Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #14761
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
So not quite half way home then.

Finished it yesterday. Great book, I couldn't sleep until I finished it.

Now I am playing with my new computer, and then read "Ethan Frome"
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #14762
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I've read the first book in the Dresden files. I did enjoy it, but not enough for me to run out and get the rest. I do have the second book, however, and I will give it a try at some point.

I am reading "The Perks of Being a Wallflower". I think that I will finish it tonight. I'm really enjoying it. Next up is Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm by Phillip Pullman. I've really missed reading fiction. I do read at night, as I always have, but I've been so busy with my thesis lately that I haven't had time to read during the day. I have spend most of today reading and it really has refreshed my batteries.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #14763
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Wow! That was a great read! Probably the best book I've read this year.

I don't know what my next read will be. Either The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or the Wool series by Hugh Howey. I've read the first book in the series which I really enjoyed so I decided to get the Omnibus Edition.
I have read both and The Name of the Wind is good, but it's very much overrated. The Wool Omnibus is not overrated and is that good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #14764
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is it true that the first Wool is very short ? If yes, what gives ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I don't know what my next read will be. Either The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or the Wool series by Hugh Howey. I've read the first book in the series which I really enjoyed so I decided to get the Omnibus Edition.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #14765
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yep. A short story. Calibre's Count Pages plugin reports 48 pages. The whole Wool series start with a *little* story that Hugh published on Amazon and forgot about. That is until it started climbing into Amazon's top seller lists and the reviews started rolling in. Most of the rest are novella sized.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #14766
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Yes, the first is very short, but the first five books together are a good length novel (Wool Omnibus) and at a novel price. If you haven't read any of them and want to get a feel, the first story "Wool" is available free most places, or you can get the sample of the omnibus which at least at Amazon has the entire first story.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #14767
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I finished Octavia Butler's novel Dawn this afternoon. The first book in the omnibus Lilith's Brood (Xenogenesis Book 1).

Oh my... This was one of the most thought provoking novels I've read in a long while. Difficult to read at times. An unsatisfying ending. But, I'm looking forward to the next and the one following. This is my first Butler novel, but if the trilogy continues as good as this one, I'll be reading a lot more.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #14768
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
She is/was wonderful!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #14769
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I just started Mr. Penumbro's 24-Hour Bookstore, and it's a really really fun book. It's also a fast read - I'm already 3/4 of the way through it.
I thought the ending was great. Is it the same as the free audio version as below?

EP215: Mr. Penumbra’s Twenty-Four-Hour Book Store
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #14770
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I finished Octavia Butler's novel Dawn this afternoon. The first book in the omnibus Lilith's Brood (Xenogenesis Book 1).

Oh my... This was one of the most thought provoking novels I've read in a long while. Difficult to read at times. An unsatisfying ending. But, I'm looking forward to the next and the one following. This is my first Butler novel, but if the trilogy continues as good as this one, I'll be reading a lot more.
Just remembered this story she wrote called "Speech Sounds." It's wonderful and available on line here: http://www.e-reading.org.ua/chapter....astelands.html
Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #14771
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane
On Deck: Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Just finished Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #14772
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished two quite different books:

Swimming Home by Deborah Levy - a Man Booker Prize nominee - a fascinating, intricately plotted literary novel - that begs to be re-read to understand what the heck just happened. Employing multiple viewpoints/descriptions of the same events - the reader is taken for quite a ride, as two marriages are challenged on a holiday from hell in the countryside. Levy writes sparely but beautifully.

A Corpse in the Koryo by James Church - an Inspector O mystery - set in North Korea - with so many layers of claustrophobic paranoia, insane bureaucratic regulations, and human misery - an intriguing peek into the land cut off from Western view across the DMZ - and the challenges faced by a civilian detective solving crimes committed by the military - while your rooms are being searched daily.

Both books highly recommended.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #14773
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
You guys convinced me. I'm reading 11/22/63. 22% into it. Intriguing!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #14774
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Just finished two quite different books:

Swimming Home by Deborah Levy - a Man Booker Prize nominee - a fascinating, intricately plotted literary novel - that begs to be re-read to understand what the heck just happened. Employing multiple viewpoints/descriptions of the same events - the reader is taken for quite a ride, as two marriages are challenged on a holiday from hell in the countryside. Levy writes sparely but beautifully.

Both books highly recommended.
Thanks for the review on that PB, it's been on my TBR List since it came out.

I think I may just go ahead and get myself a Christmas present.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #14775
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks for the review on that PB, it's been on my TBR List since it came out.

I think I may just go ahead and get myself a Christmas present.
Merry Christmas! And enjoy! It's a small gem!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote