Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Shoopmana
Shoopmana began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Update Problems

Today I updated my kobo ereader to version 1.8.3, and ever since then, it won't connect to my computer. When I plug it in, it doesnt recognize that there is something plugged in. I've restarted my computer, rebooted the ereader, and done a factory reset, and all to no avail. When I plug the ereader in, it will ask me if I want to manage my library or keep reading, and when I select manage, it will freeze up on the next screen, so I have to restart it again. Is anybody else having this problem? and if so, does anyone know how to solve it?
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Shoopmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Have you noticed on your kobo screen there is an option to continue reading or manage library? You select 1 of those by using the left/right button and hitting the centre button on your choice... so if you select manage library and then click the centre button, your computer should recognize your kobo at that point.

If it doesn't, let us know...

EDinNB
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Shoopmana

yeah, I select manage library, and the ereader goes to the next screen, as if it is connected to the computer, but it never shows up on my computer.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
ninicraftone
ninicraftone began at the beginning.

Are you plugging the kobo directly into the computer or is there a usb hub that you are using? My sister has a kobo / usb / computer arrangement that won't work to mount the kobo. She has to unplug the usb hub and plug the kobo directly into the computer. I have no idea why.

Also, I have occasionally had trouble with various external drives not mounting correctly and have solved the problem by assigning a drive letter manually by right clicking the computer icon on the desktop, choosing 'manage', then 'storage' > 'disk management', right click on the drive if you see it listed and 'change drive letters and paths'. If you don't see the drive try 'rescan' under 'action' on the toolbar. That has worked for me in the past (not for a kobo but for other usb drives that would not mount).

I hope one of these suggestions helps.

Last edited by ninicraftone; 02-11-2011 at 03:46 AM.
ninicraftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #5
Shoopmana

I'm using the usb cord that came with the kobo to connect it to the computer. I've tried using a different cord, so that isnt the problem. I tried to change the letter path, but the reader didnt show up even after I rescaned it. I'm at a total loss of what to do here
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
misticaleclipse
misticaleclipse began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoopmana View Post
I'm using the usb cord that came with the kobo to connect it to the computer. I've tried using a different cord, so that isnt the problem. I tried to change the letter path, but the reader didnt show up even after I rescaned it. I'm at a total loss of what to do here

What software are you using to load books on the kobo?

Which reset have you done of the Kobo, the button on the back, or the one in the settings?

Its unlikely since it happened after you did the upgrade, but have you tried another USB port on your pc? Or tested another device in the usb slot to ensure its working?
misticaleclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
ninicraftone
ninicraftone began at the beginning.

Try it on someone else's computer to see if it is a problem with your kobo or computer. If it mounts on a second computer then the problem is not the kobo.

Also, if you have and sd card in the kobo try mounting it with the card removed.

If the problem is the kobo because it won't mount on any computer then try reinstalling the firmware again.

If your problem is with your computer because the kobo mounted fine on a different machine then maybe try these suggestions:

Do you have mapped network drives? Virtual Drives mounted by alcohol or Daemon tools? External hard drives? An sd card in the kobo or on the computer? or Try getting rid of all of these temporarily by removing, unmapping, disconnecting, or disabling in hardware manager.

Plug in the kobo and see if it shows in the device manager. Yellow triangle warnings?
Try the manage computer routine /rescan and manually assign drive letter again with all other possible drives removed.
ninicraftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #8
Shoopmana

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse View Post
What software are you using to load books on the kobo?

Which reset have you done of the Kobo, the button on the back, or the one in the settings?

Its unlikely since it happened after you did the upgrade, but have you tried another USB port on your pc? Or tested another device in the usb slot to ensure its working?
The software I use is the borders desktop app, and calibre. I have reset it using both the button on the back, and the one in the settings. I've plugging it into different ports, and a different computer and it's always the same. The kobo realizes that it is connected to the computer, but the computer does not even recognize it. I would try to re-install the firmware, but I don't know how to do that since I can't get it to connect to a computer.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

I know that 49 out of 50 times I don't turn my laptop off...I put it to sleep and then reawaken it when I want to get going. However even small changes in hardware/software may need you to do a complete shut-down to work properly.

If you haven't shut the computer down and done a fresh reboot since the install, try that.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, kobo ereader, update problems