Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 12:49 AM   #1
brichlin
brichlin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Windows 10 1903 Calibre crashes

program interface flashes on screen, and then disappears. Tried running as admin, but that did not help.

Any ideas? OP SYS recently updated to windows 10 1903
brichlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:25 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
try the obvious strategy of uninstall, re install
C works on 1903 for me, and for many others
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
This sounds like an issue with your update to 1903. I agree with stumped that the first "attack" should be to uninstall calibre and then reinstall. Uninstalling calibre will leave your library intact. Also, make sure you are using a very recent release of calibre.

I've been running calibre the recent releases of calibre on 1903 for several months. My old Dell XPS desktop has been for about 4 months and my Surface Go has for about a month and neither have had any issues.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre has been Solid on 1903 (x64 pro) for weeks

<off topic>
I just would like to find out what is going on with my lower end graphics card (was Nv210, now AMD R5 220). Both reported code 43 and the driver fails to load (at Logon time). At boot (Post to just at Logon), I have 2 monitors displaying . After Enter (logon), I get 1 screen and a driver failed code 43 message. Attempts to install the driver say NO <brand> CARD found (the one working monitor is attached there . And yes, the driver package installs just fine (finds the card) after removing the Graphics driver and then rebooting. it goes south (again) , after THAT (required) reboot.
BTW Linux Mint live CD uses the 2 Monitors just fine, so I may have binned a working card for nothing
</offtopic>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run it from a command prompt as

calibre-debug -g

and post the output
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre has been Solid on 1903 (x64 pro) for weeks

<off topic>
I just would like to find out what is going on with my lower end graphics card (was Nv210, now AMD R5 220). Both reported code 43 and the driver fails to load (at Logon time). At boot (Post to just at Logon), I have 2 monitors displaying . After Enter (logon), I get 1 screen and a driver failed code 43 message. Attempts to install the driver say NO <brand> CARD found (the one working monitor is attached there . And yes, the driver package installs just fine (finds the card) after removing the Graphics driver and then rebooting. it goes south (again) , after THAT (required) reboot.
BTW Linux Mint live CD uses the 2 Monitors just fine, so I may have binned a working card for nothing
</offtopic>
a thorough fix for graphics is disconnect one card [ actually remove it from case if necessary] . boot with the other card, in whatever mode gets you in, and scan for hardware changes to that windows knows the other card has gone, then download latest correct Nvidia or AMD driver and update graphics

then shut it all down, swap card, repeat

then and only then go back to having 2 cards installed

that may be overkill though. in my experivne, a windows feature update often overwrites a perfectly good graphics d driver with something unsuitable and generic ( that's your code 43 error) but then windows usually realizes its mistake and corrects itself. I play safe and reinstall latest Nvidia verified one anyway.

Windows may not be smart enough to sort out 2 cards at once.

it is very unlikely that a card that worked for 1809 is borked for 1903, but ask google, and give specific card details

I have had stuff ( one particular laptop) that was only good in win 7 - there was no working win 10 driver, and everything I tried crashed, but that was very old AMD stuff

i guess worst case is you clean install 1903 with one card only, abandoning wahatever mess the update created. then add 2nd card
I am beginning to think that's the best way do do feature updates anyway. Letting windows do it as an update is typically 4 hours. a clean install from USB stick with media creator is about 20 mins, and no junk leftovers

Last edited by stumped; 08-22-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Only the 1 card. I wish I had room and power for 2
I like to have all my pieces on the surface (a hold over from when I had open manuals all over my desk ) at the same tim, thus more monitors
/
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

sorry, I misunderstood. One card driving 2 monitors is a common setup. it is most unlikely that windows 1903 broke those configs
When combined with your calibre woes the evidence suggest the 1903 update was not a success,
a clean install of 1903 , from USB, to a clean drive will probably fix all, faster than trying to troubleshoot the current bugs ( and there maybe more update bugs you have not noticed yet)
and as its not 100% broken, you should be ale to back up all your data before you start.
that's what I'd do anyway

Tags
windows 10 1903 crash