Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
As I've said, many of the people who were at the events mentioned in the book have denied the accuracy of the accounts.
I'm not sure how much weight I'd give those denials. Mark Felt denied being Deep Throat repeatedly over the years.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:53 PM   #62
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm not sure how much weight I'd give those denials. Mark Felt denied being Deep Throat repeatedly over the years.
Of course, but then again, Felt denied lying, betraying a trust and breaking the law, i.e. about what he accused Nixon of doing. Somewhat ironic isn't it.

The various people mentioned in Fear are named, are not accused of breaking any laws or lying and denied the accuracy of what some anonymous source or sources claimed to have happened. Given that several are considered very honorable and no one who was actually there have publicly stepped up and said that any of it is true, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. As far as I can tell, there is nothing to be gained by hiding behind anonymity in this situation, so I wonder why they do.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #63
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Of course, but then again, Felt denied lying, betraying a trust and breaking the law, i.e. about what he accused Nixon of doing. Somewhat ironic isn't it.
False equivalence. Do you really think whistleblowers and criminals are equal?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #64
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
Not just the US, here in Winterpeg there are 168 holds for 8 copies (ebook) and 68 for two audio.
What I found interesting was that Woodward said he had looked hard for "collusion" for 2 years and never found any sign.

..just a bunch of crazies like all politicians
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #65
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think that people who lie, betray trusts and break laws are criminals, regardless if you agree with them politically or not. Whistleblowers are something very different. If Feld had resigned his post, like the much more honorable Elliot Richardson, and announced that he couldn't work for someone who asked him to break the law, then he would have been a whistleblower. Someone who leaks to the press (which is a felony) in order to back stab someone else because he was bypassed on a promotion and then denies having done it for for 30+ years isn't a whistleblower.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #66
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It seems to me that the labels "whistleblower" and "criminal" are of no assistance in determining credibility. They are simply labels. There are so many criminal offences today, many not involving any form of dishonesty. And whistleblowers are generally (but not always) motivated by malice and their allegations suspect. The best starting position is almost always scepticism.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #67
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
And whistleblowers are generally (but not always) motivated by malice and their allegations suspect.
Do you have any statistics or other data showing that?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #68
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Do you have any statistics or other data showing that?
Only personal experience, anecdotal evidence and unpublished statistics. In the dim distant past I worked for a time for a large organisation. There was a huge pile of letters, overwhelmingly anonymous ones, suggesting that some particular person or organisation should be subject to scrutiny. I can't recall the exact statistics but the organisation found hardly any of these letters were of any use. Something like 10% to 20%. When I was first told of this I didn't believe it and did my own relatively small sample. I vividly recall being quite hopeful about one matter where the informant was a professional adviser who gave his name and some very general information. When I called I discovered that the informant concerned was no longer the adviser of the particular person, having been sacked. When asked for specifics this so-called professional advised me that his former client had done nothing whatsoever wrong whilst with him, because he had kept him on the straight and narrow. Now, of course, that he could no longer do that he was sure the person must now be cheating! In another one of that sample the informant gave a name with an address that proved to be at the bottom of a lake!

Somewhat to my surprise my own sample was consistent with these statistics. Anecdotally acquaintances in other organisations performing similar functions confirmed their experience was similar.

Last edited by darryl; 09-15-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #69
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I think that people who lie, betray trusts and break laws are criminals, regardless if you agree with them politically or not. Whistleblowers are something very different. If Feld had resigned his post, like the much more honorable Elliot Richardson, and announced that he couldn't work for someone who asked him to break the law, then he would have been a whistleblower. Someone who leaks to the press (which is a felony) in order to back stab someone else because he was bypassed on a promotion and then denies having done it for for 30+ years isn't a whistleblower.
Elliott Richardson was not a whistleblower. Richardson resigned rather than follow an order, as did William Ruckelshaus. They acted honorably, but neither one was revealing secret information. The most notable whistleblower of that era was probably Daniel Ellsberg of Pentagon Papers fame.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 AM   #70
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Actually got the audiobook from my library (in Northern NJ) on publication date (I put in for it in advance) but for some reason they do not even have the ebook? Seems strange, hope that's not some sort of trend? (I'm not really an audiobook fan but I'm dealing in this instance.)
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #71
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I wonder what the total sales of all this years trump/white house expose books are?
I'd guess north of 10 million though it could be the same million people buying 10 books each
is there some actual sale/publishing category which would include all the well known ones ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:55 PM   #72
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I wonder what the total sales of all this years trump/white house expose books are?
I'd guess north of 10 million though it could be the same million people buying 10 books each
is there some actual sale/publishing category which would include all the well known ones ?
I have no idea of the numbers but I'd bet there have been (and will continue to be) more books about Trump -either pro or con - than any other recent US president.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:21 PM   #73
darryl
Wizard

I doubt we will see many pro-Trump books. This is not a comment on his merit or otherwise, but on the demand for such books.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #74
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I doubt we will see many pro-Trump books. This is not a comment on his merit or otherwise, but on the demand for such books.
Not see them because they don't come to our attention, or not see them because they don't exist? I don't think I can be bothered to go look for them, but I suspect they exist.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #75
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not see them because they don't come to our attention, or not see them because they don't exist? I don't think I can be bothered to go look for them, but I suspect they exist.
If so, they are not getting any publicity at all. Contrast this with Fear.