Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #16
CoolDragon
Addict
CoolDragon doesn't litterCoolDragon doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
So what is your problem then?
Obviously, the problem is why not enabling it on dr800.

Sometimes you really make people think you are defending IREX.
CoolDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Have you actually asked them?
Yes, but no answers yet.

Quote:
Did you see the post from several days ago where they said that they have heard our requests and a better way of handling continuous/panning mode on the DR800 is already on their roadmap? That certainly doesn't sound like a deliberate marketing/management decision to limit the DR800 to me.
Yes. But this is different from having a feature on dr1000s while not having it on dr800s and they share the same code base. Roadmap is future, we are talking about now. Sorry.

Quote:
They have answered similar questions in the past.
So what's your conclusion?
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #18
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDragon View Post
Obviously, the problem is why not enabling it on dr800.
They say they are adding it to the DR800.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. But this is different from having a feature on dr1000s while not having it on dr800s and they share the same code base. Roadmap is future, we are talking about now. Sorry.
They only share the same code base as of the 2.0 firmware, which is still in beta. You assume that just because the DR1000 can do it that the DR800 should automatically have this feature, and if it doesn't the only reasonable explanation is a deliberate decision to disable it? You also say you're a programmer?

I'm sorry you're upset by this, but you seem to be under a few misunderstandings about what is happening. You did say you're a programmer, right?

They say it will be added. In fact, they've been saying that it will be added for at least 2 months now. I'm not sure what more you want from them? I would suggest calming down and letting them do their job, instead of getting all worked up about speculations that don't seem to have much basis in reality.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
They only share the same code base as of the 2.0 firmware, which is still in beta. You assume that just because the DR1000 can do it that the DR800 should automatically have this feature, and if it doesn't the only reasonable explanation is a deliberate decision to disable it? You also say you're a programmer?

I'm sorry you're upset by this, but you seem to be under a few misunderstandings about what is happening. You did say you're a programmer, right?

They say it will be added. In fact, they've been saying that it will be added for at least 2 months now. I'm not sure what more you want from them? I would suggest calming down and letting them do their job, instead of getting all worked up about speculations that don't seem to have much basis in reality.
Look at this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=55 first, and then reply. I assume you understand how to read this.
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Look at this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=55 first, and then reply. I assume you understand how to read this.
I already saw that. I have no idea what you think it proves (I'm not sure you do either).

I still stand by my "speculations that don't seem to have much basis in reality" comment.

They've already said (multiple times) that they will add it to the DR800. I don't think there's any point in continuing this discussion.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #22
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
I already saw that. I have no idea what you think it proves (I'm not sure you do either).
So you don't understand it. Then there is nothing I can say.

Quote:
They've already said (multiple times) that they will add it to the DR800. I don't think there's any point in continuing this discussion.
Hopefully in the final v2 release. But you probably wouldn't care anyway.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
overdrunk
overdrunk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Shaggy, are you an IREX representative? Sounds very like one.

Don't forget, in a world of business, customers are THE GOD.If they cannot satisfy the customers, the will lose their business. If they have the customers misunderstood something, it is their responsibility. If the customers feel bad, the solution is so simple: do not buy and do not recommend. It is this simple. If they want to expand their business, they need to listen and react.
overdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #24
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrunk View Post
Shaggy, are you an IREX representative? Sounds very like one.

Don't forget, in a world of business, customers are THE GOD.If they cannot satisfy the customers, the will lose their business. If they have the customers misunderstood something, it is their responsibility. If the customers feel bad, the solution is so simple: do not buy and do not recommend. It is this simple. If they want to expand their business, they need to listen and react.
Don't bother, that's Shaggy. (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=shaggy)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrunk View Post
Don't forget, in a world of business, customers are THE GOD.If they cannot satisfy the customers, the will lose their business.
Absolutely. They have listened to customers on here numerous times, and in this case have already addressed this concern and said that they will fix it.

Quote:
If they have the customers misunderstood something, it is their responsibility.
I believe the majority of customers do understand this issue, it just appears that a few do not.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
So you don't understand it.
One of us certainly doesn't. Which one is for everyone reading this to make up their own minds.

The fact that the DR1000 currently has this feature in the 2.0 beta and the DR800 doesn't is obvious, everyone already knows that. I have no idea WHY the DR800 doesn't support it yet, and neither do you.

There could be numerous reasons why it's not implemented yet (although you can only seem to think of one). There is the possibility that their marketing/management has decided to deliberately disable this feature on the DR800 in order to drive more sales towards the DR1000 (which there is no evidence of), at the same time that their development team has been lying to us for months that the feature will be added. You can believe that if you really want to, but somehow I doubt that's what's going on.

Another possibility is that adding this to the DR800 is slightly more difficult than you think it is (I believe you claimed it was just a one line code change?), there have been other priorities with the beta release that they've been focusing on, and it's still on their roadmap to implement on the DR800. Which is what they've actually been saying.

