Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please make it that if you look at Amazon or Kobo for availability that you also look at both? I do look at Amazon for those with a Kindle. So it would be nice if those with a Kindle would reciprocate with Kobo. Thanks.

P.S. An Overdrive link would not go amiss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Overdrive has no meaning to me in the UK.
I personally don't find OverDrive links very helpful, as each person still has to check his own libraries to find out if they've got it and if it's available, but I'm happy enough to include one as applicable.

As for linking to Kindle v. Kobo, it's every man for himself. It's harder for some than for others to check various sites and link to them and in the end, we have to vet the links for ourselves. In other words, more links are nice, but they're not a dealbreaker. However, I think they can be a good selling tool.

I'm more likely to buy from Google Play these days, anyway. Now that Kobo doesn't have deals and Google frequently does, most of my recent ePub purchases have been from Google.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Overdrive has no meaning to me in the UK.
But Overdrive does exist in some UK libraries and it might be meaningful to others participating. Besides, if you see how I did the Overdrive link as a search and not a specific book's link, it works better for all who do use Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I personally don't find OverDrive links very helpful, as each person still has to check his own libraries to find out if they've got it and if it's available, but I'm happy enough to include one as applicable.
If you create an account at https://www.overdrive.com and you list the libraries you belong to, then you go to the listing for a book available in your country, you'll get a list if it is available at your library. This way, I don't have to keep checking each library.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you create an account at https://www.overdrive.com and you list the libraries you belong to, then you go to the listing for a book available in your country, you'll get a list if it is available at your library. This way, I don't have to keep checking each library.
Thanks, Jon, that's helpful. OverDrive makes these things needlessly obscure, IMHO.
Old 02-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks, Jon, that's helpful. OverDrive makes these things needlessly obscure, IMHO.
Also, if you want to list Overdrive for a book, search for it with the title and author. When the correct results appear, post the URL for the search. That way you get results for all the versions available and it's just a matter of checking which one is for your country and which media you want. A lot more simple then posting a link for a specific eBook's entry. Searches don't expire as they as using the key words you searched for.
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #51
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Also, if you want to list Overdrive for a book, search for it with the title and author. When the correct results appear, post the URL for the search. That way you get results for all the versions available and it's just a matter of checking which one is for your country and which media you want. A lot more simple then posting a link for a specific eBook's entry. Searches don't expire as they as using the key words you searched for.
Thank you Jon, I will try, see if I can figure it out how to check Overdrive directly and not via my libraries
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:23 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Thank you Jon, I will try, see if I can figure it out how to check Overdrive directly and not via my libraries
Your welcome. It's not hard to do. Once you are logged in, to Overdrive, click your name in the upper right corner and select Libraries. Then you can begin adding all the libraries you have access to.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:01 AM   #53
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I have been putting together a bit of a wrap-up for the MRBC and thought I would share:

Total books discussed: 113
Total authors: 103
Most read author: E.M. Forster with 3

Number of countries with selections: 15
Highest percentage of books from the United Kingdom with 47 (42%)
Second highest from the USA with 44 (39%)

Average publication year: 1947
Median publication year: 1953
Most selected year: 2013 with 4
Oldest book selected: Candide published in 1759
Newest books selected: Hidden Figures and Bucky F&%@ing Dent published in 2016
Most popular decades: 2010s (13) and 1990s (12)

Percent by women: 22%
Percent by person of color: 6%
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scatter.png
Views:	397
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	162164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decades.png
Views:	386
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	162165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.png
Views:	385
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	162166  

Last edited by Dazrin; 02-10-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:10 AM   #54
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
That's very interesting, Dazrin. Thanks. My immediate response to the decade summary is: what was so good about the 1880s, and what was so bad about the 1960s? (It is a remarkably even spread otherwise.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

That is fun; thanks, Dazrin!

My takeaway is that the books overall were more modern than sometimes believed, but that could be in part because of a skew in the last year or two. The last couple of choices were on the dated side.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:37 PM   #56
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 1960s must either not have great books to choose from or maybe we just try to avoid those memories. The literary group has a similar drop for the 1960's and their spike in the 1800s is the 1870s. They also have a more broad list of countries (22, 36% UK, 19% USA) and dates (oldest ~1320).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lit decades.png
Views:	367
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	162175  
Old 02-10-2018, 01:15 PM   #57
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The 1960s must either not have great books to choose from or maybe we just try to avoid those memories. The literary group has a similar drop for the 1960's and their spike in the 1800s is the 1870s. They also have a more broad list of countries (22, 36% UK, 19% USA) and dates (oldest ~1320).
The Literary Club has recurring region and time period months. We check off time periods and map areas from our list. For example, February is a Region month, and the area selected was Mongolia, China and Korea. We also have done Contemporary category months to force us not to neglect newer books.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294441
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is it possible to do a graph of when then books take place? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #59
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Is it possible to do a graph of when then books take place? Thanks.
Getting publication year is easy. Trying to figure out when a particular book is set is much more work and (for me) doesn't mean as much. In general, books written in the 1800s tend to have a similar feel whether they are set in the 2000s, 1800s, or 1400s. It goes back to the style of writing more than the specific setting.

I can graph them quickly if you can provide them though.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #60
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The 1960s must either not have great books to choose from or maybe we just try to avoid those memories.
If you can remember the 60's then you weren't really there

Thanks for all the analysis work, very interesting.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote