Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #1
Adlopa
Adlopa began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T¦T2
Question PalmReader Pro - am I missing something..?

Having just grabbed the 15 day trial of PalmReader Pro, I'm a little mystified as to why anyone would want to pay for it. Some people may want the dictionary but where's the better font support?
You get one larger font to supplement the standard large one but where's the smaller font to fit more text on-screen? Yes, I can buy the Agfa font pack but it's a bit rich to pay even more money just to get something the app should do as standard.
Since Fonts4OS5 doesn't work properly with PRPro (screws up the pagination), this is a particular problem for me. So, am I missing something here..?
Adlopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
You are missing nothing, you are merely exercising your right not to spend money. What the "app should do as standard" clearly means something different to the PalmReader developers. I use this program all the time, its cost, if calculated by days of use, is to me insignificant. I bought the font packs and, since I do a lot of reading, it was worth it for me, but it doesn't have to be for you. Philippe Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlopa
Having just grabbed the 15 day trial of PalmReader Pro, I'm a little mystified as to why anyone would want to pay for it. Some people may want the dictionary but where's the better font support?
You get one larger font to supplement the standard large one but where's the smaller font to fit more text on-screen? Yes, I can buy the Agfa font pack but it's a bit rich to pay even more money just to get something the app should do as standard.
Since Fonts4OS5 doesn't work properly with PRPro (screws up the pagination), this is a particular problem for me. So, am I missing something here..?
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I registrered PR Pro for my ipaq, rather than the Clie, and have been pretty happy with it. With cleartype (tm) enabled, the font is clear and very readable, and I see no need for further fonts at all. It could still be vastly improved, however...

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 04:36 AM   #4
Adlopa
Adlopa began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T¦T2
My biggest beef is the font size -- the standard font is too large on a T2 for me and there's no way to shrink yet without spending yet more money. I'm just at a loss as to what the Pro version actually gives in terms of usefulness (Dictionary -- mneh; font smoothing -- whatever...). Since its the only option for reading Secure Palm Reader books, it's a pain.
Adlopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the same thing on my Clie, which really turned me off the palm version. I'm reasonably satisfied with the ppc version, however...

Though I agree, the included dictionary stinks, and is a waste of space.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:32 PM   #6
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Just in case anyone's interested, I made the previous post using the mobile site Alexander's working on. It's looking very neat, and is quite easy to use; I recommend anyone who can browse with their pda to try it out!

Craig.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

What in blazes are you talking about? There are plenty of fonts available, but you must PAY for them. If you choose not to, that does not make the program inferior, but simply more expensive, in which case you get something else. The included dictionary is, as plainly stated, a vest pocket dictionary. I have Webster's 11th installed and it remains the best dictionary I have found for the Palm. Nothing is perfect, however: to access this dictionary, you must open the Pro program, and that is a pain. Philippe Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
I found the same thing on my Clie, which really turned me off the palm version. I'm reasonably satisfied with the ppc version, however...

Though I agree, the included dictionary stinks, and is a waste of space.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:30 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Just as a side note... the Webster's 11th is also available for Mobipocket Reader, if that suits you better
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:24 PM   #9
radleyp
Evangelist

Thanks, Alexander, I knew that, but I don't want to put yet another reader on my Palm. I recall playing with Mobireader sometime ago, and not being overly impressed. Philippe Radley
Old 03-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #10
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
What in blazes are you talking about? There are plenty of fonts available, but you must PAY for them. If you choose not to, that does not make the program inferior, but simply more expensive, in which case you get something else. The included dictionary is, as plainly stated, a vest pocket dictionary. I have Webster's 11th installed and it remains the best dictionary I have found for the Palm. Nothing is perfect, however: to access this dictionary, you must open the Pro program, and that is a pain. Philippe Radley
Settle down, don't get your knickers in a twist

I was referring to the basic version of palm reader for palms. I never tried the pro version until I purchased my ipaq, which really doesn't require extra fonts as the fonts supplied with the device (or any other you want to grab off a windows machine for that matter) can be used easily. It's MUCH better than having to pay extra for fonts. That was one of the major reasons I went for the ppc version rather than palm.

And I think it's being kind, even calling it a "vest" dictionary . I'm not prepared to pay for a larger dictionary though, so that's my choice.

Craig.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:58 PM   #11
radleyp
Evangelist

Sorry, but I am confused. You wrote, "I found the same thing on my Clie, which really turned me off the palm version" in response to Adlopa's complaints about having to pay for extra fonts on the Pro version for the Palm. How could you, however, if, as you now state, you used only the standard version on your Clie? My response now looks pointless to me too, but then I assumed you were using Pro as Adlopa was.

"Vest Pocket" is the name given by the dictionary's creator, not PalmDigital.

BTW, I have never worn knickers. Cheers, Philippe Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett
Settle down, don't get your knickers in a twist

I was referring to the basic version of palm reader for palms. I never tried the pro version until I purchased my ipaq, which really doesn't require extra fonts as the fonts supplied with the device (or any other you want to grab off a windows machine for that matter) can be used easily. It's MUCH better than having to pay extra for fonts. That was one of the major reasons I went for the ppc version rather than palm.

And I think it's being kind, even calling it a "vest" dictionary . I'm not prepared to pay for a larger dictionary though, so that's my choice.

Craig.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #12
cbarnett
MR prodigal son

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my initial response...

Oh, and it all depends on what you define "knickers" as...
Old 03-05-2004, 02:45 AM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Calm down guys...

Btw, have you seen my post on the available trial of PalmReaderPro? Gives you a chance to test the reader without having to buy it first.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:11 PM   #14
St0rmD
St0rmD began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T2
Actually, PR Pro supports just about any FontHack fonts, so there's tons of freebies out there that you can install. even on OS5 devices that don't support FontHack. Try here for a bunch that work: http://www.rainerzenz.de/palm/alphafonts.html

I agree it would be better if Palm Reader had a utility like iSiloX does that would allow you to encode your own Windows fonts for use in Palm Reader, though.
St0rmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:32 PM   #15
radleyp
Evangelist

Interesting, I didn't know that. As I found out from attempts in other programs, I can't use the FontHack fonts because I use a cyrillic localization which overwrites them. When the fonts are particular to the application, as is the case with the PDM add-in fonts, I have no problems. Philippe Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by St0rmD
Actually, PR Pro supports just about any FontHack fonts, so there's tons of freebies out there that you can install. even on OS5 devices that don't support FontHack. Try here for a bunch that work: http://www.rainerzenz.de/palm/alphafonts.html

I agree it would be better if Palm Reader had a utility like iSiloX does that would allow you to encode your own Windows fonts for use in Palm Reader, though.