Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Flasharino
Flasharino began at the beginning.

Device: Android 800x480
Multiple Series Suggestion

Kovid - I appreciate all the time and effort you have put in on Calibre. The software is great. I use it all the time. I do have a suggestion that would be nice if you see fit to apply it.

It would be nice to be able to enter more than one Series (name & number) for a book. Some authors, such as Anne McCaffrey make 'spin-off' series from existing series, so a given book may actually be of an existing series as well as the first book in a new series. I would think that 2 or 3 entries would be enough. If the multiple series could appear vertically in the same, existing 'Series' column rather than in new column(s) that would be great too.

As it is now it is not possible to properly catalog such multi-series books.

Thanks.
Flasharino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasharino View Post
Kovid - I appreciate all the time and effort you have put in on Calibre. The software is great. I use it all the time. I do have a suggestion that would be nice if you see fit to apply it.

It would be nice to be able to enter more than one Series (name & number) for a book. Some authors, such as Anne McCaffrey make 'spin-off' series from existing series, so a given book may actually be of an existing series as well as the first book in a new series. I would think that 2 or 3 entries would be enough. If the multiple series could appear vertically in the same, existing 'Series' column rather than in new column(s) that would be great too.

As it is now it is not possible to properly catalog such multi-series books.

Thanks.
:Welcome: to MR and the Calibre section.

What you ask for is technically not feasible
How do you sort the same book on 2 differences of the same item? It is a 'Either or' case.

Look at enabling the Hierarchical option.
then your series can be Pern.Harperhall, Pern.Renegades, Pern.Dragon Riders

Then maintain the base series as the numbering (this should still keep the books in reading order, just not exact sub series numbering). Unfortunately this will be a manual operation as the auto-number works only on the current series name (another issue preventing Auto-numbering on the base is how to make this apply only to selected 'Base' series )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
I have a slightly convoluted suggestion, but it works for me for this, and for magazines and anthologies.

Use the Hierarchical option theducks explained to name the series.subseries. Then create a blank / empty book for each of the subseries as a placeholder.

Use the wonderful Manage Series Plugin to number the placeholders as integers and the books within the series with decimals. This keeps it all organized for me.

Using Pern, as an example

Pern.Dragonriders [1] Placeholder / empty book
Pern.Dragonriders [1.01] Dragonflight
Pern.Dragonriders [1.02] Dragon Quest
Pern.Dragonriders [1.03] The White Dragon

Pern.Harper Hall [2] Placeholder
Pern.Harper Hall [2.01] Dragonsong
Pern.Harper Hall [2.02] Dragonsinger

Pern.Renegades [3] Placeholder
Pern.Renegades [3.01] Moreta

etc.

Does this help? I use this to keep track of authors I am following through magazines and anthologies.
GeekyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Geekygal

Both our systems use the Hierarchical option.
which does not show the order in the 'Pern' series view when exported.
I get a Pern folder and sub folders for the branches

If I read the O/P correctly:
They want the Pern series to reflect the release order and also track the series. Since other parts of the series may be interleaved, the Integer part fails to reflect this.
I don't see a way to do both views together.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
What I did was to create a series like custom column called sub series. And put that information in that column.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I created another column for my Calibre too for sub-series. It doesn't translate to my e-reader, though.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I have Sony PRS readers, so I went into the Device Plug In and added that custom column to the list of what collections are made, so I get a collection for the main series and a collection for the sub series.

So the book shows up in the proper order in the main series collection and also in the sub series collection.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #8
Starbreaker
Starbreaker began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I didn't know that was possible. I learn something new about Calibre every day.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote