Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Calibre being down (or the Wireless thingy not being started) should trigger an obvious message saying so (in the center white popup region, IIRC).

It might not stay on screen for very long, but it should be visible.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #17
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Calibre being down (or the Wireless thingy not being started) should trigger an obvious message saying so (in the center white popup region, IIRC).

It might not stay on screen for very long, but it should be visible.
In my case, Calibre is working and I can access it using Calibre Companion on my phone.

KU just seems to start the ''Running Kobo-Uncaged'' process then immediately begins the closing process.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@church mouse: Does it ever actually enter the "Connected" screen (i.e., black background)?

What's the *exact* final error message (specifically, the error codes at the end). (Because it can't be BS:61, as that one's supposed to be negative ;p)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-20-2020 at 02:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #19
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It might also help to see what logs were written to syslog, if any. To get access to this log, on your kobo, search for 'devmodeon' (it will appear to do nothing). To check this worked, go to menu > settings > Device Information. There should be 'Developer options' at the bottom.

Plug in your Kobo to your computer, open the '.kobo' directory, and there should be one or more files with syslog in the name. Open the latest file. You can paste the log here, or search for any lines that contain 'uncaged' or 'kobo-uncaged'.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #20
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@church mouse: Does it ever actually enter the "Connected" screen (i.e., black background)?

What's the *exact* final error message (specifically, the error codes at the end). (Because it can't be BS:61, as that one's supposed to be negative ;p)
It never connects to Calibre - it never has time. Looking at the run-ku.sh, it seems to get as far as KU_BIN to start /bin/kobo-uncaged before immediately (and I mean immediately) beginning the leaving process.

Apologies, I see the message has a - sign before 61 i.e BS: -61.

Does that help at all?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ignore the BS error, it's a symptom of the fact that Kobo-UNCaGED exited in an unexpected state. I probably need to rework the shell script a little to make this a bit clearer.

I'm hoping there sill be something useful in the syslog.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #22
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
It might also help to see what logs were written to syslog, if any. To get access to this log, on your kobo, search for 'devmodeon' (it will appear to do nothing). To check this worked, go to menu > settings > Device Information. There should be 'Developer options' at the bottom.

Plug in your Kobo to your computer, open the '.kobo' directory, and there should be one or more files with syslog in the name. Open the latest file. You can paste the log here, or search for any lines that contain 'uncaged' or 'kobo-uncaged'.
Does this extract of the log help?

19:37:00 UNCaGED: USBMS mode entered . . .
Feb 20 19:37:00 UNCaGED: Running Kobo-UNCaGED
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Started Kobo-UNCaGED
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Reading options
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Creating KU object
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Opening NickelDB
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Getting Kobo Info
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Getting Device Info
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Reading Metadata
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Reading metadata.calibre
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Gathering metadata
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Book not in cache: file:///mnt/onboard/.kobo/guide/userguide.pdf
Feb 20 19:37:01 KoboUNCaGED[7584]: 2020/02/20 19:37:01 Book not in cache: file:///mnt/onboard/legacygetkepub2417book_librarya divided spy - charles cumming_2417.kepub.epub
Feb 20 19:37:01 UNCaGED: Leaving USBMS . . .
Feb 20 19:37:01 UNCaGED: Disabling WiFi
Feb 20 19:37:01 wpa_supplicant[7476]: ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
Feb 20 19:37:01 wpa_supplicant[7476]: eth0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=f4:f2:6d:9f:72:cb reason=3 locally_generated=1
Feb 20 19:37:01 wpa_supplicant[7476]: ioctl[SIOCSIWAP]: Operation not permitted
Feb 20 19:37:01 wpa_supplicant[7476]: eth0: CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING
Feb 20 19:37:02 UNCaGED: WiFi disabled (0) . . .
Feb 20 19:37:02 UNCaGED: Unmounting onboard
Feb 20 19:37:03 UNCaGED: Onboard unmounted (0) . . .
Feb 20 19:37:03 UNCaGED: Unmounting SD card
Feb 20 19:37:03 UNCaGED: SD card unmounted (0) . . .
Feb 20 19:37:03 UNCaGED: Waiting for content processing
Old 02-20-2020, 03:13 PM   #23
sherman
Guru

Oh dear. I was hoping for an exit error in there, and I didn't find one. Which makes me suspect a Panic occurred.

Are you able to modify the run-ku.sh script to redirect stderr to a file? Unfortunately, that's where Go outputs it's Panic messages. eg:
$KU_BIN -onboardmount="${MNT_ONBOARD_NEW}" 2> error.log
Old 02-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #24
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Oh dear. I was hoping for an exit error in there, and I didn't find one. Which makes me suspect a Panic occurred.

Are you able to modify the run-ku.sh script to redirect stderr to a file? Unfortunately, that's where Go outputs it's Panic messages. eg:
$KU_BIN -onboardmount="${MNT_ONBOARD_NEW}" 2> error.log
Getting above my pay scale here. Are you saying you simply want me to amend the run-ku.sh by replacing the current $KU_BIN etc with the new line? If so, yes.

If you need me to do more than that, I can give it a go with some Noddy instructions from you.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:40 PM   #25
sherman
Guru

Yep, just edit line 79 from

Code:
$KU_BIN -onboardmount="${MNT_ONBOARD_NEW}"
to

Code:
$KU_BIN -onboardmount="${MNT_ONBOARD_NEW}" 2> "${MNT_ONBOARD_NEW}/.adds/kobo-uncaged/error.log"
Then run again. Hopefully, there will then be an 'error.log' file in the kobo-uncaged directory afterwards.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #26
church mouse
Evangelist

@sherman

Error log attached
Attached Files
File Type: txt error_log.txt (2.0 KB, 306 views)
Old 02-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #27
sherman
Guru

Thanks.

Yep, it's a panic alright. It also did it in the area I was expecting it to, which is... nice.

I've had this horrible suspicion I've forgotten to deal with DRM'd books, and/or malformed books. The underlying epub library I'm using seems a bit prone to panics
Old 02-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #28
church mouse
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks.

Yep, it's a panic alright. It also did it in the area I was expecting it to, which is... nice.

I've had this horrible suspicion I've forgotten to deal with DRM'd books, and/or malformed books. The underlying epub library I'm using seems a bit prone to panics
OK.

I don't usually have any drm books on the Kobo, but occasionally, when away from home, I am tempted to buy and download immediately (there is also the issue of Kobo sometimes going into an unwanted sync mode).

I leave you to scratch your head.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:24 PM   #29
sherman
Guru

Thanks for helping me track this down. I don't like unexplained crashes!
Old 02-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
church mouse
Evangelist

@sherman

One additional thing before I go: I have just removed all books from my Clara, rebooted, then added two non-drm books from my Calibre Server using the Kobo browser (no issues). However, trying to use KU and Calibre wireless causes the same panic and error as before.

I don't know if that is as you would suspect.