Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
my rooted nook lost wifi connection, need suggestion!

The issue is caused by changing the /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf with a invalid configuration, then reboot nook and lost the wifi connect to my nook.

The symptom is when I tried to add a new wifi connection, my nook report a error and told me "unable to save the hotspot"

because currently the only way to adb nook is via wifi, I have no access to recovery this file now!

I tried below methods but no help.

I tried to reset to factory setting, no use
I tried to downgrade to unrooted 1.0.0 and unrooted 1.20, no help as well.
I also tried force reset nook (at the home screen, press the nook button and the power button at the same time), still no help.

Any comments is great appreciate!
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctos View Post
The issue is caused by changing the /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf with a invalid configuration, then reboot nook and lost the wifi connect to my nook.

The symptom is when I tried to add a new wifi connection, my nook report a error and told me "unable to save the hotspot"

because currently the only way to adb nook is via wifi, I have no access to recovery this file now!

I also tried force reset nook (at the home screen, press the nook button and the power button at the same time), still no help.

When, how and why did you change "/system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf"?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
When, how and why did you change "/system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf"?

I changed the file to support WIFI EAP-PEAP authentication. I used adb shell to change the file at that time.

my another question, when, why and how you got so many ebook readers?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I changed the file to support WIFI EAP-PEAP authentication. I used adb shell to change the file at that time.

my another question, when, why and how you got so many ebook readers?
Probably you should PM the nookdevs developers/enthusiasts, for example the member "klay".
I have been convinced, nook would be unbrickable and you always easily could go back to 1.0 and then to the original 1.2 again...

Concerning my readers: I'd like to have the "ideal" reader for every situation.
So I guess, I have to purchase iPad, Skiff and Que next...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #5
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Well, as with any OS if you mess up certain files you can render it unbootable. It's very hard to really brick the nook tho, because you can physically access the System SD card.

@ctos -- follow the nookdevs guide on the nook disassembly and get to the system SD card (will void warranty tho). Alternative way would be to create a custom "update" image to remove the wpa_supplicant.conf file.

PS. Oh, you might also try this way of multiple resets, it might delete the wpa_supplicant.conf file as well.

Last edited by stangri; 02-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
ctos
Enthusiast

status update:

I got help from nookdevs' developer JesusFreke. With a wifi_fix update file and refresh the nook, my wifi recovered.

thanks JesusFreke!
Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Remeber: everytime before you change a file with ADB, note their permissions and restore this values after editing.

Bye,
Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

In case anyone else runs into this: http://nookdevs.com/Tips_and_tricks#...ng_WiFi_config
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #9
mgfneo
mgfneo began at the beginning.

Quote:

hey ctos, i also tried to modify my wpa_supplicant.conf to support EPA-PEAP security and I want to install a Equifax Secure Certificate Authority certificate on my nook but after i modified and pushed the file into my nook it just returns unchanged after I rebooted it.. have you encountered a similar problem? it's killing me since all wifi hot spots in my university requires EPA-PEAP :S
mgfneo is offline   Reply With Quote