Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 03:32 AM   #1
ptmkenny
ptmkenny began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Troubleshooting iOS sideloading from iTunes

I can't open my converted *.azk ebook files on my iOS devices.

I consulted this thread but I don't understand what it means about searching for invisible unicode characters. The book I am working on does include Japanese text, so there is definitely unicode text inside.

Details:

I have made an ebook in Scrivener 3.0.2 on OS X (10.13.4). I export (compile) the book from Scrivener as KF8/Mobi. I then open the book in Kindle Previewer (3.21), wait for the conversion to complete, and then choose File -> Export -> File format: Books for side-loading to iOS devices (*.azk).

I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone X connected to my Mac with iTunes (12.7.4.76). I then go to my device, choose Kindle, and add the converted .azk ebook, but it doesn't show up on either device. If I add a .mobi file, then it immediately appears on the device, but the formatting is messed up.

So, the files are definitely being added to the device, but there is something wrong with the *.azk files-- how can I troubleshoot this? In Kindle Previewer, I can choose "View -> Conversion Log", but this is the log for the conversion from the original file into .mobi, not the export to .azk.

I also tried quickly making a very basic book with just a few pages of English text; this book has the same problem (mobi file sideloads correctly, but azk file does not).
ptmkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I created an AZK file from a public domain book using Kindle Previewer 3.22. I then sent the file to the Kindle app on my iPad using the "File Sharing" function of iTunes 12.7.4.80 on a PC. After ejecting the device and opening the Kindle app (version 6.6), the book appeared in the library display and I was able to read it without problems.

I have attached a zipped copy of the file so that you can see if it works for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Shelley-Frankenstein-en.zip (485.2 KB, 193 views)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@jhowell: I found out by chance that KFX files generated by your Calibre KFX Output plugin can also be added to the Kindle for iOS app via the File Sharing function of iTunes.
Does your plugin add some iOS compatibility layer to the KFX files that it generates or does the Kindle for iOS app natively support KFX files?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Does your plugin add some iOS compatibility layer to the KFX files that it generates or does the Kindle for iOS app natively support KFX files?
The Kindle for iOS app has supported KFX natively since version 4.9 (May 2015). It had support for KFX before e-ink Kindle devices did.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptmkenny View Post
I can't open my converted *.azk ebook files on my iOS devices.

I consulted this thread but I don't understand what it means about searching for invisible unicode characters. The book I am working on does include Japanese text, so there is definitely unicode text inside.

Details:

I have made an ebook in Scrivener 3.0.2 on OS X (10.13.4). I export (compile) the book from Scrivener as KF8/Mobi. I then open the book in Kindle Previewer (3.21), wait for the conversion to complete, and then choose File -> Export -> File format: Books for side-loading to iOS devices (*.azk).

I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone X connected to my Mac with iTunes (12.7.4.76). I then go to my device, choose Kindle, and add the converted .azk ebook, but it doesn't show up on either device. If I add a .mobi file, then it immediately appears on the device, but the formatting is messed up.

So, the files are definitely being added to the device, but there is something wrong with the *.azk files-- how can I troubleshoot this? In Kindle Previewer, I can choose "View -> Conversion Log", but this is the log for the conversion from the original file into .mobi, not the export to .azk.

I also tried quickly making a very basic book with just a few pages of English text; this book has the same problem (mobi file sideloads correctly, but azk file does not).
When you sideload the file, via the connected iTunes, how, precisely, are you adding it? I mean, specifically? Did you do this via the File Sharing under Apps? Or are you trying to add it directly to the "Kindle" app?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
ptmkenny

@jhowell The copy of Frankenstein you sent me works as expected-- I could sync it to my iPad and then open it without any trouble.

So the problem must be with the settings in my file.

I created a book with only two sentences in Scrivener and then compiled to mobi; this mobi file can be added via iTunes with no problem. However, when I open the mobi file in Kindle Previewer and then export to AZK, the resulting AZK file never appears on the iPad.

I have attached the three files (Scrivener project, mobi, and AZK) to this post.

@Hitch: I'm doing it under File Sharing -> Apps -> Kindle. I successfully did it with the file from jhowell so there must be a problem with the way I am making the book files on my end.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestProject_NoAZK.zip (30.7 KB, 187 views)
Old 05-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@jhowell The copy of Frankenstein you sent me works as expected-- I could sync it to my iPad and then open it without any trouble.

So the problem must be with the settings in my file.

I created a book with only two sentences in Scrivener and then compiled to mobi; this mobi file can be added via iTunes with no problem. However, when I open the mobi file in Kindle Previewer and then export to AZK, the resulting AZK file never appears on the iPad.

