Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Importing into Calibre from a Kindle

My sister is shortly going into hospital for a month or two, and I am giving her a Kindle, pre-loaded with several hundred PD books. She hasn't had an e-book reader before.

I love Calibre and its wonderful functionality, and I recommend it to all my friends (and indeed to chance-met total strangers .... but let's not go there!) I will be suggesting to her partner that he sets up Calibre for her on her home computer.

Is there an easy way to ship-in the books on the Kindle to her own copy of Calibre, so she has back-up copies? Is it one of the uses of Calibre's "add books" tab? If not, is there another way that works for someone who's not too tech-savvy?

I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply connect the kindle, click the device button in calibre's toolbar, it will list all the books on the kindle. Then select all the books, right click and choose add to library. Noet that if the books on the kindle have drm they will not be useable on anything other than the originala kindle, unless you choose to strip the drm.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
1. if PD = public domain then there should be no dRM to worry about
2. if the books came from amazon then a backup copy already exists on amazon servers, you can re-download whenever and as often as you like; so using calibre just as a back up system seems pointless
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Kovid: I'll do just that. Calibre really is the cat's pajamas.

The books are all PD and don't have DRM.

Cybmole: I have managed to live with a Kindle for three years now without buying a single book from Amazon, or even downloading a free one. But if I had bought books from Amazon they would have been registered to my Amazon account, and I imagine my sister will wish to register the Kindle to her own Amazon account (assuming she has one - I'm not in a position to ask, as the Kindle is supposed to be a surprise).

Thanks for the suggestions.

[edit - I meant without downloading a free book from Amazon]

Last edited by Araucaria; 07-27-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

once the surprise is over & the KIndle is registered , she can "buy" for zero cost, any of the public domain books direct from amazon to the kindle, without having to go via a PC. Just a suggestion but she may find that simpler: she will have to have an amazon account anyway in order to register the kindle & thus unlock all the features.
free books collections are here;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_li...rd_i=341677031
Old 07-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
@ Araucaria,
respect. I don't see much peoples with a kindle these days who are able to live without Amazon.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

as I recall, some kindle (offline) feature just don't work if the device is not registered to an account. that many vary across different Kindle models though
Old 07-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
"Collections" are not operative on an unregistered Kindle.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
"Collections" are not operative on an unregistered Kindle.
That may be so, but the "Kindle Collections" plug-in on Calibre certainly created the collections I wanted on this unregistered Kindle (collections by authors, if more than three books by the same author, and by series).

I don't ever try to create collections using the Kindle itself, as it takes too long. But I can see that the "Create Collection" and "Add to Collection" tabs are greyed out on the Kindle.

What other features are disabled? It would be helpful to be able to explain the benefits of registering.

Last edited by Araucaria; 07-27-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Araucaria
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
once the surprise is over & the KIndle is registered , she can "buy" for zero cost, any of the public domain books direct from amazon to the kindle, without having to go via a PC. Just a suggestion but she may find that simpler: she will have to have an amazon account anyway in order to register the kindle & thus unlock all the features.
free books collections are here;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_li...rd_i=341677031
Cybmole: she'd only be able to get the limited number of PD books that Amazon offers. If she wanted ones from Gutenberg or from the excellent library on this site, she'd need a PC, and I have found that Calibre makes getting books from non-Amazon sources much, much easier.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
What other features are disabled? It would be helpful to be able to explain the benefits of registering.
that is probably already answered within the Kindle forum, but as it costs nothing to register , why not just do it ?
Old 09-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
@ Araucaria,
respect. I don't see much peoples with a kindle these days who are able to live without Amazon.
i managed it for a while - then decided I could live without having to convert between epub & mobi to fix every annoying typo so I sold the Kindle , bought a Sony & have lived happily ever after - so far .

The last straw for me was when amazon added that last page to each book that says " hey - you've read an entire book - now go to facebook/twitter & brag about it" that the Kindle had to go