Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #31
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The Paperwhite 4 has 14 font sizes.

My old Paperwhite 2 has 8 font sizes.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #32
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, it needs to be able to allow Calibre to access the database to manage collections. And KFX needs to go away and KF8 needs to allow better typesetting. Then the Kindle would be worlds better then it is.
And it goes way above my head.

I have a book or 2 on my tab and phone, read 1, mark as read with date, connect using cc to pc, sync and remove book I have read.
Calibre manages what few books I have, easy to see what I have and any I have not read yet.

I would look at kobo if I could get 1 but as I have told you, no stock and it's been that way for months.
If their is something you really want to say, say it or pm me. But I can't buy something that's not available.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
I have a book or 2 on my tab and phone, read 1, mark as read with date, connect using cc to pc, sync and remove book I have read.
Calibre manages what few books I have, easy to see what I have and any I have not read yet.
In that case, sounds like not having collections support is fine.

For what it's worth, I use the PW4 w/SO unregistered. Ads are tied to registration so I'm actually not receiving ads on that one.

On my ad-supported PW2, I only get the ads on screensaver and home screen. I don't get ads while reading.

You don't have to register and you can skip wifi setup entirely on the Kindle if you want. As mentioned, you lose some features like cloud collections and sync. Otherwise, it reads books just fine and you can easily transfer books via USB.

As far as I can tell, out of the box, there are 19 dictionaries for 10/11 languages pre-installed on the Kindle (de, en, en-GB, es, fr, it, ja, nl, pt, ru, zh-Hans). Most of them get deleted during initial setup when you select the locale/language.

If one selects English, the following dictionaries are kept:
Oxford Dictionary of English
The New Oxford American Dictionary

TL;DR
For your aforementioned usage, the PW4 sounds fine.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:03 AM   #34
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ilovejedd.

I hope Jedd knows

Been looking and reading more things and seems I couldn't register if I wanted too, need a credit card or gift card. Pity they don't sell gift cards in SA like uber, netflix, iTunes and play. Would save me some hassle buying a amazon card over the freeken play cards.

Yes my initial question was about kindle using my phones data up, but seems I have received other important answers. Thx.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:11 AM   #35
Gandulf
Addict

With the PW4 is the only way to read a book from overdrive to email it to the kindle?

And does kobo work the same way?

Didn't know but my province uses overdrive one of the few in SA so making sure a device works with it I think is a good idea.
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #36
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
With the PW4 is the only way to read a book from overdrive to email it to the kindle?

And does kobo work the same way?

Didn't know but my province uses overdrive one of the few in SA so making sure a device works with it I think is a good idea.
Kindles can only access Overdrive books in the USA.
Kobos can only directly access Overdrive books from the device in these countries:
  • Canada
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • Hong Kong
  • Singapore
In South Africa I think you would need to download the book to a computer and use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer it to a Kobo device.
You could not transfer it to a Kindle device without removing the DRM.

Edit: Here are the instructions from Kobo for transferring an Overdrive book to a device via a computer: https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...rary-s-website

Last edited by murraypaul; 07-28-2020 at 09:04 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just curious: Do VPNs help on any of this? (If so, that would be an additional cost, I suppose.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #38
Gandulf
Addict

Thanks murraypaul.

So kobo is definitely better in the overdrive department, US only

Found out today the local importers of both kindle and kobo haven't imported any kobo's because they can't compete with price of kindles.