Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
Asimov's imitators

I see from looking at Wikipedia that a lot of Asimov's stuff has been extended by other authors. In my experience this has very rarely worked out and has sometimes produced terrible creations (the sequel of Day of the Triffids especially).

Anyway, is it worth reading any of the authorised sequels or are they just cash-ins?
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I see from looking at Wikipedia that a lot of Asimov's stuff has been extended by other authors. In my experience this has very rarely worked out and has sometimes produced terrible creations (the sequel of Day of the Triffids especially).

Anyway, is it worth reading any of the authorised sequels or are they just cash-ins?

There was a sequel to The Day of the Triffids? What an awful thing to happen, although not as bad as having the entire opening to your novel stolen by a terrible film director like Danny Boyle.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
There was a sequel to The Day of the Triffids? What an awful thing to happen, although not as bad as having the entire opening to your novel stolen by a terrible film director like Danny Boyle.
It was a terrible pulp horror set in New York and the triffids were beefed up into far more monstrous creatures. Badly written, cliched and, worst of all, disrespectful.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Orson Scott Card wrote a couple interesting stories in the Foundation universe that I would recommend.

But if you're talking about the several novels that "finish" the Foundation series, I've never read them, nor will I ever read them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
It was a terrible pulp horror set in New York and the triffids were beefed up into far more monstrous creatures. Badly written, cliched and, worst of all, disrespectful.
That sounds ghastly. John Wyndham was such an understated writer, a master at his craft and criminally underrated compared to others of that generation. The opening to Day of the Triffids is still one of the best in literature.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
corroonb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Orson Scott Card wrote a couple interesting stories in the Foundation universe that I would recommend.

But if you're talking about the several novels that "finish" the Foundation series, I've never read them, nor will I ever read them.
I was talking about the later but also other series like Isaac Asimov's Robots and Aliens; none of which are written by Asimov.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Simon Clark, a gifted horror writer, wrote a nice sequel to "The Day of the Triffids," called "The Night of the Triffids."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
corroonb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Simon Clark, a gifted horror writer, wrote a nice sequel to "The Day of the Triffids," called "The Night of the Triffids."

Don
I thought it was terrible. Nothing like the original at all.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I thought it was terrible. Nothing like the original at all.
We disagree, then, which is fine.

...although we certainly DO agree on the original!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
I would recommend Roger McBride Allens Caliban-Saga/Trilogy
I enjoyed reading it, and I think it even fits nicely into the whole Robots-Storyline. (In so far as that it doesn't really touch it, but doesn't read as if it's in a parallel universe either.)

OTOH, the "second Foundation Trilogy" I don't recommend. I only read the first two books but that was cruel enough. No doubt both authors are good at what they do, but neither tried to imitate Asimovs style - which is fine by itself, but if they contradict the original story by introducing things that can't have existed, it starts to get annoying.

(Note: I read the german translations of those books.)
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
For that matter, Asimov's own sequels to the trilogy, Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth, were inferior to the originals.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Betancourt's prequels to Zelazny's Amber Chronicles is pretty good.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Erm... None.
Quote:
The 'Second' Foundation trilogy doesn't finish the series so much as, er, not finish the series. It's a series of prequels, or rather mid-prequels; three books set between and around the two prequels already written by Asimov. Not convoluted at all, then.

They were written by Bear, Brin and Benford, who are all quite respected hard SF writers. They're not bad, but the three authors consciously chose to adopt their own tones rather than emulate Asimov's, so they don't quite 'fit' into the series' atmosphere. On the plus side, they do add quite a bit of texture and technology to the universe, particularly regarding life on the sprawling capital city/planet of Couresc- of Trantor. On the other hand, they feel a bit peripheral and unnecessary most of the time, as if they've been shoehorned in. I still found the three very entertaining, particularly the second, but I'm a sucker for anything that goes into a bit more detail about R. Daneel.

The third also manages to neatly propose an escape from the consequences of Foundation's Edge, which, I recall, quite impressed me when I read it. This was some years ago, I admit.
Reyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #14
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I completly agree with Reyben. The three books were of high quality, from authors who did not need to write in Asimov's universe to make a name for themselves. They're not musts in any way, but highly enjoyable to read, and the different styles in which they were written gives a feeling of honesty to the whole endeavour (writing in the universe of instead of trying to emulate). And the ending of the last of them is pretty good!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote