Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea and will use it?
Not at all 11 73.33%
Maybe 1 6.67%
Most chances 0 0%
Definitely 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
Alon
Alon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lightbulb How I send myself a link from kindle...

Hi,

This is my first post here and I wanted to share with you all my way of "reading further".

What I've tried to solve:
I'm subscribed to various magazines using kindlefeeder (highly recommended) and many times I read something that raise my interest for further reading but in order to do it, I had to remember the topic/article name/etc till I will be near my laptop. Rest assure, I almost never remembered... :)

My solution:
Using 5 different simple tools that work automatically:
1. Kindle's ability to publish your highlights as twitts
2. Twitter
3. ifttt
4. my email account
5. my Amazon Kindle page

I'm sure everyone knows twitter, email and the kindle services/sites, so let's talk about ifttt.

ifttt is a free service that "puts the internet to work for you". Its acronym is "If This Then That" which in my case is
If [I twitt] Then [Send my twitt to my email].
You can read a bit more about ifttt here and here

So I opened a twitter account, connected it to my kindle account, set the ifttt to forward my twits to my email and that is it - every time I check my emails I can see my twitts with links to the subjects I wanted to further check about. Now all is left to do is to web search for the text I highlighted and choose the right result.

Tip 1:
Each task in ifttt is called a "recipe", you can use the recipe I created by clicking here

Tip 2:
As twitter is a public service, everyone can read your twitts. It happens to be that even though I mark what I find interest and use it in my own service, I already have 2 twitter followers... So mind not to publish anything you don't want to be public.
Edit:
According to DiapDealer (see below) it is POSSIBLE to block the public from seeing your Twitts.

I hope it makes sense to anyone and that I could improve a bit your Kindle experience.

Alon

Last edited by Alon; 10-13-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added information about public twitts
Alon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #2
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Having read the entire post I'd change my vote to "No". I would like to be able to send myself and my friends links to my highlights from Kindle (especially from periodicals) but I wouldn't want to share them publicly on Twitter to do that.

Email integration is long overdue and hopefully Amazon will implement it eventually.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #3
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
It's a possibility to do this, but it's far from being perfect and a little too complex for my taste.

I'd rather make a note on the Kindle itself and when I'm back at my notebook, connect it via USB-cable and read the note from the txt-file. It's much simpler and doesn't involve the entire internet community.
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's a bit too Rube Goldberg-ian for my taste. I just make a quick note on my Kindle and then look stuff up later when it's convenient.

But...

Quote:
and doesn't involve the entire internet community.
Twitter doesn't have to involve anyone but yourself if you don't want it to. You can set it up so that you have to approve each and every person who is permitted to see your tweets.

I only mention that because it fits this (vvv) mindset perfectly:
Quote:
I would like to be able to send myself and my friends links to my highlights from Kindle (especially from periodicals) but I wouldn't want to share them publicly on Twitter to do that.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Alon
Alon began at the beginning.

Thanks DiapDealer. I never used Twitter beforehand and haven't checked it all the way.

On the other hand, I don't really care if someone else sees the articles headers I'm marking for further reading... The idea here is not about marking texts inside books... though it will work the same.

About the overall saying that it is way too complicated, well, I think is the way I've described it (too lengthy?), not the way it is working. At the end of the day, the only action I need to do is mark an article header in the Kindle and hit the Alt+Enter and then "Share".

Setting all the above (which is actually only the ifttt if you already have twitter) is a onetime less than 5 min.

On the other hand, maybe I see the things differently

Thank you all for your feedbacks.
Alon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #6
Torwan
Zealot
Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Torwan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 (3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Twitter doesn't have to involve anyone but yourself if you don't want it to. You can set it up so that you have to approve each and every person who is permitted to see your tweets.
I didn't know that, I don't use twitter.

Still, it is rather excessive and confusing if you could just use the keyboard and type a note to yourself...
Torwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's a bit too Rube Goldberg-ian for my taste. I just make a quick note on my Kindle and then look stuff up later when it's convenient.
I was thinking the same thing. Just make a note, or if you want a more proactive reminder, email it to yourself via the browser. I'm not clear on what this process buys you.

Also, I do not use Twitter, but I believe the posts are called "tweets" not "twits." Although, I would accept the latter as Freudian slip.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I would like to see the Twitter/Facebook support on the Kindle more than and advertisement for Amazon. I would like to Tweet/update my Facebook status while reading a book.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
I just highlight in my Kindle and then retrieve the highlights on my computer from http://kindle.amazon.com - easy.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Nice. I have a KDX I tend to keep at work for reading articles I send to it via Instapaper. I now have a method for easily following up on things at home.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ifttt twitter email