It's obvious you're upset about this, but I think you're letting it cloud your judgment. I would suggest stepping back and looking at it objectively rather than blaming it all on a conspiracy theory by their management to screw you.

I apologize if I'm being a little rude, but stuff like this gets really annoying after awhile.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #27
CoolDragon
Addict

Quote:
One of us certainly doesn't. Which one is for everyone reading this to make up their own minds.

The fact that the DR1000 currently has this feature in the 2.0 beta and the DR800 doesn't is obvious, everyone already knows that. I have no idea WHY the DR800 doesn't support it yet, and neither do you.

There could be numerous reasons why it's not implemented yet (although you can only seem to think of one). There is the possibility that their marketing/management has decided to deliberately disable this feature on the DR800 in order to drive more sales towards the DR1000 (which there is no evidence of), at the same time that their development team has been lying to us for months that the feature will be added. You can believe that if you really want to, but somehow I doubt that's what's going on.

Another possibility is that adding this to the DR800 is slightly more difficult than you think it is (I believe you claimed it was just a one line code change?), there have been other priorities with the beta release that they've been focusing on, and it's still on their roadmap to implement on the DR800. Which is what they've actually been saying.

It's obvious you're upset about this, but I think you're letting it cloud your judgment. I would suggest stepping back and looking at it objectively rather than blaming it all on a conspiracy theory by their management to screw you.

I apologize if I'm being a little rude, but stuff like this gets really annoying after awhile.
I am expecting Shaggy to say these. One thing I haven't expected is that you don't even understand what the diff of both filesystem means.

Anyway, if you have read my posts, you should realize that I am not bothered by lacking of this particular feature. The purpose to create this thread is just to raise the attention of IREX and the users, and understand the reason behind this feature differentiation. Hopefully, we can find an easy way to work around this.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #28
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
During the introduction of DR800, IREX make perfectly clear that this device would target a different user group (lets say the average book reader) than the DR1000 (business professional, power user). This obviously lead to design decisions including user interface and feature set.

We know some of you use the 8" device not only for book reading, and miss features the 10" device carries. Although you could have known they were not part of the product, you can still hope, I know. A few of them are brought back as an advanced option in 2.0 (folder view, scribble and zoom options in PDF), others may follow later.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 AM   #29
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
During the introduction of DR800, IREX make perfectly clear that this device would target a different user group (lets say the average book reader) than the DR1000 (business professional, power user). This obviously lead to design decisions including user interface and feature set.

We know some of you use the 8" device not only for book reading, and miss features the 10" device carries. Although you could have known they were not part of the product, you can still hope, I know. A few of them are brought back as an advanced option in 2.0 (folder view, scribble and zoom options in PDF), others may follow later.

well so you essentially are confirming us that those features are not on dr800 for marketing decisions..
personally I don't think that those are wise decisions.. let's say that the real difference between the 2 devices is already in the screen size.. I personally would like to have those 2 inches more on the screen that no zoom can substitute.. it's not worth to have negative feedback on internet on a good product to protect one that you are going to substitute soon..

in any case all that we need and want is:
- that the flip bar works correctly in panning mode: I mean reached the end of the page it must make turn the page to the next one starting from the beginning of it. We don't even need the continuous mode..
- to have the full screen mode, that
must be compatible even with panning mode..

besides that it's obvious that you have to correct the ridiculous bug that you introduced in rc1 about the cut off of the pdf bottom etc.. and in my opinion you can even take away that new cycling icon on the bottom bar that is not useful at all (too little and too slow) and introduce an option in the settings to turn off the pen.. like in dr1000

in any case those are all changes that if I had the source code of uds I could introduce in less than a day.. nothing difficult.. (well maybe the bug can be difficult to find)

Last edited by repods; 06-08-2010 at 04:23 AM.
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #30
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Thank you, Gertjan, for the feedback.

Obviously, the IREX management may position their products as they wish.
Still, I would argue they have not made a diligent market research.

First off, an ability to comfortably read ebooks is not a basis for differentiation between, let's call it, consumer and business models.
Look at your competition. Sony, Pocketbook, Lbook, and Onyx (to name a few) has done a much better job, as far as reading experience is concerned.

Business features could be an ability to share your documents, to synchronize your notes with your colleagues, etc.

You equipped the DR800 with the Wacom interface and charged a premium for it, but were/are practically saying that your customers had no right to expect a proper use in the DR800.

The size of the DR800 is predestined to be used for reading pdfs. And the pdf is among the officially supported formats.
If the device is not able to accommodate comfortable reading of pdfs because of the management's decision, the additional 2" that the DR800 provides are practically useless. Epubs can be comfortably read on every 6" device.

The DR800 is priced at a premium compared to the competition, which would be justified only if you would have given proper software support.

Please reconsider your decision.

Last edited by eLiNK; 06-08-2010 at 04:48 AM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote