auto or Calibre Server". Now it is very simple to get books from Calibre to Marvin on your iPad.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Calibre has a server that can be activated like this:
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html

The server can also be activated as a stand alone program. There is a server.exe where Calibre is installed on your computer.
When the server is started then in Marvin goto "Get Books ->OPDS auto or Calibre Server". Now it is very simple to get books from Calibre to Marvin on your iPad.
Agree, except Marvin does not accept books in pdf format, only epub, I think.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:15 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
EPub and .cbz
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote