Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Smudge
Smudge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon replacing my Kindle...new or refurbished?

I purchased my Kindle about 6 months ago. Today I noticed a small crack in the lower right corner of the casing. I called Amazon and they said that they would be sending me a replacement right away. Should I expect a new or refurb? If it will likely be a refurbished one, does anyone have any comments regarding the quality of their refurb units? Thanks
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've never heard all that much negative about refurb Kindles. Most people claim they work and act as brand new.

I really wouldn't worry much about it. Amazon is traditionally aggressive about maintaining their reputation of top customer service. If something goes wrong with the replacement, they'll make it right.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
In general, if your Kindle is more than a month old and needs to be replaced, Amazon will ship a refurb. I've never heard anything bad about the refurbs they ship; most people say they cannot tell the difference.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Smudge
Smudge began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I've never heard all that much negative about refurb Kindles. Most people claim they work and act as brand new.

I really wouldn't worry much about it. Amazon is traditionally aggressive about maintaining their reputation of top customer service. If something goes wrong with the replacement, they'll make it right.
Thanks.....do they always ship refurbs or is there a chance I will get a new one?
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool really!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
In general, if your Kindle is more than a month old and needs to be replaced, Amazon will ship a refurb. I've never heard anything bad about the refurbs they ship; most people say they cannot tell the difference.
really, my kindle 2 was over 2 years old when they replaced it and the replacement sure appears to be brand new. i don't believe that it's a refurb, not for a second.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
really, my kindle 2 was over 2 years old when they replaced it and the replacement sure appears to be brand new. i don't believe that it's a refurb, not for a second.
.... and that is one of the things that Amazon does well.... They make the refurbs look new. However, it certainly is possible that they ran out of refurbs at that time.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
.... and that is one of the things that Amazon does well.... They make the refurbs look new. However, it certainly is possible that they ran out of refurbs at that time.
where does that info that you seem to be stating as absolute fact come from? there was a thread a while back where the poster stated that he was informed by a telephone customer service rep that product replacements were always new.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote