Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Customising the Calibre "Send To" Function

I have a rather large memory card in my reader and I prefer to save the books to this instead of in the device's memory. On this card, I have several folders. I want to customise the "Send to" function to send to specific folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibre Manual
You can control the file name and folder structure of files sent to the device by setting up a template in Preferences->Import/Export->Sending books to devices. Also see The calibre template language.
Looking at that setting it is not clear to me what I need to do.. Would it be possible to get some advice?
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
I have a rather large memory card in my reader and I prefer to save the books to this instead of in the device's memory. On this card, I have several folders. I want to customise the "Send to" function to send to specific folders.

Looking at that setting it is not clear to me what I need to do.. Would it be possible to get some advice?
The template can use any of the listed (on the form) field values individually or compounded as folder names or Filenames.
You can also include Literals. Example :

Code:
{series[0]}-series/{series}/{series_index:0>2s} {title}_{authors}
To avoid folder congestion
The {series[0]} takes the first letter of the Series name and add the Orange Literal, results in: A-series folder
Now I put the full series name as folder into the previous folder
Then I use the Index value in front of the title (so the filename sorts in proper series index order. I toss in Author just FYI
Not Author must be last as a series may have DIFFERENT authors and we want RELEASE ORDER
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #3
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thank you so much TheDucks!
Am stuck in a hotel room with a headache and nothing to do but try to figure this out... But I just feel stupid when I look in the manual.

I suppose I save the preferences in the "Save Template" field?

I took a look at the Calibre template language and at the moment it feels like most of it is way OTT from what I want to achieve.

All I want to be able to do is to select "Save to Device" and then be able to select from my existing folders on a memory card. I can't figure out how to achieve this.

My memory card shows in Windows explorer as F:
My folders are called:
创创创创创创创创创
Fiction
Non-Fiction
Spr錵
Travel
Manuals
创创创创创创

I just want a convenient way to select a number of ebooks and send to one of the above folders on the memory card.

I.e. Save to device "F:\Fiction"
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The save template you want to review is in the Plugin Device driver. If you can't adjust that driver to do what you want then you might want to disable that driver and use the Connect to Folder feature instead. I know you can do what you want with the Connect to Folder and the Folder Device plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much TheDucks!
Am stuck in a hotel room with a headache and nothing to do but try to figure this out... But I just feel stupid when I look in the manual.

I took a look at the Calibre template language and at the moment it feels like most of it is way OTT from what I want to achieve.

All I want to be able to do is to select "Save to Device" and then be able to select from my existing folders on a memory card. I can't figure out how to achieve this.

My memory card shows in Windows explorer as F:
My folders are called:
创创创创创创创创创
Fiction
Non-Fiction
Spr錵
Travel
Manuals

创创创创创创

I just want a convenient way to select a number of ebooks and send to one of the above folders on the memory card.

I.e. Save to device "F:\Fiction"
Let us assume that you have a custom column called Genere with one of the values in Green assigned to each book.

Send to Device-Carda takes care of the drive Letter once you configure that to always send to CardA.

Your template:
{#genere}/{title}-{authors} for Title order
or
{#genere}/{author_sort}-{title} for Author Sort order

whatever is in the Genere column becomes the first level folder

Beware that FAT filesystems has limits on how many files AND folders can be in the root of a drive. Most SD cards <4G are FAT

Don't get crazy with different Generes and you will be OK
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Thanks for the fast response!
Let's see what I can achieve now that I have a concrete example.

1) Created bespoke column called "cfolder". This is essentially "Category", only I didn't use that word because I thought that it's probably already in use.

2) Assigned values to cfolder for the books in library, based on the names of the folders on my memory card. I.e cfolder="Fiction"

3) Looked at the Plugins, after reading dwanthny's advice. How can I find the plugin that you are talking about?

4) Looking for "Send to Device Card A" that TheDucks is talking about. I remember seeing it in Calibre 7, but now I am on v8 and I can't find it... Continuing to look...

5) Modified the string for the template, but I am not sure if I did it correctly. How is it going to know what drive the folder is at? I can't figure out how to set that.

6) In the Calibre Library, I am right clicking on the name of a book, and selecting "Save to Device" "Main Memory" (Memory card A and B are greyed out (?) even though there is a memory card in the Reader)
This creates a new folder called "Books" which I did not ask for. In this folder, Calibre creates the folders that corresponds to the value that I entered in "cfolder".

This is almost exactly what I wanted to achieve, although I'd rather not have the "Books" folder, but save straight into the folders that I specified. Where is it telling it to use this "Books" folder? Or maybe that is something specific for my Reader?

Secondly I don't understand whether Windows / Calibre recognises my Irex reader and it's 16 GB memory card, or not.... Or does it think it's one and the same?
When I connect the Irex Windows displays the Irex like a 16GB drive. Calibre knows it's an Irex, but it doesn't seem to realise that the reader has it's own memory, and then there is an SD card. How can I "educate" Calibre about this, are there any settings etc?

