Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Reading Kindle books on other devices

There is a book I want to purchase and read which only appears to be available to non-US customers on iTunes or Amazon. I can't purchase via iTunes because I don't own an iOS device apart from my Mac and an old iPod. I tried purchasing via Amazon but ran foul of the Kindle DRM requiring a Kindle or Kindle App.

Basically, I want to be able to read the book either on my Aluratek Libre (USB connection) or via FBReader on my Nexus 7. This means being able to get at the file to manage it via Calibre and (more importantly) store it in Dropbox which syncs between multiple devices and locations.

According to the instructions on the book, I just need to select download to PC - BUT when I actually purchased the book after installing Kindle for Mac I couldn't do that... Cue a very frustrating phone call from Amazon who insisted I had to use the Kindle app to read and manage the file. I ended up getting a refund and deleting Kindle for Mac.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get hold of this book without getting friends in the US to get it via B&N or Sony and sending me the physical file?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get hold of this book without getting friends in the US to get it via B&N or Sony and sending me the physical file?
Reinstall Kindle for Mac and buy and download the book. Google for 'Apprentice Alf' and follow instructions found there to get rid of the DRM and load the book into Calibre. Send it to your preferred device

As you found out, 'Download to PC' needs a physical Kindle device registered to the account to work. Kindle apps don't count (but books can be liberated from them as well, so it's effectively the same).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
I buy from Amazon frequently and have never owned a Kindle. Follow the advice given above and once you've purchased the book, click on the button that says 'Go to MyKindle4PC'. Then find the title and double click on it. That will place the book in your Documents folder under 'My Kindle Content'. From there, you can convert it through Calibre (once you visit Alf's site and install the plug-in).
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Your thread has now been moved, since your question is device specific.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but how do I get it out of the Kindle App into Calibre? Dian, your instructions don't work on a Mac...the only books I can see in the Kindle folder are those that come as a freebie with it, and double-clicking just opens up the book... If I drag the book icon onto my desktop, Calibre says it's an unreadable format.

This whole experience is really souring me on Amazon and the apps they supply. Well someone at work is letting me have an old Kindle with a smashed screen. Assuming she can charge it, and it's a USB transfer, I should get something working.
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The apps are good. You just have to determine where Kindle for Mac saves it's files. I have a PC, so I am no help there. However, make sure that you have synced the Kindle for Mac with the Cloud. Until you do that, there will be no books on your Mac.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
maddz
Wizard

Apparently, there should be a folder somewhere on my harddrive called 'My Kindle content'. Well, I can't find it...

Ah, a step mentioned for the first time.

And THAT's where 'My Kindle Content' is lurking... What a stupid place to put things: \Library\Application Support\Kindle\My Kindle Content.

Finally, the books are where I want them - where I can access them with FBReader on my Nexus. Yay!

Last edited by maddz; 04-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.