Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-12-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars
*grin* Nekokami, here you go!

How to Make a Full Auto Book Scanner
Whoa! That is SO COOL! And GEEKY!

I have an old slimscan C3 that might work for this....

(neko goes into mad scientist mode, and wanders off, chortling and mumbling in a rather unbalanced way....)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Here's a "real" solution for the rich...
http://www.i4u.com/article5131.html
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, at $35k, it's a bit too rich for my blood. Maybe I could talk my university into buying one.

My mad scientist plans came to an end when I realized that the LEGO solution will only work for books that can lie flat, which leaves out most of my fiction collection (though it could work well for some textbooks). I just need to find something interesting to do while I operate the scanner, I guess. Listen to language learning CDs, maybe.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami
I just need to find something interesting to do while I operate the scanner, I guess.
You can never be bored when you have Lego.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #20
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
*grin* Nekokami, here you go!

How to Make a Full Auto Book Scanner
Thanks sea2stars, I had seen that wlsewhere some time ago and was looking in the archive section of another site for the reference. Amazing what you can do with Lego blocks.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #21
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Heh. Glad to help. Yeah.. thankfully these Legos were used to promote the forces of good.

Hrmm.. any reason why this couldn't be adapted into something similar to the Atiz BookDrive DIY? For $3,499 you'd think it would turn the pages itself.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Heh. Glad to help. Yeah.. thankfully these Legos were used to promote the forces of good.

Hrmm.. any reason why this couldn't be adapted into something similar to the Atiz BookDrive DIY? For $3,499 you'd think it would turn the pages itself.
The Atiz now goes for $5,595 to $8,995 for the DIY series and the one with automatic page turning is priced on request only.

They do have a product called Snapter (trial version only, final version not yet released) that promises to turn your digital camera into a scanner and flatten out the curved pages in the picture. I just may try it.

Edit: At Atiz the download will not download and the notify section doesn't work.

Last edited by RWood; 02-12-2007 at 05:08 PM.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #23
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
You can never be bored when you have Lego.
Oh, I'm rarely bored. But when I have to use my hands and eyes for something tedious (and hence can't be playing with Legos, browsing the net, reading a book, etc.) I do need to cast about a bit more to avoid boredom.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #24
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Did I miss Part II?
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't think Bob's done it yet....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #26
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, that's been on hold for a bit. My apologies for the delay. Life is getting in the way at the moment. ;-) I do still intend to get back to it fairly soon, but in the meantime here's a peek at another alternative...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9780

OpticBook is great if you want to keep the book pristine and have flatbed scanning options. With it, you should be able to do just about any book, but it takes some work. Snapscan looks great if you can break (destroy) your books into clean cut free pages.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #27
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the OpticBook 3600 and the OpticBook 3600 Plus (other than $40 or so)? Thanks

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #28
stxopher
Nameless Being

I believe the difference is just the included software. Hard to tell from their site. It's...not very helpful. Opticbook comparison matrix.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #29
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
Is Part II still in the works? I was unsure that I wanted to purchase this scanner because of (a) the possibility that Plustek would not have the resources to distribute an updated, signed driver for Vista (which can be quite expensive for smaller hardware manufacturers), and (b) because I have yet to hear anyone's experiences using this product in conjunction with the Sony Reader. Plustek has since released OpticBook drivers for Vista, and Bob is the one reviewer I know of who's in the position of having the OpticBook and the Sony Reader, so I'm anxious for a complete testimonial.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #30
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Gameboy,

Thanks for the nice comment. Yes, part II is coming. I seem to be perpetually just on the verge! Might also make a comment or two about it in relation to the Canon all-in-one (which includes software-based duplex scanning and OCR) I got recently also.

But as far as the Sony Reader, I'd have to say that my solution is to OCR the book and then load it up as an RTF using the "famous" Word macro for formatting. Probably similar results to any other scanning solution.

The OpticBook is fantastic if you want to basically be able to scan any book easily, one page at a time. If you are willing to put in a lot of effort and experimentation, other solutions might get you results a little faster (scan two pages at a time, or pull apart a book and use an auto feed scanner, or flat scan two pages at a time and deal with the spine), but I don't think most people will want to deal with those problems. For most people, it's probably easier to take the extra time with the OpticBook and be able to do any book, and not have to worry about the details.

Just remember that while the OpticBook is great (and I do recommend it as long as people understand its market niche and the tradeoffs), you do have to invest quite a bit of time an energy to scan a large book. Unless you have the extra time, it's probably only something you'll do for books you REALLY want to have in e-book form, or that you need to convert for some reason.