Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help with Google account please

I'm sorry if this is off topic for the forum, and even more embarrassed about the mess I've got myself into.

Some years ago in a burst of enthusiasm I opened a Google account but have rarely if ever used it since then. If I stored the password and so on it must have been on my old computer since I can't find them now.

Today I tried to open the account to make sure it still works in preparation for buying a Nexus 7 for Christmas, but though it recognised my email address and user name it did not accept the password saying that it had been changed three months ago. I tried to change the password, but it demanded information about the last time I used it and for what app, and of course I've no idea. It wouldn't let me open a new account either. I must have spent over an hour bouncing around from one option or another, with no opportunity to discuss the problem with a human being.

Is there any way of getting to a human being to explain my situation? Or any way of sneaking in to open a new account? If I can't get a working account there is no point in buying the Nexus.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Don't think you can get to speak to google unless you are a paying customer

If you can get access into here (official google forums)
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/gmail

create a topic for unable to access your gmail account, you won't get a direct response from google initially, but the top contributors can pass things onto google employees for them to check it out

I have seen many topics about not being able to access accounts on here, so it should be possible
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Or any way of sneaking in to open a new account?
Why would you have to sneak in? It is certainly possible to have more than one gmail account. Our family has several. They obviously can not be identical account names, so you would have to pick a different username, or just add some numbers after your original name so that it is not identical.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Why would you have to sneak in? It is certainly possible to have more than one gmail account. Our family has several. They obviously can not be identical account names, so you would have to pick a different username, or just add some numbers after your original name so that it is not identical.
Thanks, Dave. I thought I'd tried your ideas by using Alexander instead of Alex as my user name, but Google still did not accept my application. On the other hand this was while bouncing around from one option to another. I'll try again from scratch.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Thanks, Dave. I thought I'd tried your ideas by using Alexander instead of Alex as my user name, but Google still did not accept my application. On the other hand this was while bouncing around from one option to another. I'll try again from scratch.
You could also try something like "Alex-Bell", "Alex2Bell" or "AllexBell321" just in case there are other Alex Bells somewhere in the world using other variants of your name. There can be one and ONLY one unique name before the "@gmail.com" part of the email address. You will get a refusal if another Alex Bell anywhere else in the world is already using the name variation that you want to use.

Good luck!!! It is possible.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Since your original account was probably only for email and never used I'd open a new gmail account and use that for your new nexus.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I thought I'd tried your ideas by using Alexander instead of Alex as my user name, but Google still did not accept my application.
Surely it's the email address, not the user name, that determines the uniqueness of an account? Rather than trying to create a second account with a different user name, you should create the account with a different email address.

Also, if I remember rightly, the email address doesn't have to be a Gmail address. I'm fairly sure I set up my account before I had a Gmail address.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks to you all. I really appreciate the suggestions.

I have been able to open a Google account after a lot of trouble. When I contacted Google Accounts a window showing both my Bigpond email address and the unusable password. After several tries I found a new user name which they would accept, and they gave me a Gmail account with than user name + gmail.com.

They've sent me some emails through that, and I can log on to Google Play Store. But so far I haven't been able to send myself and email from my usual Bigpond account to the Gmail address. I'll keep trying.