Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I noticed one of the only other changes was working on the camera, but that kind of baffles me. I mean, I rarely see people walking around taking pictures with giant tablets on their face. Does anyone use their Fire camera regularly? Not that I've seen or heard, so it's a bit odd to put more work into its improvement IMO. I suppose if it's supposed work better with their other products their trying to promote - like the post above me mentions - it at least makes a bit more sense.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Funny how folks complain about Amazon taking over ebooks & such Yet Jump on other Amazon devices like they gods gift...
I'm the opposite. I buy all my ebooks from Amazon, but have no interest in their other devices. We bought one of the el cheapo Fire tablets, but once I bought my Surface the better half immediately replaced that Fire with the still perfectly nice Lenovo Tab2 Plus.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I noticed one of the only other changes was working on the camera, but that kind of baffles me. I mean, I rarely see people walking around taking pictures with giant tablets on their face. Does anyone use their Fire camera regularly? Not that I've seen or heard, so it's a bit odd to put more work into its improvement IMO. I suppose if it's supposed work better with their other products their trying to promote - like the post above me mentions - it at least makes a bit more sense.
I suspect it is for better video phone calls and to give amazon a better idea what you look like.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Picture this. Alexa, get dressed and go to work for me
Picture this. Alexa collects and keeps your paycheck. It'll happen to us all eventually.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
You said it buddy! I don't understand why tablets have cameras in the first place. Mediocre front facing cameras for video calls? Okay. But who in their right mind takes photos with a tablet?

I was at a wedding once where one of the guests did walk around taking pictures with her iPad. Everyone else looked at her like she was a weirdo.
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I suspect it is for better video phone calls and to give amazon a better idea what you look like.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Picture this. Alexa collects and keeps your paycheck. It'll happen to us all eventually.
nooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #23
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Picture this. Early in the morning or late at night, dark outside, still in the bed, eyes bleary and still shut, muscles stiff, "Alexa what time is it? Alexa what is the weather? Alexa set an alarm for: ,
Alexa Fox News, Alexa CNBC , Market news, bitcoin, Cancel, Alexa play Simple Man.",
and so on.

You never have to move or open your eyes.

I will go into the music, etc., in another post.
I also love Alexa I use it for a timer daily for many reasons one being I have to take certain medications after other meds. I use it for all of the above and I use it to turn on/off lights. Really nice to do that when out of town! Horay ALEXA! Yes, I could put them on a timer but I think being able to turn them on and off at any time is better than a timer. It sure beats a CLAPPER! I love reading in bed at night all cozied up and just say lights off and not have to walk or reach for a light. Yep, I bought the Koolaid and love it!
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathinlady View Post
Yes, I could put them on a timer but I think being able to turn them on and off at any time is better than a timer. It sure beats a CLAPPER!
Alexa, clap on, clap off
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I'm still wondering why this is being announced as if it was a major change. Other than the built-in Alexa, what is the difference between this Fire HD 8 and the 2017 Fire HD 8? We've added an Alexa app is big news?
I think the hands-free feature is the big "advance" — now you can use the Fire as an Echo. I wonder how much it's going to harm Echo sales (especially the Echo Show)?

I'm not an Alexa (or Google – whatever-theirs-is-called) fan, but for those who are, this is a big deal for them.

Just as a side note, why does the 32GB version cost $30 more? 16 additional GBs of memory doesn't seem to justify a $30 price jump.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-06-2018 at 08:34 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Picture this. Alexa, get dressed and go to work for me
Or ... "Alexa, please don't report to my boss and tell him I'm really not sick."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I wish Amazon would come out with a 9-inch tablet. The 10-inch seems a little too big.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #28
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm... so it won't be Cylons but Alexons? And again we make ourselves vulnerable.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I wish Amazon would come out with a 9-inch tablet. The 10-inch seems a little too big.
They used to have one. Very good for the time but it was premium priced.

The new line is value priced so they use high volume components and 8" and 10" tablets are more common than 9". Which means cheaper high quality panels.

The 8" is actually very good.
Check the reviews.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
They used to have one. Very good for the time but it was premium priced.

The new line is value priced so they use high volume components and 8" and 10" tablets are more common than 9". Which means cheaper high quality panels.

The 8" is actually very good.
Check the reviews.
I have last year's 8-inch. It's been having charging issues, so if there's a good Black Friday price on the new version, I may buy it. Or maybe jump up to the 10-inch.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote