Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookreader1 View Post
I managed to do this on a Kindle Voyage if that helps, the procedure is here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...12#post3574612
Close, but no cigar. *
You can reach the "complete setup later" choice before selecting a Wifi access point and entering your credentials for the Wifi a.p.

It has to be that way, since not everyone has a Wifi a.p. and/or has it turned on when they first power-on the Kindle.

= = = =

(*) "close" only counts in horse-shoes and nuclear weapons.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I guess I don't understand why you would not WANT to register your Kindle. What is the advantage? It sounds like all downside to me.
some people don't like amazon tracking reading habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Close, but no cigar. *
You can reach the "complete setup later" choice before selecting a Wifi access point and entering your credentials for the Wifi a.p.

It has to be that way, since not everyone has a Wifi a.p. and/or has it turned on when they first power-on the Kindle.

= = = =

(*) "close" only counts in horse-shoes and nuclear weapons.

Make sense, didn't realize that.

For closure, user coplate was kind enough to actually explain how to do it in the other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
On the wifi setup screen, you can also hit the [x] in the corner. this will give you a setup later button as well.
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I didn't see him suggesting that you use the "fake registration" trick.
When you find the thread, start at the most recent end of it, there was an additional line added to the file.
Then you should be able to use collections on your Kindle.

Also, by not registering, you have not agreed to their EULA (registration is Amazon's click-wrap on the EULA).
Old 08-30-2017, 10:43 PM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Can't they tell that from the books you buy? I mean, if you buy a Kindle, I assume you do so with the intention of buying most of your books from Amazon. They are going to know what you get from them.

Doesn't not registering a specific device, just limit the tracking for that specific device?

I don't know, with Siri, Google Now (or whatever it's called this week), Cortana, Alexa, and now Bixby; it seems to me, we lost the war on privacy a long time ago. To me it seems like we are merely negotiating for the best deal we can get on the terms of surrender.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-30-2017 at 10:50 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 PM   #20
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Can't they tell that from the books you buy? I mean, if you buy a Kindle, I assume you do so with the intention of buying most of your books from Amazon. They are going to know what you get from them.

Doesn't not registering a specific device, just limit the tracking for that specific device?

I don't know, with Siri, Google Now (or whatever it's called this week), Cortana, Alexa, and now Bixby; it seems to me, we lost the war on privacy a long time ago. To me it seems like we are merely negotiating for the best deal we can get on the terms of surrender.
If I read right, they only track if you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited so they know how much to pay the authors.
They do not track bought books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #21
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If I read right, they only track if you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited so they know how much to pay the authors.
Mmm, maybe. The cynic in me says don't bet the farm on that, and the retired database administrator in me says, they have that information, they may, or may not, choose to use it. (Then refer to my comment as a cynic!)

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 08-31-2017 at 07:00 AM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I guess I don't understand why you would not WANT to register your Kindle. What is the advantage? It sounds like all downside to me.
If you want to use collections, you have to register your Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want to use collections, you have to register your Kindle.
Only approximately correct.
To use collections, the Kindle must have a registration file on it.

It is the owner's choice to either let Amazon's system put it there or to put it there themselves.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:41 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you buy any books from Amazon? If so, it's no different. Once registered, all you have to do is keep WiFi off. Do you have anything to hide?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:04 AM   #25
bookreader1
Enthusiast
bookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheesebookreader1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But I didn't see him suggesting that you use the "fake registration" trick.
When you find the thread, start at the most recent end of it, there was an additional line added to the file.
Then you should be able to use collections on your Kindle.

Also, by not registering, you have not agreed to their EULA (registration is Amazon's click-wrap on the EULA).
I think this comment was directed at me? I searched for 'fake registration' just out of curiosity, and that led me to the 'KUAL Firewall with BBB filter' you mentioned, which does indeed sound interesting, thank you

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=205925

Quote:

Yes, of course, if you buy books from Amazon. For books purchased elsewhere I don't see why they should have to know. In this case, limiting Amazon's tracking is a form of that negotiation you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I would not assume that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you buy any books from Amazon? If so, it's no different. Once registered, all you have to do is keep WiFi off. Do you have anything to hide?
Its not the same to me. In the old days, if I bought a physical book from Barnes & Noble, I would not have expected that meant the B&N organization would come to my house and photograph my entire bookshelf, and also share my bookshelf with any authorities who happen to ask them.

I'm not a fan of the 'nothing to hide' argument. Instead,

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....ract_id=998565

and

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=1827982
bookreader1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #26
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you only sideload books the tracking is a non issue.
I don't care if Jeff knows what I read. I would be more worried about giving my aunt a heart attack if she saw my kindle.

*Don't ever loan a sex education book to a friend with kids and a vengeful ex. The cops might confiscate the book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Its not the same to me. In the old days, if I bought a physical book from Barnes & Noble, I would not have expected that meant the B&N organization would come to my house and photograph my entire bookshelf, and also share my bookshelf with any authorities who happen to ask them.
So if you don't think Amazon would share your list of books you've bought, then why would you think that Amazon would look on your Kindle at what's there and share it?