Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-20-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
jean8389she
jean8389she began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Question To jailbreak a unjailbroken old-version device which being autoupdated?

Hello everyone,
I just buy a kindle pw2, and I didn't know 5.6.x can't be jailbroken unless you open it. It is my fault and I've learned a lesson.

This kindle was bought by a seller from Japan, May 2014.
And I bought it from the seller online.
The 5.6.x version was first released in Dec. 2014, right?
If I don't misunderstand, my kindle is not installed with 5.6.x., and it was auto-updated to 5.6.1.0.6 just after I turned it on.

So, please let me know:
Is it possible to jailbreak a kindle pw2 which was never jailbroken, not installed with 5.6.x but, unfortunately, autoupdated to 5.6.x?

Sorry for my poor English, and thanks in advance!

ps. I just want to install koreader because I need to read lots of PDF files.
I dare not open it! With my hands messing on it, it will absolutely become a trash!

Last edited by jean8389she; 06-20-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: some notes
jean8389she is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, doesn't matter what the initial factory status was, what's on it *now* is what matters.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8389she View Post
I just want to install koreader because I need to read lots of PDF files.
AFAIK, the PDF component of KOReader uses parts of the k2pdfopt code for the reflow feature. If you have lots of PDF files you may want to check out k2pdfopt, which allows you to reformat large pdf files for 6" screens.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
jean8389she

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Nope, doesn't matter what the initial factory status was, what's on it *now* is what matters.
I'm thinking if I should open it

Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 05:09 AM   #5
jean8389she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, the PDF component of KOReader uses parts of the k2pdfopt code for the reflow feature. If you have lots of PDF files you may want to check out k2pdfopt, which allows you to reformat large pdf files for 6" screens.
Installing this need not jailbreak, or I have to reflow and output a new PDF and then send to my kindle?
Thank you
Advert
Old 06-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8389she View Post
Installing this need not jailbreak, or I have to reflow and output a new PDF and then send to my kindle?
Thank you
k2pdfopt is a standalone pdf-to-pdf converter. I.e., it takes a large .pdf file and reflows the text so that it fits a Kindle screen. Afterwards you'll have to manually copy the new .pdf file to your Kindle.
It's fully automatic, however, you can also customize the converter to get better results. For more information also see this thread.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak