Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
This is Goodbye..

Hey guys, after wrangling with Kobo CS for a month or so now I have finally decided to return my Vox and revisit the ereader and/or tablet market later once the value/dollar ratio improves.

It was a hard decision to make, but *for me* the Vox was incapable of performing as advertised, and was severely underpowered. This community has been great however, and I will happily return if I brave the ereader waters again!

As a preorder customer, like many of you, I was really rooting for the Vox. The most recent update almost won me over, but then the sleep/wake issues and poor web video playback made my decision for me. I may get a Playbook, save up for an iPad, or just wait it out. I hope you guys enjoy your Voxes, and keep on reading!

Last edited by Anjohl; 01-13-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
Wait for the new asus 7 inch tablet
That's all I have to say.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
markT4
Enthusiast
markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.markT4 is the One.

Device: none
I believe this is what spikexp is referring to:

http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-s...osts-just-249/

I agree that tablet looks amazing for $249. Also Google stated that they're developing a Nexus tablet of the "highest quality" (Eric Schmidt) that is rumored to be under $300. It be interesting to see what Google can do with their vast recourses. In general though they're probably going to be a lot of amazing tablets for under $300 in the upcoming year.
markT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Quad core Tegra, sweet!
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Wow. I may be very tempted to give my Vox to the local library.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yeah, I am sure we're going to see more than these two this year. The Vox is already obsolete, really - but so was my phone when I signed my 3 year contract with the cell provider. Thankfully, both my Vox and my phone do what I want them to do, so I won't be in a hurry to get rid of either of them!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Yeah, I am sure we're going to see more than these two this year. The Vox is already obsolete, really - but so was my phone when I signed my 3 year contract with the cell provider. Thankfully, both my Vox and my phone do what I want them to do, so I won't be in a hurry to get rid of either of them!
I feel the same way. I purchased the Samsung Galaxy SII one 3 year contract and one month later the nexus was out.

I was contemplating buying a Kobo Touch and then the Vox came out. As with anything new technology very quickly becomes yesterday's news. You just need to select what you think is going to best suit your needs and try to not to get distracted by the new shinny things that will come out a week down the road.

I love my Vox for what it does. Sure it would be nice if it were a little faster but for the price it was when I purchased it I am happy with the purchase. For if I did believe I needed something faster it would inevitably come with a higher price tag.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
unfortunately the problem with the Vox was that it was obsolete even before it was released compared to the competition. I have to say that the 10 year old does love the vox, but does complain of slowdowns and freezes to the point she returns to her regular kobo wifi pretty often. I think I may also consider the new asus as an upgrade for her once they come out.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #9
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Update: I decided to buy a Playbook, though not primarily as an ereader. A few months back, I bought a Kobo touch for $50 or so used, and a leather book-like magnetic case from Skindigital. I am in my GLEE. The Kobo touch is *the* definitive ereading experience. No offense to anyone that does, but I can't imagine using a Vox or Playbook, etc as a primary source to read books. The Eink is just a dream. The Kobo Touch might be the best bang for buck electronic device I ever bought.

So I guess my advice is, get a tablet for tablet needs, and an ereader for reading. In my case, combined I have $145 sunk in for both together, which is 3/4's what the Vox cost me initially, so I have my cake and am eating it too!

I wish all of you Vox owners the best, I hope the addition of the Play store helped out somewhat, and that Kobo fixed the wake/sleep problem, and got netflix working!
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I wish all of you Vox owners the best, I hope the addition of the Play store helped out somewhat, and that Kobo fixed the wake/sleep problem, and got netflix working!
What was wrong with Netflix? I got Netflix working on my Vox on Christmas Day 2011. I simply downloaded the installer from a website (it's been nearly 11 months so I don't recall which one, but might have been goodereaders.com) and it worked like a charm. Still does, last I checked.

Though I too did side-grade from the Vox to an e-ink reader, I waited for the Kobo Glo to do that. Now *that's* what I call having your cake and eating it too with an e-reader.

Though price-wise, your combo of used Touch with a Playbook is definitely a winner.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote