Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks arjaybe. That sound really good but I'm not sure how I would do that. My website is greggbell.net. So here's the "Contact" url:

http://www.greggbell.net/contact.html

Okay, if that's a (tiny) url in a Tweet it takes them to the contact page. But I want it to take them to the flash fiction story directly. I mean, from what you're saying, it sounds like it can be done. I just don't know how to do it. Like, where would I put the .epub? How would I get the connecting url to be:

http://www.greggbell.net/downloads/flashstory.epub

I just don't know how it would be done.
You need to be able to upload files to your website. Can you do that? If you can, then the URL would just have to point at them.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
make a new page and upload 'em
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #18
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
I'm getting a little closer to figuring it out. See, a while back I asked a Go Daddy guy if I could post docs on my site. He said the only way was to type on the site or post buttons with links to pdfs. So that's what I did for the excerpts to my books. I also was under the impression that I only got the four tabs (what I thought were "pages") but now it looks like I get the four tabs and I don't know how many pages. I'm going to call them soon and find out more. Thanks for all the help.

P.S. Still not sure about uploading files. They're talking about using a FTP server. I don't know. I'll ask them when I call.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FTP is most likely how it will be done. Hopefully there will be an easy way for you to do it, without having to see the guts of it..
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
FTP is most likely how it will be done. Hopefully there will be an easy way for you to do it, without having to see the guts of it..
Ah, but that could become the seed for yet another flash fiction story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't understand what you mean when you say "I only have 4 tabs on my website", Gregg. If it's your website, you can put whatever you want on it, surely?

I'd simply have a "downloads" page on the site with links to the stories in ePub and Kindle formats.
Sort of - he is not actually making his website. He is using:

Go Daddy Website Builder v7.0.80

So he is limited to only what that tool will give him.

My suggestion for Gregg would be first to find a new host that was more flexible, then put your flash fiction on your own site.

A second option would be a site like Wattpad where you could join the community and upload your fiction there for consumption.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #22
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for hanging with me when I kept not getting it! LOL I got talked through the whole thing today with a GoDaddy tech. I do get unlimited pages, and I can have direct links to the pages. (As well as a nice drop-down feature (from the "Free Flash Fiction" heading) on the "home" page to help visitors to the website pick a flash fiction story.)

[Self-Promotion is not allowed in this forum - and you know this - MODERATOR]

So now I can just put all my flash fiction in there. I really don't think I would've done it without you guys, especially because I didn't think it could be done. Really appreciate you hanging with me and encouraging me through it all.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-24-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #23
mrmarlowe
Zealot
mrmarlowe began at the beginning.

Device: Caliber
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Why not put a collection of your flash fiction stories together and publish them at Smashwords?

+to that. In fact I have published 'single' flash fiction stories on both Amazon and smashwords.
mrmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #24
arjaybe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
Thanks for hanging with me when I kept not getting it! LOL I got talked through the whole thing today with a GoDaddy tech. I do get unlimited pages, and I can have direct links to the pages. (As well as a nice drop-down feature (from the "Free Flash Fiction" heading) on the "home" page to help visitors to the website pick a flash fiction story.)

[Self-Promotion is not allowed in this forum - and you know this - MODERATOR]

So now I can just put all my flash fiction in there. I really don't think I would've done it without you guys, especially because I didn't think it could be done. Really appreciate you hanging with me and encouraging me through it all.
The deciding factor was your persistence. Congratulations.

rjb
Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #25
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
The deciding factor was your persistence. Congratulations.

rjb
Thanks rjb
Old 03-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #26
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

glad to see you solved it
Old 03-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #27
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
glad to see you solved it
thanks Glorfindel
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #28
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

no prob