Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am going through a similar process although I have a few hundred rather than thousand freebies to sort through. Most of them are older. These days I am more thoughtful in what I select. I am a hoarder too so there is a momentary flash of anxiety before I hit that delete button. However I know I will feel much better mentally when my library is cleaner, and I can focus on the books that I really want to read. My TBR is already too long so why make it anymore overwhelming than it needs to be!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Getting rid of about 1,000 titles is probably too small a number. I'm now considering permanently deleting about 1500 - 1600 freebie titles.

However, the actual process of deleting them is a daunting task, since Amazon does not allow for bulk deletions, to the best of my knowledge.
Try one of these bookmarklets for your browser, they make mass deleting things much easier.

http://massdestroykindleitems.com/
http://pepa.info/check-and-delete/

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Like some others that have posted, I rarely see that part of my Amazon account. I do occasionally check for updated books, but that's it.

I have about 3500 books in calibre. They are organized (for the most part ) so that I can easily find what I want (whether a specific author / title, or genre, etc) at any given time.

I do not permanently delete books. I do have an archive library, but that's to store originals of omnibuses / collections that I split into individual books, that sort of thing. My main library has search filters that I use to hide / show books I've already read, books I marked as did-not-finish, etc.

It doesn't matter if I never get around to reading them. I read in so many genres that it's always a possibility that a particular book will get read at some point, and that's enough reason to keep it. It's kind of like my music collection. Nearly 20,000 tracks from nearly every genre you can imagine. And each on is there because I wanted it there. If I'm in the mood for Classical, it's there. Blues? Got it covered. Demonic-sounding surf guitar extravaganzas? Absolutely.

I totally understand deleting books you know you'll never read. I just don't think I have any that I can say that about with 100% certainty. Just in case you thought I was screaming in horror at the idea of someone deleting a book. I'm not. I just don't do it myself.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Try one of these bookmarklets for your browser, they make mass deleting things much easier.

http://massdestroykindleitems.com/
http://pepa.info/check-and-delete/

Andrew

Thank you.

I wasn't aware of these, but there is an inherent danger in using them, aS I discovered from reading a bit from the second linked item. From the 'check-and-delete' page, there is this warning:

"WARNING:
Before you start using this bookmarklet, you should understand why including a third party javascript to your Amazon page is risky. This is in fact true about all bookmarklets that link to some other server and download javascript from it. My bookmarklet does it as well as MDKI mentioned below. The linked code will have the same permissions that you have yourself. It can "click" links and do stuff in your Amazon account. You really have to trust the script author that he's not going to do anything bad. Verifying the code is a good thing to do but will not save your bacon for ever. The author can change the script at any time and you won't be able to tell. Or a hacker can break into the script hosting website and add malicious code without the script author having a clue. That's why I link myk-check-delete.js from googlecode.com. I hope that Google's server will be more difficult to hack" :-)

DON

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-11-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I do admit that I'm quite often puzzled by the line of reasoning that places some sort of qualitative merit on a personal library's "ability" to be entirely consumed within the time constraints of its curator's life-span. *shrugs*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Don,

Don't let it worry you. It's only electrons...

I first went through this problem when I had paper books and only had so much space to store books in. I would cull the paper books and sell them used. I don't get too many freebie books, but I have around 1400 books on my library. There's around 100 more titles I would like to add, if I could buy decent e-book versions.

We were reared to believe that books were the finest flower of civilization (true), and that they were scarce. They aren't scarce any more. So don't worry about deleting those you don't want, either somebody else will save them (for whatever reason), or they weren't worth saving.

RSE (Cabell fan)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I need to do it get rid of the samples I have sitting in my nook and Amazon accounts. They have no value beyond looking at them the first time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I do not permanently delete books. I do have an archive library, but that's to store originals of omnibuses / collections that I split into individual books, that sort of thing. My main library has search filters that I use to hide / show books I've already read, books I marked as did-not-finish, etc...
This is the same thing that I do with EpubSplit. It's good to know someone else is doing what I am doing with the books that I have split.

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I do admit that I'm quite often puzzled by the line of reasoning that places some sort of qualitative merit on a personal library's "ability" to be entirely consumed within the time constraints of its curator's life-span. *shrugs*
For me it's not about merit so much as pragmatism. I like being able to browse my library and find my next book to read. Yes I can search and filter and so on but with so many books, especially many that I may not remember when or where or why I downloaded them, it's harder. In any case I've no fear that should I suddenly get a hankering for a particular book or type of book that I don't currently have that it will have disappeared. If I really thought that then I would download it. It most cases either it'll still be there later or I won't really miss it that much.

Part of restricting my library is about making sure I don't have a crippling amount of choice right now.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #25
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I need to do it get rid of the samples I have sitting in my nook and Amazon accounts. They have no value beyond looking at them the first time.
Samples are not kept in your Amazon account, only on your device/app. I don't know how Nook does it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I guess I can understand that, somewhat, @latepaul. It's just that I've never really experienced being "crippled with choice." I just start reading something. If it hooks me, I keep reading it. It it doesn't hook me, I set it aside for another day. If a book gets "set aside" too many times, it will likely be discarded. I just never give myself any opportunity to NOT be reading something.

It seems to me that many people spend a lot of energy/time making sure they're going to love a book before they read a single word of it. Whereas I'm not afraid to start a book I may wind up hating after two chapters and discarding it for something else. Different strokes, I guess.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #27
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
This is why I don't do "indie" until it has a good following/rating on Goodreads.
Too much drek out there...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I've got around 600 freebies segregated in their own calibre library. I haven't bothered sorting or deleting them, they take up very little space on my computer so I'm fine keeping them around. Most aren't actually indies, they were published by small presses or self-published after getting rights back from the bigger publishers. I tend to avoid straight up indies.

I have only read a small fraction of them and probably won't read most, but every few months I load 20 on my reader and try out a few. I have actually found two authors I like the past year this way and have gone on to read more of their books.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Samples are not kept in your Amazon account, only on your device/app. I don't know how Nook does it.
Nook samples have to be deleted from your account library. They sync with your various devices just like purchased books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Yes, it's something I an considering. When I first got an reader I accumulated any freebie that was enormously of interest, and now find myself with a larger library than I'm ever likely to read through. I haven't done anything about it yet, but sooner or later, I think I will thin the ranks.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote