Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Thank you Morkl for the instructions.

I admit, I was a bit lazy, so I just downloaded your v2.zip

First I was a bit in a rush, so I copied the EbookHome.apk to extsp and ran an installation, which did not complete successfully.
At a closer look I realized, that it is to be handled like a flash package, so I ran the flash_reader.bat. After this, the Sony stock homescreen was gone. Pressing the home button let me choose between ADW Launcher, the alternative homescreen and something else, but not the stock home.

No problem I thought, my fault, should not have run the apk installer. Did a complete recover via sd-card, removed some debris from the former root, which was still there, rooted once more. All fine.

Running the v2 hack once more resulted in losing the homescreen again. Now pressing the home button brings me directly to ADW.

Am I missing something, or is there a bug?

(sd-recovery running again right now)
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Thank you Morkl for the instructions.

I admit, I was a bit lazy, so I just downloaded your v2.zip

First I was a bit in a rush, so I copied the EbookHome.apk to extsp and ran an installation, which did not complete successfully.
At a closer look I realized, that it is to be handled like a flash package, so I ran the flash_reader.bat. After this, the Sony stock homescreen was gone. Pressing the home button let me choose between ADW Launcher, the alternative homescreen and something else, but not the stock home.

No problem I thought, my fault, should not have run the apk installer. Did a complete recover via sd-card, removed some debris from the former root, which was still there, rooted once more. All fine.

Running the v2 hack once more resulted in losing the homescreen again. Now pressing the home button brings me directly to ADW.

Am I missing something, or is there a bug?

(sd-recovery running again right now)
Not sure what's wrong - the flash package has worked fine for me. Trying to install the apk manually shouldn't do any harm, the system will simply refuse because it is a "system app".

I'm gonna do a sd-recovery and try to install again to see if i can reproduce.

If you have script.log from your internal storage at hand, what does it say? This is what it looks like for me after a successful install:
Code:
Starting ./update.sh
./updates/system/app/EbookHome.apk: Checksum 1ba6f704ab2816ab398cce17f2d11a06 correct
./updates/system/app/EbookHome.odex: Checksum 170d90035094e18e4c74e74b69094c9e correct
./tmp/do_update.sh: Checksum f078951460edbc1b7d7f4f06aa63dac4 correct
./tmp/rescue.updater: Checksum 2e8f803dbd819b2b999b2e34539b84ce correct
Update script found
---- Starting update script ----
Starting /tmp/do_update.sh Sun Jan 8 02:02:55 UTC 2012
Updating /system
Get rid of preferred activities in packages.xml
System signatures
SuperUser
Done /tmp/do_update.sh Sun Jan 8 02:02:56 UTC 2012
---- Done update script ----
clean_exit
Edit:
Did you have "Enable apps from other sources than Market" or whatever it's called enabled?
Have you run the adb-enabler/was USB debugging enabled?

Last edited by Morkl; 01-07-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Morkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

here is my script.log (I guess from the second run):
Code:
Starting ./update.sh
./updates/system/app/EbookHome.apk: Checksum bb4e05acfdb505a7dc1c40ebcf585c9a correct
./updates/system/app/EbookHome.odex: Checksum 7dc85ea4d3cbab9ec246b7a35f7b1b4d correct
./tmp/do_update.sh: Checksum f078951460edbc1b7d7f4f06aa63dac4 correct
./tmp/rescue.updater: Checksum 2e8f803dbd819b2b999b2e34539b84ce correct
Update script found
---- Starting update script ----
Starting /tmp/do_update.sh Sun Jan 8 01:26:10 UTC 2012
Updating /system
Get rid of preferred activities in packages.xml
System signatures
SuperUser
Done /tmp/do_update.sh Sun Jan 8 01:26:11 UTC 2012
---- Done update script ----
clean_exit
What comes to my mind, is, that I still had/have the books.db hack (showing recently read instead of recently added). No idea, if this can cause trouble.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Morkl
Connoisseur
Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.Morkl can talk to the animals.

That looks about right. The books.db hack shouldn't break things.

Was "Enable apps from other sources" enabled?
Have you run the adb-enabler and/or was USB debugging enabled?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #20
vishcompany
Addict

at the first run:

enable apps from other sources was enabled.
adb is not installed / active.
USB debugging was enabled.

at the second run, I don't know. I had wiped the root and not changed anything yet in the settings.
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
vishcompany
Addict

SOLVED

I had Link2SD installed (see wiki).

When flashing and reflashing back and forth now, I noticed:
- the second reboot was triggered, but then the device got sort of stuck
- the ext SD card was still resident (2nd partition!), the LED next to the SD card was flashing very busily in some kind of repetetive pattern.

So I removed the SD, restored, rooted, took a deep breath and ran your installer once more (v1 this time).
Went just fine!
So I did the v2 as well, also no problem.

I will fix the 2nd partition in my Linux box tomorrow before re-inserting the card.

Thus: thanks for the hack, works like a treat!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Morkl
Connoisseur

Okay, great! And I was just about to report that I was unable to reproduce your problem - now i know why!

BTW: You mentioned you had the books.db hack still; if you want to remove it without having to rebuild the database, you can open books.db in SQLiteSpy and navigate to:
main->Tables->books->Triggers->Right click 'recently_added_trigger'->Drop trigger
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
vishcompany
Addict

Thanks for the hint about dropping triggers.

It's all in the wiki now.

I'm not sure yet how to handle the hack while Link2SD is installed.

Could anybody try and confirm, if it works to just remove the card while flashing, or will this cause trouble because of linked apps not being present?
Old 01-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #24
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkl View Post
It is in res/values[-locale]/strings.xml:
Code:
<string name="STR_HOME_RECENTLY_ADDED_BOOK">Recently Added</string>
There are a bunch of extra steps that need to be done to the APK in order to modify it and get it to work on the reader afterwards:

Tools needed: apktool, smali and dexopt-wrapper.

Procedure:
1: Disassemble EbookHome.odex using baksmali (baksmali -d frameworkdir -a 8 -x EbookHome.odex)
2: Reassemble into classes.dex using smali (smali -a 8 out -o classes.dex)
3: Put classes.dex into EbookHome.apk
4: Unpack EbookHome.apk with apktool (apktool d EbookHome.apk)
5: Make any changes in the newly created EbookHome directory
6: Repack with apktool, new apk ends up in EbookHome/dist directory (apktool d EbookHome)
7: Put the new apk on the sd card of the device
8: Run dexopt-wrapper on the device to get a new EbookHome.odex (in a shell on the device: dexopt-wrapper EbookHome.apk EbookHome.odex)
9: Remove classes.dex from the apk
10: Sign the apk with a suitable certificate
11: Run zipalign on the apk
12: Install on the reader

Or, if you just want the string "Recently Added" replaced with "Recently Read", you can use my modified files: http://morkl.se/reader/recentlyread.zip
Great post, thanks for posting the steps, will very helpful for developers new to Android wanting to modify any of the built-in Sony APKs!!
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:55 AM   #25
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Also a nice HomeScreen for the T1:
sonyprst1home
A replacement homescreen for a Sony PRS-T1 eReader
http://code.google.com/p/sonyprst1home/wiki/UserGuide
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
Venzent
Venzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enoughVenzent will become famous soon enough

This is very interesting. Does it also works for books which are not opened by the default reader? I no don't use the stock homescreen because the last opened book is only updated when it is opened with the default reader. I rather use FBreader...
Venzent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #27
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishcompany View Post
Thanks for the hint about dropping triggers.

It's all in the wiki now.

I'm not sure yet how to handle the hack while Link2SD is installed.

Could anybody try and confirm, if it works to just remove the card while flashing, or will this cause trouble because of linked apps not being present?
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
Great post, thanks for posting the steps, will very helpful for developers new to Android wanting to modify any of the built-in Sony APKs!!
I hope someone else has use of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
Also a nice HomeScreen for the T1:
sonyprst1home
A replacement homescreen for a Sony PRS-T1 eReader
http://code.google.com/p/sonyprst1home/wiki/UserGuide
A nice project indeed. Personally, however, i personally prefer the layout and look of the original homescreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venzent View Post
This is very interesting. Does it also works for books which are not opened by the default reader? I no don't use the stock homescreen because the last opened book is only updated when it is opened with the default reader. I rather use FBreader...
I haven't changed the way the "last read time" is updated, but I'm putting that on my TODO list
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
katnegermis
katnegermis began at the beginning.

Device: PRST1
Oh crap...

Nevermind

Last edited by katnegermis; 01-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
katnegermis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #29
Morkl
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnegermis View Post
Nevermind
Did you get it to work? I had an answer in a tab but I forgot to post it and it got buried behind work

Anyhows, I've made a new version. Posted it in its own thread though; no need to keep cluttering this thread up with technical bits

Getting back to topic; i have attached a screenshot of my current home screen, with the Store and Periodicals button replaced!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home.png
Views:	688
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	81050  
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #30
memortj
memortj began at the beginning.

Problem with PRS-T1

Hi friends,
I installed hacked version for my eBook as it was instructed. But once I detected that USB connection is not working, there was no link to connect PC to eBook. Than I made a big mistake and tried to delete some system files( I think the hacked ones) from inside of my eBook by root explorer. After that I can not shut down my eBook not connect to my PC. When pushing the power button it just goes to sleep mode. Resetting didn't help. Anyone has an idea how to solve the problem? Is it possible to run my eBook from external SD card?
Thanks from now.
memortj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
examples, hacking, modding, prs-t1, rooting