Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
maddog101
maddog101 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Simple Formatting question

Hello Guys,

Hope your doing well. I had a quick question. I was going to use Vellum to format my ebook. It seems to be a pretty nice software, but there are a few things that I am not sure about how to get a fix around.

I dont think Vellum offers line height adjustment for ebook, only the print edition. If thats the case the only way that I could see myself beating around this was by getting the MOBI and EPUB file and then converting it to a word Doc...make the changes (line height to 1.5) and then I could convert it back to MOBI and EPUB file.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ty!
maddog101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My thoughts are fairly simple: Don't do it!

Leave font selection and line spacing etc. up to the reader (person and device). Most devices allow the users to adjust text for themselves and it can be really annoying to have an ebook that forces its own choices on you.

Disclaimer: the above is based on the assumption that this is narrative text. For some non-fiction situations there may be reason to force adjustments.

As for doing it whether it's a good idea or not: I'm not familiar with Vellum, but you could use Sigil (or, I assume, the Calibre ebook editor) to adjust the relevant CSS styles. Perhaps Vellum offers direct editing of the styles too?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just email the creator of Vellum. He won't bite. He's a nice guy and always extremely helpful.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote