Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Setting up your Vox after a Factory Reset

1- email setup ( credit to rmorrow)

Better GMail Settings
On the off chance that this isn't widely known, I'm going to suggest better settings to use with the stock email client when using GMail. The default 'auto' install sets you up with an IMAP connection toGoogle. You can get better functionality (push notification, folders, contact and calendar sync) by setting GMail up as an exchange account. There's two ways to do this.

First, via the settings menu. Go to Settings -> Accounts & sync and select Add account. Select Corporate. Enter your GMail username (user@gmail.com) and your password. Select 'Send email from this account by default' and then press Next. On the server settings screen, leave everything as is, except the Server value. Change this to 'm.google.com'. Click Next. On the Account options page,set things up as you like. I leave them as default. Click Next. On the last page, give this account a name and press Done.

It's easier if you haven't entered any account in the email client, or if you just delete it before doing this. Launch the email client (the icon in the app folder named 'Email'). Enter your GMail username and password, and then click on 'Manual setup'. For the next screen, type of account, select 'Exchange'. On the next screen, again, all is good here, except change the server name to 'm.google.com'. Click Next, and on the next screen check 'Send email from this account by default'. Click Next, give theaccount a name and then click Done.

One of the neat things about setting the account up this way is that the stock calendar app can now see your google calendar.

If the server doesn't want to connect: (credit to cdesja5)
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=147951

Simply put, if you ever get the issue in Accounts & Sync for a gMail account where it prompts you for the Domain\Username, Password, and Server, here's what you enter:
Domain\Username: \(user)@gmail.com
Password: (password)
Server: m.google.com

2- jefftheworld's Best App Package! (credit to jefftheworld)
I put together a small package of recommended apps. In the thread here I'll explain why I included each one. Just unzip the archive and put it anywhere on your Vox, then use a file manager or appinstaller to install whichever ones you want to.

There are two packages I've put together:

Regular Apps - [download]
Root Apps - [download]

3- wifi never sleep: (credit to laurapony)

What you want to do is to set your Wifi to never go to sleep. This has solved the sleep-of-death problem for almost everyone (though it does give you a higher battery drain when the Vox is sleeping - but if you plan to turn it off and on it shouldn't be a problem).

You can do this by going into your Wifi Settings: Settings --> Wireless & networks --> Wi-Fi Settings --> Once here, hit
the settings button (the four lines) again on the bottom menu -->
Advanced --> Wi-Fi Sleep Policy - Set your Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to Never and your SOD is cured.

4- setup old downloaded apps again: (credit to cdesja5)

You can re-install your apps using saved your copies of apk files in Dropbox or apk files in the Download folder of the sdcard (using Astro) which is why Jefftheworld's best app package must be installed first so that Dropbox and/or Astro can be used. Apps are re-installed one by one...

Using Dropbox:
- tap on file name
- window will open with name of app asking if you want to install
- tap install at bottom of window

Using Astro and download folder:
- navigate to /mnt/sdcard
- tap on download folder
- tap on apk file for app to install
- application file popup opens
- tap Open App Manager
- tap Install

Hope this is useful for anyone that had to re-customize their Vox after a factory reset!
Chantal

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-02-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added missing hyperlinks
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I don't think you have to set your Vox to never sleep to solve the SOD problem. I don't get it anymore - the most recent update solved it! I wouldn't necessarily have people do this from the get-go, just in case sleep might work again after their reset...mine is set to 10 minute intervals and works perfectly...so far!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Haven't had a chance to test yet but titanium backup and a rooted vox should make coming back from a factory reset much easier than the above (that is I have backups...just haven't had to do a factory reset since making them).
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The never wake from sleep is a part of the Android menu for cell phones...what it does is tell the device when to switch to mobile data. Since this is a tablet and not a phone, no mobile data connection is available therefore it must always use wifi to connect. Setting to never sleep can't hurt and from numerous comments on the forum since the last update, SOD is not fixed so it may help. The sleep that you refer to is not for the wifi, it is for the device itself, to save power when not in use and is not set up in the same menu...
Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Haven't had a chance to test yet but titanium backup and a rooted vox should make coming back from a factory reset much easier than the above (that is I have backups...just haven't had to do a factory reset since making them).
That was what I used for my first try. Unfortunately the free app doesn't have all the features required to do a full backup of everything... It could be that I didn't understand correctly how to do it. Let me know if you do a factory reset and figure out how to get everything back on using Titanium...
The other issue is that not everyone wants to root and get Titanium on their device.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-02-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
That was what I used for my first try. Unfortunately the free app doesn't have all the features required to do a full backup of everything... It could be that I didn't understand correctly how to do it. Let me know if you do a factory reset and figure out how to get everything back on using Titanium...
The other issue is that not everyone wants to root and get Titanium on their device.
I ended up buying the full version so I don't even remember what the differences are. I know I wanted to freeze the kobo update so it would stop telling me about an update I didn't want. Also, I wanted the dropbox integration for backups. But the free version should have done all the basic stuff for you. It is a complicated program though.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote