Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
wolfgang187
wolfgang187 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Calibre conversion problem

Everytime I use calibre to convert PDF to to .lrf the .lrf file will have page long spaces between random words in my Sony reader. Such as:

"But the great eye is on him. ‘Swine is it? how do you folk like being called swine by the muck- rakers of a dirty little wizard? It’s orc-flesh they eat, I’ll warrant.’ Many loud yells in orc-speech answered him, and the ringing clash of weapons being drawn. Cautiously pippin rolled over, hoping to

(the space between these 2 paragraphs is about a page and a half on the reader)

"see what would happen. his guards had gone to join in the fray. in the twilight he saw a large black orc, probably uglúk, standing fac- ing grishnákh, a short crook-legged creature, very broad and with long arms that hung almost to the ground. round them were many smaller goblins. pippin supposed that these were the ones from the north. They had drawn their knives and swords, but hesitated to at- tack uglúk."

This happens with every single PDF that i convert using this program. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by wolfgang187; 09-30-2008 at 06:09 AM.
wolfgang187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Use BookDesigner instead.
I had the same problem with Calibre and gave up. Calibre seems to lose all format information (paragraph starts). BookDesigner creates very nice formatted books.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Use BookDesigner instead.
I had the same problem with Calibre and gave up. Calibre seems to lose all format information (paragraph starts). BookDesigner creates very nice formatted books.
BookDesigner doesn't convert PDF's at all and in your case the problem is entirely you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang187 View Post
Everytime I use calibre to convert PDF to to .lrf the .lrf file will have page long spaces between random words in my Sony reader. Such as:

"But the great eye is on him. ‘Swine is it? how do you folk like being called swine by the muck- rakers of a dirty little wizard? It’s orc-flesh they eat, I’ll warrant.’ Many loud yells in orc-speech answered him, and the ringing clash of weapons being drawn. Cautiously pippin rolled over, hoping to

(the space between these 2 paragraphs is about a page and a half on the reader)

"see what would happen. his guards had gone to join in the fray. in the twilight he saw a large black orc, probably uglúk, standing fac- ing grishnákh, a short crook-legged creature, very broad and with long arms that hung almost to the ground. round them were many smaller goblins. pippin supposed that these were the ones from the north. They had drawn their knives and swords, but hesitated to at- tack uglúk."

This happens with every single PDF that i convert using this program. What am I doing wrong?
Hmm I suspect a regression is the page detection algorithm. Can you open a ticket and attach one of these problem PDF files.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Yarrow
Enthusiast
Yarrow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500& PRS505; iPad; and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm I suspect a regression is the page detection algorithm. Can you open a ticket and attach one of these problem PDF files.
When converting pdf docs using Calibre I have had the same problem in some cases i.e. broken end of line and then blank lines followed by the script from the point left off. When I've converted these pdfs to docs or rtf files I've noticed that this is occurring when there is a a bent arrow symbol at the end of the original line. I can't find a way to delete this formatting from within Word (as opposed to other formatting like redundant paragraph breaks).

Great if Calibre could sort this.
Yarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

open a ticket and attach a sample file, I'll have a look.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
wolfgang187
wolfgang187 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Quote:
Dunno what you mean by opening a ticket, so ill post the original pdf and he converted lrf files here. Its not just a few pdfs or anything, its every single pdf ive used, over 50 or so.

Buffy PDF

Buffy LRF
wolfgang187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can open a ticket by going to http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net, registering an account and clicking new ticket (that way I wont forget to look at your files, I tend to lose track of forum posts).
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
BookDesigner doesn't convert PDF's at all and in your case the problem is entirely you.
WELL IT DOES. And it performs MUCH better than Calibre.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
BlackVoid
Evangelist

Quote:
Dunno what you mean by opening a ticket, so ill post the original pdf and he converted lrf files here. Its not just a few pdfs or anything, its every single pdf ive used, over 50 or so.

Buffy PDF

Buffy LRF
Same for me, it is every PDF I tried to convert with Calibre, it comes out wrong. Pages with 2 sentences, paragraphs lost. No, it is not the PDF that is badly formatted because if you look at it, it is well formatted. Converting by BookDesigner preserves the formatting nicely. Calibre messes it up.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:

Buffy PDF

Buffy LRF
Ummm, i'm almost certain it's not legal to post those links. Just a heads up.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Same for me, it is every PDF I tried to convert with Calibre, it comes out wrong. Pages with 2 sentences, paragraphs lost. No, it is not the PDF that is badly formatted because if you look at it, it is well formatted. Converting by BookDesigner preserves the formatting nicely. Calibre messes it up.
So instead of complaining, open a ticket and attach files demonstrating the problem.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you actually tried a decently formatted PDF and not one created by someone who used a really poor source? In otherwords, not a PDF downloaded from the Darknet but a real PDF properly created.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote