Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Can I safely delete the ".kobo-images" folder? It's taking 500MB of space.

When I connect my Kobo Forma to my computer, I see that there's a folder called

Code:
.kobo-images
What's that for? Do I need to keep that folder? It's taking 500 MB of space.

Last edited by droopy; 10-14-2019 at 02:47 AM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Surprisingly enough it's for... the thumbnail images shown in the Library, Details & Sleep screens.

There's a few knobs in the Calibre Kobo driver to tweak how they're encoded which may help (very slightly) reduce their size, but some of those of those knobs may not have made it to the KoboUtilities plugin, yet, see this post.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Surprisingly enough it's for... the thumbnail images shown in the Library, Details & Sleep screens.
Hmmm... Unbelievable! Maybe I can get Calibre to just send thumbnail-sized images to my Kobo, rather than sending huge images to my Forma, and then my Kobo shrinking the images on the fly. Can I do this to save space?

Did enabling a patch that makes thumbnails bigger also a culprit?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@droopy: You can disable that on Calibre's side. But even if you did, you'd only be delaying the inevitable, as Nickel itself will generate those on-demand, and they will generally take more space that way.

Patching has no effect on this.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Each folder contains 3 image files -- they're the same photograph/artwork, but in 3 different sizes. Yikes.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
droopy
Guru

NiLuJe,
I'm curious... on your Forma, how big is your .kobo-images folder?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yes, as I said, Library, Details, Sleep.

Scaling is *expensive*, trust me, you *want* them cached, or navigating your Library would be even slower, and would murder your battery.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
droopy
Guru

And wow, the

Quote:
.kobo
folder takes up 1.3GB of space. Aagh. Fewer space for ebooks.

UPDATE: the .kobo folder has a subfolder called Articles. I presume those are Pocket articles. This Articles subfolder takes 1.2GB of space. Must be all those high-res images.

Ooooooh! I have an idea... since our Kobos are all greyscale, why doesn't Calibre send greyscale images to our Kobo? That should save a lot of space since colored images take up more space than grayscale, right?

Last edited by droopy; 10-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It takes less space than my actual Library, IIRC, but that wouldn't mean much, as it depends chiefly on the amount of books you've got in there, and then to another large extent to how well each cover compresses.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Err, .kobo is where all your Kobo-synced content happens to live. So, technically, books. .
Old 10-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
droopy
Guru

Ooooooh! I have an idea... since our Kobos are all greyscale, why doesn't Calibre send greyscale images to our Kobo? That should save a lot of space since colored images take up more space than grayscale, right?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@droopy: It does. That was my first answer.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #13
droopy
Guru

Gotcha.
I have the KoboTouchExtended Driver. When I go to Preferences >Plugins> KoboTouchExtended> Customize_Plugin> Collections_covers_&_uploads tab> Upload_covers section, I see "Upload black and white covers". Would this be what you recommend I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-10-11 09-13-17.png
Views:	260
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	174174  
Old 10-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
droopy
Guru

Also, what can I do for the 800 books that are now on my Forma. Is there a way to get all the colored pics on the device replaced with grayscaled ones? If so, how?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@droopy: That's the settings yeah (i.e., on your screenshot, it's left to Nickel, calibre won't generate nor upload anything).

The Kobo Utilities plugin can re-process & re-send covers, but you'll want the patched version I linked to earlier, as the current release is missing some of the new options, which might lead to weird results.

FWIW, my own recommendation is to basically tick everything in there (i.e., Upload, B&W, Dither, PNG, Keep AR, Letterbox), but that's partly my personal preferences, so YMMV .