I have attached the three files (Scrivener project, mobi, and AZK) to this post.

@Hitch: I'm doing it under File Sharing -> Apps -> Kindle. I successfully did it with the file from jhowell so there must be a problem with the way I am making the book files on my end.
You are not the first person to have inscrutable issues with Scrivener builds, although it's peculiar, as I thought it was using KindleGen?

Hitch
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There seems to be something going wrong with the AZK creation process on your system. I tried sideloading "TestProject.azk" from your post and it did not work for me either.

Then I used Kindle Previewer 3.22 to open "TestProject.mobi" and export an AZK from that and it opened properly in the Kindle for iOS app.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
There seems to be something going wrong with the AZK creation process on your system. I tried sideloading "TestProject.azk" from your post and it did not work for me either.

Then I used Kindle Previewer 3.22 to open "TestProject.mobi" and export an AZK from that and it opened properly in the Kindle for iOS app.
What version of Kindlegen is being run, via Scrivener?

Hitch
Old 05-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What version of Kindlegen is being run, via Scrivener?
The metadata in the MOBI file shows that it was created by kindlegen 2.9, the current version.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
The metadata in the MOBI file shows that it was created by kindlegen 2.9, the current version.
hmph. I wonder what could be causing it, then? I mean, I'm sure I'm not the only one who mentally ran all the obvious suspects...

Hitch
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Kindle Previewer comes with its own version of kindlegen.exe, which is located in:
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle Previewer 3\lib\fc\bin

It reports the following version number:

Amazon kindlegen(Windows) V2.9 build 0830-03578f

The standalone version that Amazon offers for download reports a different version number:

Amazon kindlegen(Windows) V2.9 build 1029-0897292

@ptmkenny: I don't think that it'll make any difference, but it couldn't hurt to use the kindlegen.exe version bundled with Kindle Previewer with Scrivener.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #13
ptmkenny

@Doitsu You can't directly use the Mac Kindle App Previewer's version of kindlegen because it is bundled inside the app, so I right-clicked, used "Show package contents," and copied kindlegen into another folder and set Scrivener to use that... but I got the same problem.

@jhowell Yes, there is something wrong with my Kindle Previewer. I realized this based on your comments (thank you!) and the following.

First, my app was slightly out of date (3.21.0, when the current version is 3.22.0). I upgraded but I had the same problem.

So I downloaded Kinder Previewer 3.22.0 on my Windows 10 machine and opened the mobi file there, then converted it to AZK, and then sent it back to the Mac, where I sideloaded it onto my iPad-- and it worked! So, the problem is Kindle Previewer on the Mac is somehow silently failing during the AZK conversion-- is there a way to make it print out some kind of error message?

At least I have a workaround now-- thank you for all your help!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:04 AM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jhowell Yes, there is something wrong with my Kindle Previewer. I realized this based on your comments (thank you!) and the following.
You’re welcome.

One thing that hasn’t been discussed is why you are doing this at all. I assume this is a prelude to actually publishing a book.

Be aware that almost all books published on Amazon these days support Enhanced Typesetting. (And those that don’t usually have problems that need fixing.)

The iOS app will most likely be receiving your published book in KFX format from Amazon, not AZK. So how the sideloaded AZK looks in the app will not truely show how the book will appear for actual customers. Amazon’s procedures are a bit outdated in this respect.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-12-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:05 AM   #15
ptmkenny

@jhowell Ok, maybe I have misunderstood how publishing on Amazon works now.

Yes, I intend to publish a book (KDP only, no print version).

This book includes some CSS with floats that I am using to make "speech bubbles" with faces next to each line of dialog.

This CSS works fine on my Paperwhite, Android tablet, and the Windows and Mac Kindle apps, as well as Kindle Previewer. However, on iPhone and iPad, it's messed up. From what I've been able to tell from searching the net, the iOS apps use a different rendering engine than the rest of the Kindle family. Some things work and other things don't, and there's no documentation about what specifically works on iOS (if such docs exist, I would be very grateful to be pointed to them...)

So, from what I read, I thought that the "right" way to test what an iOS device will see is to create an AFK in Kindle Previewer and then sideload it onto the iOS device. I have also tried emailing the mobi file to myself and delivering it to the iOS device-- this also works, but it delivers a file with different formatting than when I sideload the AFK (this formatting is also messed up, but in a different way).

In the market I am working (Japan), there are far more iOS devices than anything else, so it's crucial to get the formatting correct on iOS. That's why I'm doing this.