Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
mmaimon
mmaimon began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
pdf convesion failed

i recieve this error:

Job: **Convert book: The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable (Random House, 2007)**
**tuple**: ('ConversionError', u'Error: PDF version 1.6 -- xpdf supports version 1.5 (continuing anyway)\r\n')
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 957, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 915, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 196, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 165, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 106, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 67, in generate_html
ConversionError: Error: PDF version 1.6 -- xpdf supports version 1.5 (continuing anyway)

**Log**:
('ConversionError', u'Error: PDF version 1.6 -- xpdf supports version 1.5 (continuing anyway)\r\n')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 957, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 915, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 196, in main
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\any\c onvert_from.py", line 165, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 106, in process_file
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\lrf\pdf\c onvert_from.py", line 67, in generate_html
ConversionError: Error: PDF version 1.6 -- xpdf supports version 1.5 (continuing anyway)
mmaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I also had a PDF-conversion error.

When I tried to convert the free PDF 'Assassin's Apprentice' by Robin Hobb (found on the Suvudu-site (www.suvudu.com)), Calibre said the PDF was DRM-protected.
But I could convert the PDF without problems using Mobipocket creator, so there is something not completely correct in Calibre.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR

As Kovid said here, calibre only supports PDF versions up to 1.5.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
does calibre v. 5 also support only pdf versions up to 1.5?

if this is the case, the software may be of only limited use to me.

i'm trying to convert a 2mb pdf v. 1.6 right now as a test, and it's been running for a while. shouldn't it fail immediately if it's not going to work? (it's an e-book made freely available to the world.)

Last edited by thorn; 03-11-2009 at 10:12 PM.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
does calibre v. 5 also support only pdf versions up to 1.5?

if this is the case, the software may be of only limited use to me.

i'm trying to convert a 2mb pdf v. 1.6 right now as a test, and it's been running for a while. shouldn't it fail immediately if it's not going to work? (it's an e-book made freely available to the world.)
Have you tried converting it down to an earlier version of PDF?
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by apswartz View Post
Have you tried converting it down to an earlier version of PDF?
I'm having the same problem, how does one do that?
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosst Amojan View Post
I'm having the same problem, how does one do that?
I would try the Ghostscript utilities.
Maybe convert the PDF to PS and back to PDF at a version lower.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/index.htm
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote