Returned it. Switched to a different "glowing" reader. 3 2.65%
Buggy but hoping for bug fixes. Keeping it. 17 15.04%
Love it. Would never go back to a non "glowing" models. 90 79.65%
Returned it and went back to my non "glowing" reader. 3 2.65%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
If you purchased the Glo..

Just trying to figure out how many returned the Glo after they purchased it.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
I liked the Touch very much and the Glo is everything the Touch is and then some, i.e. a better Touch. Got it for the better screen and faster processor, mostly, but I find out I use the light more and more. Could not go back!
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
My avatar answers this poll quite well
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I chose the third option as it seems to be the most apt but the second one would be good too as I would hope bugs will be ironed out in future updates.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Since the orginal Kindle this will be the seventh e-reader I have owned and my previous reader was a Nook Glow.

The Kobo is by far the best e-reader I have owned and I have nothing negative to say about the Nook Glow but the lighting distribution on the Kobo simply outshines the Nook (pun intended). And, the ability to fine tune fonts (boldness and sharpness) is not only unique to Kobo it is a really nice feature to have in an e-reader.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I got a buggy one (setup crashes and a funny red glow emanating from the top corner). I took it back and exchanged it (and did the setup using the store's wifi so I could be sure it worked before I took it home) and have been very happy with my new one.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Mhtsos
Enthusiast
Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mhtsos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Iconia A210,Sony PRS-T1(sold),Cybook Orizon,Kobo Glo,Kindle PW2
4 weeks owner here.
Absolutely no problems so far and I'm loving it.
I kept my Sony PRS-T1 as a backup device in case I didn't like the Glo but now I am going to sell it.
Mhtsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
shutramp
shutramp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
The Glo is my first e-reader and I had it for a week or so by now. I love it for its touch, size, the crisp e-ink display, and of course the glo light feature, which all makes it a very comfortable device to read on. I have been using it every day until late at night and the glo rocks!
BUT there are some issues I am not very pleased with, so I went for option two (Buggy...). Had I had a non-glo device before, it would have been option three I guess...

So I don't know if this is the right place to lament about my discontents, and I hope I won't annoy anyone by it. Furthermore it is not an issue whether "to glo or not to glo"...BUT:

First of all my Kobo freezes on a regular basis approx. once a day for no obvious reason, as far as i can tell. I have added some Chinese fonts to be able to read Chinese ebooks though, mostly epub, some pdf. But I don't see how this could possibly cause the glo to freeze, since it freezes while reading in other in languages too. Hopefully this will go away somehow, maybe with another firmware update. Or are your glos working just fine and I have a lemon here?

Secondly the UI appears in some regard not to be straight forward enough to me, it's too many clicks to get around or not very convenient it some parts. I have not found a way to customize the menus and also there is no option the set quick-links on the home-screen, to launch the web-browser for example. I would also like my lib to display a plain list in a small font w/o the books thumbnails... Why is there no dot "." on the keyboard on the fist layer where all the letters are?...and so on...

Also, as far as customization is concerned, while in reading mode you have a lot of customization options, like font size, line spacing etc., which is really great, but there is no option to invert the screen (b/w) for night reading, since I find the lowest glo light option still way to bright for total darkness. In dim light its perfect, though blueish, but I hardly ever use the light when there is so another source of light, for the b/w contrast it superb. The blueish look however disappears in total darkness, if by means of the eyes perception by a complementary contrast (blueish-yellowish) or whatever, it seems to be yellow in total darkness, at least to me, which is nice.

And then at last I am a little disappointed with the dictionaries. I found some contributions to improve the English dicts on the forum here (thank you for that!). But as I mentioned before I read Chinese stuff on my Kobo, and since I am no native Chinese speaker, I do need to look up words.
There seems not to be any way of installing a software like Duokan for the kindle or to "root" the device like the Nook and run android apps form the android market (in my case it would be something like Pleco Dict or the like having all the fancy features like handwriting, definition within pop-up definition and so forth right there in place). And as for the sideloaded "own dictionaries" some people are working on, there is still a long way to go one may find, i.e for chinese. Unfortunately I have no programming skills at all which leaves me with option two "Buggy, but hoping for bug fixes. Keeping it." for it's still a wonderful device to read on!
shutramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
No problems here so far. This piece rocks!
I'm in Kobo heaven now: my Glo for reading fun and the Touch for tweaking the os
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I love my Glo! I haven't had any technical issues with it. What really surprises me, though, is that I find myself keeping the light on all the time, not just at night. I still feel as though I'm cheating on my Touch, which is a great eReader, but it would take quite an adjustment to go back to a non-lighted model now.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
To continue the trend of Glo-ing endorsements - I'm very happy, as it's exactly what I expected. I was happy with my Touch too, except it needed a light. The Glo is a (slightly smaller and faster) Touch with a light.

Just about the only thing I don't like is a silly firmware thing - no option to tell it to keep the light on permanently, so if you allow the firmware to put the Glo to sleep after the timeout period, it will come back on with the light off.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
fbrII - thank you for highlighting the fine tuning - I hadn't picked this up, and now my very good Glo is even better!
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
I chose the second option because it does have some bugs and I do hope they will be fixed.

However, I do love it and it is the best e-reader I've had and I would not go back to a non-Glow screen.

If I could have chosen 2 options I would have.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I love the Glo and voted as such. There are two bugs that I would really like to see fixed however. The first is the widows/orphan thing that can leave blank lines at the bottom of the screen. I work around this by converting the book in Calibre with widows and orphans set to zero, but would rather not have to do so. The second bug is the sleepcover wake - when using the sleepcover the Glo goes to sleep again if you don't touch the screen within 30 seconds or so. Other than these two issues, it has performed flawlessly.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
I liked the Touch very much and the Glo is everything the Touch is and then some, i.e. a better Touch. Got it for the better screen and faster processor, mostly, but I find out I use the light more and more. Could not go back!
What do you mean the Glo is everything the Touch is and then some?

It's only a higher resolution (and, therefore, better looking fonts), faster processor (which leads to much faster page-turns), and integrated lighting when you need it. Borderline irrelevant for an e-reader, no? :P

Love my Glo, use it every night. Worth the upgrade for the better-detailed fonts and faster page-turns alone, even if you don't need the front-lighting, if you ask me.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote