Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Epub not displaying correctly

I have an epub, which I purchased legitimately (it's not a dodgy pirated book) which is not displaying correctly in my PRS-350. Every few pages the book misses a couple of lines - that is, the first couple of lines which follow on from the end of the previous page are missing from the top of the next page. If I change the magnification I can then see the missing lines, but if I stay at that magnification, then after a few pages the same thing happens and I have to change magnification again to see the missing lines.

I have tested a number of other books, and it isn't happening with any other title that I can see. I've tried viewing the problem book on my Galaxy Tab, and it's not happening there.

Can anyone tell me what steps I can take to rectify this? It's really frustrating, as it is one of my favourite books to read in bed just before I go to sleep, and it is not at all relaxing to continually hit this problem.
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
I would:

1) Being angry

2) remove digital rights management from the book (with whatever method)

3) convert it with callibre into EPUB (even if it IS an epub) which sometimes removes such glitches

4) If (3) do not work, I would edit the file in callibre and remove the CSS file inside the book which is a brute but often working method

5) if (4) is too brute for you, you would have to alter the formatting of the epub (CSS) file with callibre (or annother software or method) and you will have to know what to do

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Don't run it through Calibre... It will create a mess.

It is probably a faulty widow or orphan setting in the CSS.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
You should in any case make BACKUP. So IF callibre will produce a mess - no problem.

A
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What do you mean with if. It will create a mess.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've converted many books with formatting issues in Calibre like Analogus said to do, and they've turned out just fine.

But in any case, always make your changes on a copy of the epub in question in case something does go wrong. You can't lose anything trying.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Complain to the publisher/supplier. Ask for a fixed file or a refund.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go visit Apprentice ALF and get the tools needed to strip the DRM. Once stripped, load the ePub into Sigil and have a look at the XML & CSS and see if you can find what might be the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote