Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #16
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can see the reading percent, yes.

It's best to convert your books to azw3 and no, you don't need to have the asin in the metadata. You can see the covers without it. That is, if you sideload via USB, not e-mail the books to Amazon Cloud.

Sorry, I don't use Goodreads, so no idea about that.

You can customize the font sizes with the FONT_RAMP hack. It's fairly simple and doesn't require jailbreaking. As to the battery, it will last for several months with the Kindle asleep. Yes, literally.
Thanks a lot!
perisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #17
perisiana
Connoisseur
perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.perisiana shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
One other possible choice would be the Tolino Epos 2 — hardware is the same as the Kobo Forma, but the platform is more open. Since the Tolinos have Adobe DRM built-in, you can buy from any bookstore that will let you download the ePub directly (a few don't). The Tolino is also supposed to work with MLOL for borrowing books directly. Whether the screen would be any better than the Forma, I can't say. I'm guessing both devices are made int he same factory. Also, I don't think it works as well with Calibre collections and the interface is definitely more "sparse" than the Kobo. Though, to me, "sparse" equals clean and simple.
I saw it, and the software Tolino intrigues me since is based on Android and you can hack it if you want, but Epos 2 is not selled in Italy (so as to not compete with Kobo perhaps), it can be imported from Germany but in that case obviously in the event of an issue there is no guarantee (and it is probable that Epos 2 and Forma have the same problem).
It also costs € 50 more.

Last edited by perisiana; 12-09-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by perisiana View Post
I saw it, and the software Tolino intrigues me since is based on Android and you can hack it if you want, but Epos 2 is not selled in Italy (so as to not compete with Kobo perhaps), it can be imported from Germany but in that case obviously in the event of an issue there is no guarantee (and it is probable that Epos 2 and Forma have the same problem).
It also costs € 50 more.
They advertise the Epos 2 on Amazon.it, but it appears to be extremely expensive.

https://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

And you're right, it's probably the same screen anyhow.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:18 AM   #19
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
I don't have a Kobo Forma so I can't directly compare, but I have an Oasis3 and a recently obtained Kobo Aura H2O-2. I have been alternating between the two recently. I don't strip the DRM from borrowed books (Kindle Unlimited) so they are directly downloaded to the Oasis along with sideloaded purchased books , but I have been reading a few sideloaded purchased books on the H2O-2 just to get used to it. I have only sideloaded books to the H2O-2; the Oasis I have done both.

For my use, flip a coin, they both provide a very nice reading experience. The Kobo has a couple of software features that are nice but it also has some disadvantages. My Oasis3, which I pre-ordered, came from the initial batch and I can't see any screen defects. The lighting is even and I have good control over the color. The Kobo screen is ok but the color setting is more granular and I can't get it exactly the way I want it. It doesn't really bother me, just like the different software on the Kindle doesn't bother me.

I can't speak to other people's Oasis3 experiences but mine has been perfectly fine. Every now and then the Kobo goes unresponsive or starts turning pages on its own but maybe that's just low humidity or static electricity caused by winter heating. I have only used it inside the house, not away from home. Restarting it has "fixed" it every time and it is more of a nuisance than a problem. However, so far I have not seen that in the Oasis3.

I don't manage books on either device; I use Calibre and sideload my choices to whichever I want to use. When you put a book in Calibre it knows what format to send to either the Kindle or Kobo. Caliber is such a great library management tool that I'm not likely to bother trying to organize everything on a reader.

My suggestion is give the Oasis a try and see if you like it. I have been very happy with mine.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:20 AM   #20
pagepack
Zealot
pagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookpagepack has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Aura One
After breaking my Kobo Aura one, I decided to buy an Oasis 3 for a change. Unfortunately I found the text ghosting, even with page refresh every page turn on, poor. I could actually read words in the blank area after turning a page. Obviously sent back. Not sure if I was unlucky, but I'm reluctant to buy another one.

Looking at the Kobo 7"/8" offerings they seem to have their own lighting quality issues. I'm now ebook reader less.
pagepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
After breaking my Kobo Aura one, I decided to buy an Oasis 3 for a change. Unfortunately I found the text ghosting, even with page refresh every page turn on, poor. I could actually read words in the blank area after turning a page. Obviously sent back. Not sure if I was unlucky, but I'm reluctant to buy another one.

Looking at the Kobo 7"/8" offerings they seem to have their own lighting quality issues. I'm now ebook reader less.
No ghosting on my Oasis 3.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #22
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Here in Italy we have a strange, twisted system called MLOL, who would like to be like overdrive but it's so complicated that I prefer to go to the library and borrow physical books rather than use it.
So, unless Overdrive becomes supported in Italy two months after I buy a kindle (possible with my luck lol) it's not a problem.

But, in reality, to borrow a book with MLOL is not so twisted: it is like buying a book with ADE DRM, it is the same procedure.

I am sure that Overdrive is simpler, but I employ much more time in choosing the book I want than the time I employ in downloading it, open it with ADE and put it in my Kobo (but it is not so fast after, when I close ADE and I disconnect my Kobo from Windows).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #23
perisiana
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

But, in reality, to borrow a book with MLOL is not so twisted: it is like buying a book with ADE DRM, it is the same procedure.

I am sure that Overdrive is simpler, but I employ much more time in choosing the book I want than the time I employ in downloading it, open it with ADE and put it in my Kobo (but it is not so fast after, when I close ADE and I disconnect my Kobo from Windows).
Idk, i have tried it a couple of times about 3 years ago and my problem was above all that many of the books I wanted to read were not available or had been borrowed.
Maybe now things have improved?
Old 12-11-2019, 04:54 AM   #24
perisiana
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post

For the Oasis I have not heard of major issues, maybe you have been unlucky...
Old 12-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #25
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Idk, i have tried it a couple of times about 3 years ago and my problem was above all that many of the books I wanted to read were not available or had been borrowed.
OK this is a different issue: it depends on the book You find, the best sellers of the moment of course will be more difficult to find available. For non-fiction book the selection is limited. Anyway it is the only system we have in Italy: so it is better than nothing.
I reached MLOL in 2018 so I don't know how it was 3 Years ago, but in the meantime it will be improved at least a little.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #26
perisiana
Connoisseur

Omg I have bought it, 32gb graphite.
It will arrive next Thursday.
Fingers crossed
Old 12-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #27
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Well, that doesn't depend on MLOL, it would be exactly the same with Overdrive. It's a library, you're going to have to wait if you want to borrow a book if it's not available. US users don't have it any better (in fact, their waiting lists are probably way longer than ours).
Anyway, I've been using MLOL for years and it's very straightforward. I don't use their app though, I just download the book through ADE and sideload it to my Kobo. I've also suggested plenty of books that were then bought by my library, so I can't exactly complain.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #28
perisiana
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Well, that doesn't depend on MLOL, it would be exactly the same with Overdrive. It's a library, you're going to have to wait if you want to borrow a book if it's not available. US users don't have it any better (in fact, their waiting lists are probably way longer than ours).
Anyway, I've been using MLOL for years and it's very straightforward. I don't use their app though, I just download the book through ADE and sideload it to my Kobo. I've also suggested plenty of books that were then bought by my library, so I can't exactly complain.
After all those feedback I need to try it again
Old 02-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #29
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Does Oasis 3 use PWM for frontlight like Kobo Forma? Does Libra also flicker?
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by astmario View Post
Does Oasis 3 use PWM for frontlight like Kobo Forma? Does Libra also flicker?
More important question: Can you actually notice any effects of the PWM when using the Kobo Forma?

In any case, the Libra H2O does not use PWM. I have no idea about the Oasis 3.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote