Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #31
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
The display is the star of the show for me, and because there are reviews that suggest that the new display is either inferior or identical to the Kindle 3, I wouldn't take the plunge.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #32
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling1978 View Post
Yup, I'm upgrading from the K3 to the non-touch K4. While that may be perceived as "idiotic" by some, it makes perfect sense to me.

I love the new streamlined design, the lighter weight, and the smaller form factor. I had preordered the Touch, but I don't want to touch the screen every time I want to turn the page. Maybe I'll change my mind once I have the chance to go hands-on with one. The only time I have ever used the keyboard on my K3 was to enter my wifi password. Even though it has less storage, I can guarantee that I will never have the need to store over 1,000 books on my e-reader. I have also never used the audio features on my K3.

The bottom line is that I am losing features for which I never had a need, and gaining a better design and more convenient form factor. To each his own.
well at least you've spelt out your reasons for swapping. which i respect. i still think it's a stupid decision tho. that's my opinion, please don't take it personally.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #33
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by max99 View Post
i did. your remark doesn't add anything to the debate...saying 'each to their own' to everything would render most debates or discussion redundant. the thread was asking for opinions, which i'm providing.
From the 3rd post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra
I had a Kindle 3 (now Kindle keyboard) since October 2010. I found that I NEVER used the keyboard (except for the menu, 5-way controller and back butons) so it didn't make sense in my situation to have a keyboard on my eReader. As soon as I saw the new Kindle announced (non touch) I knew it was for me. Same screen size but smaller overall size due to lack of keyboard. The fact that the processor is faster is a bonus. Sure it has less internal memory but the extra 5GB of "personal documents" that Amazon gives you more than makes up for that in my opinion. If you're like myself and don't ever use the keyboard then it makes sense to go for the update.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
The display is the star of the show for me, and because there are reviews that suggest that the new display is either inferior or identical to the Kindle 3, I wouldn't take the plunge.
Well, there has been at least one review on mobileread that says the K4 screen is better than the K3 screen. So I would suggest the screen should not be a factor in the decision whether to switch.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #35
max99
Addict
max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.max99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Not sure if you were addressing me... but I would be happy to pay. Don't want a keyboard, storage space is enough for me and battery would still last approx a month so I can live with all that. I wouldn't be happy if it were the same price as the Kindle 3 but it's cheaper. And I don't already have a Kindle of any type so that makes a difference. I probably wouldn't buy a new K4 non touch if I already had a K3. But I still say whatever people want to do, go for it. It's your money.
you don't already own a kindle, so no, i wasn't addressing you. check the title of the thread again

if i also didn't own a kindle, i'd probably get the $79 unit myself.

Last edited by max99; 10-03-2011 at 11:12 AM.
max99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #36
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Well, there has been at least one review on mobileread that says the K4 screen is better than the K3 screen. So I would suggest the screen should not be a factor in the decision whether to switch.
Nah mate, there is absolutely no way that the screen would not be a factor for me in the decision to switch. I already own a Kindle 3, and personally I couldn't justify sinking more good money into a screen that has a good chance of being an inferior one, and I've seen enough reviews comparing the two to reach that decision. The ergonomics are a non-issue for me, and touchscreens are not for me.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #37
Cooling1978
Cooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolateCooling1978 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
Quote:
well at least you've spelt out your reasons for swapping. which i respect. i still think it's a stupid decision tho. that's my opinion, please don't take it personally.
Sorry, but there is obviously a lack of respect if you use the word "stupid" to describe the decision. "Stupid" and "idiotic" are words that should never be used to describe someone's decision to buy something as trivial as an e-reader. You would have much more credibility if you avoided the hyperbolic rhetoric.
Cooling1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling1978 View Post
Sorry, but there is obviously a lack of respect if you use the word "stupid" to describe the decision. "Stupid" and "idiotic" are words that should never be used to describe someone's decision to buy something as trivial as an e-reader. You would have much more credibility if you avoided the hyperbolic rhetoric.
Absolutely right. From our Posting Guidelines:

Quote:
Don’t say, “You’re an idiot,” or “anyone who thinks that is crazy.” Instead, say, “I disagree,” or better still, “I disagree because…”
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #39
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
If you didn't already have an ereader, I'd say go ahead and get the new $79 model. But, if you are on a K3 with the keyboard, I couldn't recommend "upgrading" to the newer, non-touch model.
imho, the $20 difference to get a kindle keyboard is certainly worth consideration, primarily because there's twice as much storage memory as the $79 kindle and that's certainly worth the $20 extra to some folks.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #40
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
imho, the $20 difference to get a kindle keyboard is certainly worth consideration, primarily because there's twice as much storage memory as the $79 kindle and that's certainly worth the $20 extra to some folks.
What do people typically use the extra storage for? I suppose audio books are one that take up way more space than eBooks, but then if you wanted audiobooks you wouldn't get the new Kindle at all since they're not supported. In my own situation I can't even imagine using up all the space on the new Kindle, I would literally have to have 1500 books on there at once. With the new personal documents feature allowing you to archive anything on Amazon's servers and being able to re-download it, I don't see storage as an issue.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
i did. your remark doesn't add anything to the debate...saying 'each to their own' to everything would render most debates or discussion redundant. the thread was asking for opinions, which i'm providing.
Well, several of us would, respectfully, disagree with your opinion about 'to each their own'.

Just because we don't happen to agree (or because we have the opinion of 'to each their own'), doesn't mean that what we say doesn't add to the discussion.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
People who have K3 (like me) might be contemplating whether to upgrade to K4 touch or not. After reading this review on tomshardware about K4 touch display quality I am going to stick to my K3.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ader,3040.html
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #43
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm thinking that some of things folks are calling a "down grade" aren't really a "down grade " at all. Let's take storage. How many books do you really need ( or even WANT) to have on your KIndle at any one time? The Amazon blurb claims it can hold 1400 books. Let's say they are off by a factor of two. Do you really need more than 700 books on your Kindle at any one time? Seriously?

Lets consider battery life. Let's say the K$4 can only get a week of battery life, so that every Saturday night you have to plug it in before you go to bed. Is that really a problem, when you have to plug in your Android smartphone every night and your laptop every few hours? Unless you plan on going on safari in the Congo or hiking in New Guinea, a week's battery life should be quite enough. (According to Amazon's specs, the K4 will do better than that).
For me, the big drawback would be the interface. The lack of the keyboard or the touch interface would make it a pain to navigate, IMO. There are a couple of users in the Kindle Forum who already have theirs and they saythey can navigate about fairly easily. I'm wondering if they would feel that way in a month's time. Still... $79.00. The cheap bastard who lives inside of me is sorely tempted!
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #44
strangeseraph
Connoisseur
strangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enoughstrangeseraph will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm keeping my Kindle 3. Some people can get along without the keyboard and audio, I cannot, and I feel really upset that Amazon decided to get rid of audio in the new Kindle. I use the keyboard for games, for notes, for search, ALL THE TIME. And no text-to-speech? What about visually impaired users? Amazon made a mistake there.

Maybe wait to see if the touch comes out in Canada...
strangeseraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Who says you have to replace your K3 the $79 is so cheap you can have both. I'm gonna have 3 Kindles if I don't sell my K3 and I don't really need that many either but it looks like selling a K3 is more hassle then it's worth.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote