Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
simmepimme
simmepimme is on a distinguished road

pielrf GUI for Mac OSX

This is also mentioned in the actual pielrf thread, but since the mention is on page 4 and hence difficult to find for new readers, I thought a separate thread could be convenient.

PielrfGUI is an extremely simple GUI application wrapping the pielrf library; it's for users feeling uncomfortable with using the command line. Same version numbering as the pielrf library itself.

Please note that you have to install python version 2.5 or higher by yourself (simple instructions available inside application), and that I'm not the developer of the pielrf library; any praise should go to EatingPie, and any blame for things not working to me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PielrfGUI_2.1.2.dmg.zip (376.5 KB, 928 views)
simmepimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmepimme View Post
This is also mentioned in the actual pielrf thread, but since the mention is on page 4 and hence difficult to find for new readers, I thought a separate thread could be convenient.

PielrfGUI is an extremely simple GUI application wrapping the pielrf library; it's for users feeling uncomfortable with using the command line. Same version numbering as the pielrf library itself.

Please note that you have to install python version 2.5 or higher by yourself (simple instructions available inside application), and that I'm not the developer of the pielrf library; any praise should go to EatingPie, and any blame for things not working to me.
Does this GUI run under Python or is it a stand alone application?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
simmepimme

Stand alone; python 2.5 or higher is necessary for pielrf, but the actual application is Cocoa & Objective-C all the way.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Simme

I downloaded the GUIPielrf and installed both PieLRF and Python 2.5.1 When I try to "Install Library PieLRF" I get the following error log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 82, in <module>
symlink(element_dir+"/elementtree", element_link)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system

??Help??

Mark
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
simmepimme

I suspect it's because pielrf library needs to be installed where only users in the admin group have write access, and I haven't implemented the calls to show the user the normal "Input admin user and password" panel and use this for installing.
So you would need to either run as a user in admin group first time using PielrfGUI for installing pielrf library, or install pielrf without PielrfGUI application, or wait for me to implement the proper calls for enabling installation with the proper access rights.
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
Simme

I downloaded the GUIPielrf and installed both PieLRF and Python 2.5.1 When I try to "Install Library PieLRF" I get the following error log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 82, in <module>
symlink(element_dir+"/elementtree", element_link)
OSError: [Errno 30] Read-only file system

??Help??

Mark
simmepimme's explanation is the most likely. You don't have access rights to the python directory. This is quickly remedied by the following:
sudo python setup.py install
You will then type your password, and all should be well.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 01:53 AM   #7
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Let me say a hearty THANKS! to simmepimme for creating this GUI!

I put a link to here from the Pielrf thread to make it easier to find.

-Pie
Old 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Here is what I got.

Last login: Tue Jul 3 05:29:48 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$ sudo python setup.py install

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Just in case it worked I ran PieLRF, installed the Library and the error on trying to save the LRF file was...

env: python: No such file or directory

Note that Python 2.5.1 installed in Applications/MacPython 2.5/

I had forgotten the headaches of debugging. Its been years.

Mark

Last edited by MMascaro; 07-03-2007 at 09:47 AM.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
EatingPie
Blueberry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
Here is what I got.

Last login: Tue Jul 3 05:29:48 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
pool-70-16-169-118:~ markmascaro$ sudo python setup.py install

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'setup.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Just in case it worked I ran PieLRF, installed the Library and the error on trying to save the LRF file was...

env: python: No such file or directory

Note that Python 2.5.1 installed in Applications/MacPython 2.5/

I had forgotten the headaches of debugging. Its been years.

Mark
Looks like you just needed to go to the pielrf-2.1.2 directory (assuming that's your latest version). Sooooo....

cd <pielrf-2.1.2 directory>
sudo python setup.py install

That should do it.

-Pie