Last edited by martienne; 07-09-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Secondly I don't understand whether Windows / Calibre recognises my Irex reader and it's 16 GB memory card, or not.... Or does it think it's one and the same?
Calibre recognizes the device. If it didn't, send to device wouldn't work.
Quote:
When I connect the Irex Windows displays the Irex like a 16GB drive. Calibre knows it's an Irex, but it doesn't seem to realise that the reader has it's own memory, and then there is an SD card. How can I "educate" Calibre about this, are there any settings etc?
Run "Debug Device Detection" (preferences -> misc -> debug device detection) with the Irex plugged in, then post the results.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Calibre recognizes the device. If it didn't, send to device wouldn't work.Run "Debug Device Detection" (preferences -> misc -> debug device detection) with the Irex plugged in, then post the results.

OUTPUT FROM DEBUG DEVICE DETECTION
:

Version: 0.8.9
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b34&rev0006',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid8086&pid3b3c&rev0006',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201&mi_01',
u'usb\\vid_046d&pid_c52b&rev_1201&mi_02',
u'usb\\vid_05e3&pid_0608&rev_7764',
u'usb\\vid_07b4&pid_0126&rev_0100',
u'usb\\vid_13d3&pid_5122&rev_0202',
u'usb\\vid_13d3&pid_5122&rev_0202&mi_00',
u'usb\\vid_1e6b&pid_0002&rev_0322',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000',
u'usb\\vid_8087&pid_0020&rev_0000']
Drives detected:
(0) H:\ ~ \\?\STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_IREX&PROD_ DR800&REV_0322#8&D55514B&0&CNGYG-AJPHR_&0#{53F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}
(0) F:\ ~ \\?\STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_OLYMPUS&PR OD_VG110_D700&REV_1.00#8&39982FE6&0&UJCA03097&0#{5 3F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}
Available plugins: ADAM ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID ARCHOS7O AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK
BLACKBERRY BOEYE_BDX BOEYE_BEX BOOQ BOOX COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52 E71X
EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER ELONEX ESLICK
FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5 ILIAD INVESBOOK
IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA ITUNES JETBOOK
JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO LIBREAIR LUMIREAD MENTOR
MIBUK MOOVYBOOK N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2
ORIZON PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO PICO POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK360P POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 README S60 SHINEBOOK
SNE SOVOS SPECTRA STASH SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK
TREKSTOR USER_DEFINED VELOCITYMICRO WEXLER

Looking for devices...
u'usb\\vid_1e6b&pid_0002&rev_0322'
Detected possible device IREXDR800

Devices possibly connected: IRex Digital Reader 800 Device Interface,
Trying to open IRex Digital Reader 800 Device Interface ... OK
Main memory: 'H:\\'
Total space: (15923150848L, 0, 0)
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
According to that log, there is only one drive being detected for the Irex (Drive H and Calibre thinks it is is the main memory from the USB id information.

Note: It is possible to disable the auto-detection of device by disabling the iRex plugin under Preferences->Plugins->Device Interface plugins and then use the "Connect to Folder" feature within Calibre to get a folder treated as a pseudo-device. Which way you go is up to you.

Last edited by itimpi; 07-09-2011 at 08:34 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

OUTPUT FROM DEBUG DEVICE DETECTION
:
Version: 0.8.9
Drives detected:
(0) H:\ ~ \\?\STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_IREX&PROD_ DR800&REV_0322#8&D55514B&0&CNGYG-AJPHR_&0#{53F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}

(0) F:\ ~ \\?\STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_OLYMPUS&PR OD_VG110_D700&REV_1.00#8&39982FE6&0&UJCA03097&0#{5 3F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}#{53F5630D-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}
That says that your reader is advertizing only one storage location, something some 16GB large. Looking at calibre's device driver, the disk your reader advertized is what the driver expects to see. Apparently the main memory of your reader cannot be accessed in any standard fashion.

The output also says that you have what appears to be an Olympus camera plugged in, but that shouldn't perturb anything.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Thanks for explaining. I'll follow up on what's going on with this, and post back shortly.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:

This is almost exactly what I wanted to achieve, although I'd rather not have the "Books" folder, but save straight into the folders that I specified. Where is it telling it to use this "Books" folder? Or maybe that is something specific for my Reader?

Calibre knows it's an Irex, but it doesn't seem to realise that the reader has it's own memory, and then there is an SD card. How can I "educate" Calibre about this, are there any settings etc?
The "books" folder is out of anyone's control. The Device Vendor decided that is where (book) stuff would go that is sent down the USB cable.
Note: A number of devices work Similar to yours.

'Books' might be the internal 'mount point' for the SD Card. Take the card Out and stuff goes to the Main Storage (My Nikon L14Camera works that way. No User choosing allowed)