Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

View Poll Results: What features would you like to see in iSilo and/or iSiloX?
Grouping support of channels (with headers, different colors, maybe collapsable...) 18 30.00%
Screen inversion (white on black) support 12 20.00%
Smaller image zoom to fit pda screen support 11 18.33%
Wireless support for web channel updates 12 20.00%
Wap/I-mode/Wireless Section 3 5.00%
Multithreaded downloading support (to increase performance) 15 25.00%
Remote .ixl support (for instance with a php-based web interface) 8 13.33%
Synchronisation at HotSync 15 25.00%
Content Extraction (define only certain parts of a HTML page) via RegEx 24 40.00%
Movie (e.g avi) support 4 6.67%
Image Zoom/Shrink 13 21.67%
Integrated PDF to HTML convertor 37 61.67%
Wap/WML to HTML parser 8 13.33%
Skin support 10 16.67%
Landscape-mode (screen rotated by 90 degrees), especially useful for Hi-Res+ displays 27 45.00%
Backup-bit support to specify whether generated clips should be hotsynced or not 8 13.33%
New/Unread file indicator and/or file generation date column 18 30.00%
Double-tap support to automatically select and copy a word (useful for dictionary usage) 25 41.67%
Favicons support for display of channels in iSiloX 6 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #16
gadgetguru
Addict
gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.gadgetguru got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Tungsten T5
The new changeable fonts in the 4.0 beta is great. What I would like to see is some 'cleartype' font support on the Palm OS.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:52 PM   #17
jasondv
Enthusiast
jasondv began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten|T
How about the ability to add notes to a document? In my current work, I read a lot of reference materials, and when I want to make notes I have to use a work-around:
- Copy the text that I am referring to
- Paste it in another program that allows editing (I use Quickword)
- Write the note referring to the chosen text

If annotations become possible, then a "view annotations" mode would also be great.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:12 PM   #18
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I *LOVE* this idea!

Craig
Old 09-11-2003, 05:14 PM   #19
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
I have another suggestion. It would be nice to be able to move around the list of iSilo files by writing the first letter of the file name, as you can with many applications.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:12 PM   #20
NewKreation
NewKreation began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjmobile
oh - another wish - be able to launch the source url or file using the default application ( web browser, doc editor) from the iSiloX interface.
I agree, this is the feature I was looking for when I came to the discussion group...I guess I'll have to wait.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:01 AM   #21
bdjmobile
bdjmobile began at the beginning.

New wish: HTTPS

I'd really love to see HTTPS support - more sites are starting to force HTTPS as a security measure.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #22
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I'd like a thin scroll bar.
I'd like also to insist in the not read indicator, like bold font for the titles of new or updated documents.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:01 PM   #23
St0rmD
St0rmD began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T2
Here's one that's been bugging me lately. When the title bar is set to "Hide" in the 'Interface...' dialog, the menu is not callable by tapping the top-left corner of the screen. I like having the toolbar and titlebar (and scroll bar, for that matter) hidden in my default interface, so I don't have to fuddle with entering and leaving full-screen mode, and leave my buttons free for other mappings. I can call up the tool-bar by tapping the bottom right of the screen, how about calling up the menu by tapping the top left, please?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #24
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
I'd like a thin scroll bar.
I'd like also to insist in the not read indicator, like bold font for the titles of new or updated documents.
I second the thinner scroll bar request, especially for the PPC version, if possible.

Having been a long time palm user of iSilo, I've finally bitten the bullet and registered the PPC version as well, so I can retire my clie gracefully

A feature I'd really like to see is a thumbnail feature for images too large for the screen (similar to Plucker, I believe). You get the smaller image, which you can tap for a full size image. Please!!!

Craig.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:37 AM   #25
undone
undone began at the beginning.

WTF !!!!

have you all overlooked one of the most needed web abilities ever? We need a JAVA plugin!!! Java and javascript are all over the web, but us poor mobilites can not see or use it. i think this would be a huge advancement....
Old 09-19-2004, 07:46 PM   #26
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdjmobile
oh - another wish - be able to launch the source url or file using the default application ( web browser, doc editor) from the iSiloX interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKreation
I agree, this is the feature I was looking for when I came to the discussion group...I guess I'll have to wait.
It would be useful if the list of unresolved links that iSiloX generates could give you live links that would launch WebPro or whatever.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:07 PM   #27
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I'd like support for the full HTML4 specification for starters. Such subtle things as paragraph alignment, subscript/superscript, the FULL entity set, and support for non-English languages would be on my top list. iSilo still lacks quite a bit of standard HTML features, enough that using it for actual content on a daily basis, is depressing.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:11 PM   #28
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by undone
have you all overlooked one of the most needed web abilities ever? We need a JAVA plugin!!! Java and javascript are all over the web, but us poor mobilites can not see or use it. i think this would be a huge advancement....
Uhm, no.

Javascript (and Java) are not "parsed" as HTML is, they are "executed". This means you need some sort of "engine" on the device to handle that execution and interpretation. Having Javascript in an offline HTML page, or in an eBook adds ZERO value.

Can you give me one example of where Javascript in these scenarios actually enhances the quality of the work? In fact, I'd argue that most webpages using Javascript, are using it unnecessarily. Rollovers? Done in CSS. Client-side validation? Moot, since you have to validate server-side anyway (and that's irrelevant in an offline HTML/eBook reader anyway).

What other things does Javascript bring to webpages and eBooks that actually make them better than their "plain" HTML counterparts? I can't think of a single one at all on the Web in general, and even moreso on a handheld device, disconnected from the web.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:18 AM   #29
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Google team is one of the rare examples who uses little Javascript to enhance usability. See Gmail and Google Groups 2 Beta.

But I agree, in general I can live pretty well without Javascript too.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #30
BasilC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
I'd like support for the full HTML4 specification for starters. Such subtle things as paragraph alignment, subscript/superscript, the FULL entity set, and support for non-English languages would be on my top list. iSilo still lacks quite a bit of standard HTML features, enough that using it for actual content on a daily basis, is depressing.
I think this is just a little unreasonable, to put it mildly. After all, iSilo is already in a completely different league from any of its competitors. I don't find using iSilo depressing, but rather inspirational - the developer or developers seem to me to go out of their way to be continually improving the product. For the amount of work they must have put in, it seems a real bargain to me. Anyway, I thought that you it did now have support for different encodings, which I take to mean different foreign language alphabets.