Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: With ComfortLight turned on and low light setting, do you notice colored blotches?
Yes, green blotches from bottom center 20 15.15%
Yes, green blotches from bottom right 22 16.67%
Yes, green blotches from bottom left 18 13.64%
Yes, different location 10 7.58%
No 80 60.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #61
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Has the comfortlight improved at all... I tried 3 from Chapters, all had this issue, then I tried 2 from Best Buy, still had this issue, and this was 4 months ago or so.. Looks like nothing has changed!
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #62
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Just got an H2O v2, the frontlight isn't totally even, but the colouring is. Consistently orange across the whole screen.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #63
BestBester
BestBester began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Unacceptable

"Designed with the help of our most passionate customers, Kobo Aura ONE was crafted to deliver the absolute best reading experience".

My second replacement unit has the same comfortlight problems.

I would like to remember to people who say the comfortlight problem it's not as annoying that we are talking about a device which costs 230 USD.

This is unacceptable.

I think this new screen technology is less sensitive than the older one.

I'm going to sell Kobo Aura One and I'll use my Kobo Aura HD.

Last edited by BestBester; 10-18-2017 at 04:51 PM.
BestBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #64
zot2007
zot2007 began at the beginning.

Device: KA1; Oasis; Voyage; PW1; KK3G
I got my device today and am disappointed. I'll be returning it.

Last edited by zot2007; 10-20-2017 at 06:11 PM.
zot2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:43 PM   #65
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zot2007 View Post
I got my device today and am disappointed. I'll be returning it.
Holey moley, that does look bad.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #66
Elurch
Elurch began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bought my first KA1 in february. Same Problem.
But already after the fifth replacement device everything was fine.
Since the end of May I am now proud owner of a really very good reader.
So, don't despair, everything will be fine... (after a wile)
Elurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #67
konrad white
Enthusiast
konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.konrad white knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS 950, Onyx M92, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
Today I received a new KA1 and I haven't problem with light issue.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...3505fac4f5.jpg
konrad white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #68
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
bright green screen

I've had my 3rd One since mid-September, and no problems (just a slight greenish tinge middle bottom when the comfort slider was far to the right), but yesterday when I incremented it a little past the middle, the whole screen turned very bright green. Quite strange, but it returned to normal as soon as I moved the slider back a little.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #69
claralmx
claralmx began at the beginning.

Device: Kob Aura One
The first one I got from a retailer in Germany (where I live) was entirely green:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Pj...ew?usp=sharing

I just received a replacement that has a green tint on the right at low brightness (1%-10%) and about 70% natural light:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BwQ...ew?usp=sharing

As brightness goes up, the light becomes more even, almost vanishes at 35% brightness:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YBg...ew?usp=sharing

I prefer to read with very dim lighting at night so I'm not sure whether I should return it and risk getting a similar error or to just keep the one I have.
The other alternative is the Tolino Epos with the 7.8" screen, but I viewed it in the store and had more of a green yellow light than a warm orange yellow. As I understand it, Rakuten - that owns Kobo - bought over Tolino. I suppose the warm light technology is shared.

UPDATE:
Returned and ordered one directly from KOBO. Received one with a blue tinge on the bottom right under said settings.-.-

Last edited by claralmx; 01-13-2018 at 05:29 AM.
claralmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #70
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
Back in Sept. when I first got my KA1, I had a good sized green blob bottom left. Decided to keep it anyway. Recently I realized it was gone. I don't know how or when it happened, but my screen is now perfect. Weird.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #71
gaurav_singh_md
gaurav_singh_md began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kobo Aura One
No problems with mine. Got it a few days back (Jan 2018).
gaurav_singh_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 PM   #72
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
I tried 4 units and they all had the problem, some more than others. What's strange is that some people have no problem, as we can see here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by konrad white View Post
Today I received a new KA1 and I haven't problem with light issue.

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images...3505fac4f5.jpg
That's impressive!
So it's not the tech, but many individual units that would be "defective"? Sounds like Kobo is trying to sell units on which the lighting is far from perfect to cut down costs?...
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #73
kvaruni
kvaruni began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Signed up to chime in on this issue. I bought a Kobo Aura One, unaware of the lighting issue, yet fully wanting to use it to read at night with ComfortLight on. The first KA1 I got had uneven lighting at the bottom going from green to red to green to red:

This one was very unpleasant to read. The top of the screen was fine, and that only made it worse. Near the bottom, it felt like reading on cobbles.

Back it went, and the second one was worse and better at the same time, going from a large blot of green to a large blot of read:

Not nice to look at, but it was better in that it was less distracting. This one went back as well though.

Third time's the charm, and my current KA1 looks like this:

Exactly as promised on the product page for the Kobo Aura One. This one really is nice to read. So the good KA1's are out there, and I guess it just comes down to returning the bads ones until you stumble on a good one ...
kvaruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #74
Pulpwood
Make my Day
Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, KA1 LE
Have a KA1 ordered from kobo.com and awaiting delivery. I have to ask this question. Are folks honestly going as dark as the images posted for reading? On the H2O that I have been reading for 3 years, I do not go near that low and much of the reading takes place after retiring for the night.

For the record, things have been very good with the H2O. I do recall a lot of bad rap at this site concerning the H2O when I joined here. Maybe this is just the venting site of disgruntled users?

I will cast a vote after receiving and testing the KA1. If anything is a miss, I will also add a mini review to this thread.
Pulpwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpwood View Post
Maybe this is just the venting site of disgruntled users?
I don't own an Aura One, so I'm not impacted by the issue.

But maybe you should wait until you've received your device and all is good before talking smack about other users complaining about the issue?

Through the thread there have been several images posted by different users at different lighting levels.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote