Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #61
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I did find the setting in Moon +
Your (heading) font and rose rendered properly
Oh, thank you so much for checking! And that's certainly good news, and reassuring!

I still wish I knew what was wrong with my code (which I posted here a while ago) for those full-page images, though. I know I must have "something" wrong, but I've searched everywhere and I thought I'd done it all correctly (as per what people in these forums, mainly have said is the way to do it). :/

Thanks for that interim reassurance, though, re the font issue!
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #62
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
Pardon my stupidity, but I have no idea what that means! When I hear (or read) "OS/2", I presume you're referring to a Mac OS? I'm on PC.

I don't know what it is that I'm supposed to be checking here, or how to go about checking it (whatever it is).
As a former user: "that hurt"
Nope. OS/2 is a no longer made PC OS. Feel free to google it.
The point Toxaris made was that you need to check the mentioned compatibility attribute in the font file itself and modify it if needed.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #63
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Oh, thank you so much for checking! And that's certainly good news, and reassuring!

I still wish I knew what was wrong with my code (which I posted here a while ago) for those full-page images, though. I know I must have "something" wrong, but I've searched everywhere and I thought I'd done it all correctly (as per what people in these forums, mainly have said is the way to do it). :/

Thanks for that interim reassurance, though, re the font issue!
Try changing the size to 95% as 99 may be still making it cross the page threshold.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #64
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
As a former user: "that hurt"
Nope. OS/2 is a no longer made PC OS. Feel free to google it.
The point Toxaris made was that you need to check the mentioned compatibility attribute in the font file itself and modify it if needed.
Sorry! Didn't mean to offend! Honestly, I had no clue what was meant by "OS/2"! I'm a designer -- I can answer questions about that, but don't know the first thing, really, about the nuts'n'bolts of operating systems or hardware and stuff like that.

In any case, um, I guess I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to go looking for and/or checking. I just googled "OS/2 font compatibility", and then "check OS/2 font compatibility", but although that gives me a lot of really technical sites geared to type designers, somehow none of them seem to be what I'm looking for -- not to "check" a font if it's compatible, let alone convert my font(s) if they're not.

Ironically, I've been studying typography since I was a kid, and even type design as well (and even made a couple of fonts of my own), but this "OS/2 compatibility" thing is totally new to me -- never heard of it before.

Do you know of a website/link where I can do whatever it is that I'm supposed to do, i.e. check if my fonts are OS/2 compatible and, if not, convert them?

Thanks again!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #65
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
Try changing the size to 95% as 99 may be still making it cross the page threshold.
I just tried it, and still have the same problem -- in iBooks everything's fine in landscape, but in portrait I get an extra blank page after the full-page image (and viewing it in Marvin it's the opposite!).

Maybe I'm still doing something wrong? Here, for reference again, this is how I'm doing all my full-page images, each in their own separate file (and my margins/padding are set to 0)...

Code:
<body>
  <div class="svg_outer">
    <div class="svg_inner">
      <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="95%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 592 900" width="95%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image height="900" width="592" xlink:href="../Images/Frontispiece.jpg"></image>
      </svg>
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
...and this is from my CSS...

Code:
img {
	max-width:95%;
	max-height:95%;
}

.svg_outer {
display: block;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-left: 0;
margin-right: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-top: 0;
text-align: left;
}

.svg_inner {
display: block;
text-align: center;
}
As always, I'm deeply grateful for any suggestions!
Old 10-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't do SVG in iBooks. I opened an eBook in iBooks rcently that complained about the cover XML and it did use SVG to render the cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #67
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't do SVG in iBooks. I opened an eBook in iBooks rcently that complained about the cover XML and it did use SVG to render the cover.
Oh, really? Gee, virtually every post I've ever seen -- here, there, and everywhere -- seems to indicate that that's the way to go, that any other way is what is "problematic".

So now what do I do?
Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, really? Gee, virtually every post I've ever seen -- here, there, and everywhere -- seems to indicate that that's the way to go, that any other way is what is "problematic".

So now what do I do?
What you can do is don't do SVG for iBooks and SVG otherwise. iBooks is non-standard and doesn't always work well without work arounds/kludges. Then you have iBooks under iOS 5.1.1 (iPad 1), iOS 6.x (other end of life devices), iOS 7 and they are all different. So if you really want to test things, get an iPad 1, any device running iOS 6.x and one that runs iOS 7 and make sure your book works on ALL of them. Plus, if you code for iBooks under iOS 7 and find it doesn't work on previous iBooks, you cannot set an iOS/iBooks minimum version so someone with a previous version of iBooks would get a broken eBook. It's the hell that is Apple.

Just for reference, I have an iPad 1 and an iPhone 5s. This is not Apple bashing, but the reality of Apple.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #69
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
What you can do is don't do SVG for iBooks and SVG otherwise. iBooks is non-standard and doesn't always work well without work arounds/kludges.
Well, wouldn't that be the way to go, though? Is there a workaround that does, in fact, resolve the issue so that things display correctly in iBooks and elsewhere?

All I have is an iPad2 (and whatever countless "viewers" I can fill my shrinking PC's hard drive with), and can't afford to go out buying all kinds of tablets -- past, present and future, no less. I don't mind kludgy workarounds, as long as they work!

If you can explain to me how to do that -- or point me to a thread where it's explained -- I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you can explain to me how to do that -- or point me to a thread where it's explained -- I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
Hitch is the best on on MR (IMHO) to ask about iBooks as she does have to deal with it.

One thing I suggest is finding a copy of Reader Library (Sony) as it displays ePub as it would look on a 6" screen. If you cannot find it, let me know and I'll post it someplace for you to download.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the code used for displaying an image full screen without SVG.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #71
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Hitch is the best on on MR (IMHO) to ask about iBooks as she does have to deal with it.
I was thinking about this issue afterwards, and I'm a bit confused. Obviously a person can design an epub so that it will work in iBooks, but if a person has an iPad and sees an epub they want, and it says it's "for iBooks", won't they just naturally assume that it'll work in any other iPad ereader that they might choose?

And by the same token, what do you say with regard to the non-iBook version -- that "this ebook is for anything/everything except iBooks"?

I guess that's why I'm thinking, again, that surely a kludgy workaround would be better, to create a single epub that would work in any reader?

Quote:
One thing I suggest is finding a copy of Reader Library (Sony) as it displays ePub as it would look on a 6" screen. If you cannot find it, let me know and I'll post it someplace for you to download.
I presume you mean this?...

https://ebookstore.sony.com/download/

If so, I haven't downloaded it yet, but did you mean to get the PC version or the iPad version? I can get both, of course, but I don't know if you were referring specifically with one or the other in your recommending it.

Quote:
I'll have a look and see if I can find the code used for displaying an image full screen without SVG.
Thanks! I'm still interested, naturally, even though I do have to wonder about that kludgy workaround still.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #72
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I was thinking about this issue afterwards, and I'm a bit confused. Obviously a person can design an epub so that it will work in iBooks, but if a person has an iPad and sees an epub they want, and it says it's "for iBooks", won't they just naturally assume that it'll work in any other iPad ereader that they might choose?
I am not an apple person & not sure what you mean by "any other iPad ereader " but I naturally assume that apple store will lock the content ( with their DRM) so that it will not work on any non-apple device, and that you, the lowly author, have no say in their use of DRM.

but as to compatibility within the apple range.... maybe someone with good eyesight & a long lifespan needs to read thru all of the small print legalese at apple
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #73
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
In any case, um, I guess I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to go looking for and/or checking. I just googled "OS/2 font compatibility", and then "check OS/2 font compatibility", but although that gives me a lot of really technical sites geared to type designers, somehow none of them seem to be what I'm looking for -- not to "check" a font if it's compatible, let alone convert my font(s) if they're not.
One way to check it is via FontForge. Load up the font and look at the info. On one tab it mentions the OS/2 version compatibility. You can also change it there and regenerate the fonts.

I have no idea what it is used for and why there are issues with it if the version is higher. It is just one of those quirks.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #74
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
I just tried it, and still have the same problem

Code:
<body>
  <div class="svg_outer">
    <div class="svg_inner">
      <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="95%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 592 900" width="95%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image height="900" width="592" xlink:href="../Images/Frontispiece.jpg"></image>
      </svg>
    </div>
  </div>
</body>
The only other thing I could suggest along this line of thinking is to reduce the height and width of the svg container by (say) 10, so it would be

Code:
      <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="95%"  preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 582 890"  width="95%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
        <image height="890" width="582" xlink:href="../Images/Frontispiece.jpg"></image>
      </svg>
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #75
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I am not an apple person & not sure what you mean by "any other iPad ereader " but I naturally assume that apple store will lock the content ( with their DRM) so that it will not work on any non-apple device, and that you, the lowly author, have no say in their use of DRM.
Oh, by "any other iPad ereader" I meant, for example, Marvin (which at the moment is the only other ebook app I have on my iPad apart from iBooks).

I don't know how DRM works. I assumed that "one person" could own the ebook, but that you wouldn't be limited to how you used it -- like, in which reader you chose to view it in.

You got me curious about that, though! I currently only have one book with DRM -- I don't know how to get it from iBooks into another app, but I naturally have a backup of it on my PC so I emailed that to the iPad, then tried to open it in Marvin. It shows up in the library, but if I try to open it, then all I get is blank pages.

So indeed, as you say, if it's sold to work in iBooks (and with DRM), then it'll only work in iBooks.