Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Universal solar charger - Today only [Wed 1-27-10]

Have you ever wished that your e-Reader battery lasted longer for camping trips, because you can't just plug it in for a recharge? Or maybe you get mobile phone service, but have no way to recharge your phone.

One possible solution for the adventurous might be a three way charging kit offered today only for $9.99 plus s&h at DailySteals. You'll have to make sure it's compatible - current, voltage, connectors and so forth. But if you get that figured out, it includes not only an A/C and USB charging solution, but also a solar charging panel with an 1800mAh Lith-ion battery. Apparently, that means you can charge that spare battery with light, and use it like a supplemental battery even when it's dark.

This would seem to be a workable solution for long term reading away from wall outlets. If you figure out that it will work (or won't work) for your favorite e-book reader, let us know. If you get one, share the results with us - even at a higher regular price, this may be a solution that will interest others.
Quote:
Product Specifications:
High solar energy conversion efficiency.
5.5V/80 Ma Solar Energy Board.
1350Mah High capacity polymer battery.
Output voltage 5.0-6.0V.
Output Current 350-850Ma.
Charging time: approximately 60 minutes, with results varying by device.
10-15 hours to charge the battery using solar power.
5 hours to charge by computer or AC adapter.

Product Compatibility:
You can use this item to charge many mobile phones, Digital cameras, PDAs, MP3 players, or MP4 players whenever and wherever you go.
USB Mini-fits Motorola Razr, Blackberry and palm
Nokia fits mostly Nokia Phones
Samsung fits many Samsung phones
New Nokia
LG Chocolate.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Thats just great... I guess I can leave my phone outside to charge.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Nice thing about the onboard battery is you can leave it on a window sill to charge up, then when you want to charge your device put it someplace convenient.

It is cheap enough that I am getting one to play with. Won't try it on my Sony until I test it on something less expensive... Can I borrow your phone?

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Does anyone know where I would find the information to see if it would work on a Sony (505, specifically)? I have no idea what voltage,etc. she might need. (And I'm having one of those days where my brain doesn't seem to be fully functioning...)
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
Erina
Erina began at the beginning.

Device: None
Another alternative is a battery called the Fuel Cell by Callipod ( www.callipod.com) which I use for my phone. It can recharge the phone 4 times and is easy to cart around. Its about the size of a deck of cards and is essential if I am travelling.
Erina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erina View Post
Another alternative is a battery called the Fuel Cell by Callipod ( www.callipod.com) which I use for my phone. It can recharge the phone 4 times and is easy to cart around. Its about the size of a deck of cards and is essential if I am travelling.
I believe you mean www.callpod.com. WWW.callipod.com does not exist.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
A PRS-500 recharger is 5.2 V output at 2000 mA.
This thing may not produce enough current for a PRS-500.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Hi,

I recently purchased a Duracell Charger for USB devices from Tigerdirect(http://www.tigerdirect.com/) and it has worked great for my ebook reader (BeBook), Nokia cellphones, Sony Walkman Wireless MP3 player, and Wireless Headphones for my PC. Also you can use your device while it is charging, but of course it will take longer to charge.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
nonanon
Enthusiast
nonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmosnonanon has become one with the cosmos

Device: iPad, Nook Simple Touch
Similar to powermonkey

I've used a powermonkey solar charger and battery for a year or so now. It has a battery you can use separately, plug into the solar cell to charge and the cell itself unfold to twice the size of the one on the link. I'm not home to check but I think the powermonkey battery has more amp hours than this, too. The powermonkey is pricier but if you watch the deal-a-day sites you can get it for as low as $10 after rebate.

As for powering a reader, assuming you have a plug that will fit you may be able to trickle charge your device even if the power icon doesn't appear. I have some devices that work this way, no hint that it's charging since the input source is too low, but after a few hours it's fully charged again. You could look around for adapters as well since this seems to offer a fairly common pin connector. All that being said, it's just easier to carry an Energizer battery that is often on Woot. It's rated at 18,000 mAh or 18 amp hours which is huge. The device is skinnier but slightly wider than a paperback book and comes with a big selection of charging tips. I know it came with one that charges my Sony PRS-500.
nonanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I think you missed the part about the onboard battery. Solar charges the onboard battery over 10 hours, and then you dump it into your device when ready.

Also - if you get more than 100 ma out of a USB connection to your PC I would be surprised. That is a low current interface.

Second note - I really doubt if any of these readers will accept a 2000 ma charge current. I think 10 watts into the device would cook it.

None if this says whether or not this particular device is any good.

Robert
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
I think you missed the part about the onboard battery. Solar charges the onboard battery over 10 hours, and then you dump it into your device when ready.

Also - if you get more than 100 ma out of a USB connection to your PC I would be surprised. That is a low current interface.

Second note - I really doubt if any of these readers will accept a 2000 ma charge current. I think 10 watts into the device would cook it.

None if this says whether or not this particular device is any good.

Robert
Some ports will go as high as 500mA, but even then on Windows machines, it takes a driver to enable that higher current.

Good point about the charger ouputting 2000mA. The battery in the Sony Readers is likely less than 2000mAh. If it's equal, the charger, if putting out the full 2000mA, would be charging at a 1C rate...I don't think so! A fully depleted reader takes around 4hrs to charge, correct? If that's the case, and the reader has a 2000mAh LiIon cell, the 4 hour charge time would represent around a .25C charge rate, or 500mA.

The readers are known to have one LiIon cell, but does anyone know a definitve answer for how many mAh the cell is rated?

For $9, plus shipping, I went for it. Heck, for that kind of price, it's worth it to have for emergency backup. With solar recharging of the main pack, this thing is a no brainer on value.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
If you look at the stated specs in the quote in the first post, you'll see rated output at 5.0v to 5.5v Anything that can put out 5v or more (USB power output) can charge any USB powerable device (including most ebook readers).

2000 mAh = 2000 mini-amps per hour = battery's storage capacity.

Too bad I already have a battery pack that takes two AAs and outputs to mini-USB. I just wish it could somehow upconvert the 3v to 5v. Man at $10, it's very tempting.

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 01-27-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #13
rmm200
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

2000 mAh = 2000 mini-amps per hour = battery's storage capacity.
Any rating - on any charger - is how much current that particular charger is capable of providing - and is a rate, not a capacity.

It is unrelated to the size battery it is destined for.

Robert
Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #14
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Just a warning -- I bought a similar item for a trip to Peru last year and it wasn't worth the $15 I paid for it. For anything mission critical I would depend on something that got power off batteries.

Luckily I was able to borrow a converter from a fellow traveler and charge my reader once while we were there so I'd have it for the trip home. It made it through the 3 weeks of travel but was needed a recharge for the 28 hours of travel home.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting. Thanks Bob.

I'm still not sure it would work with my Sony Readers....anyone know for sure?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote