Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
jakewalk
iPhone Rookie
jakewalk began at the beginning.

Device: Clié TH55, iPhone
Hi both of you,

I am new to the subject and I am not sure if I got the point of the solution mentioned here.

This is what I would like to do:
Convert a digital document (PDF i.e.) into the EPUB-format and transfer it afterwards to my iPhone without using Stanza Desktop application (that is going to become a commercial app in the future...)

How can Calibre help me? I did an ebook conversion into EPUB-format and started the embedded HTTP-server, which shows the converted file if I call the localhost-address. But how can I access that local server with stanza on my iPhone? SSH access to iPhone is available.

I am using calibre-0.4.103 under Windows XP.

Regards,
jakewalk
jakewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Hi Jakewalk,

Absolutely this will let you do what you want. There is currently a bug (see the last couple of posts), but once that is fixed we'll be off to the races. There's a way to do it right now via your own webserver which I've discussed before and requires some technical knowledge which won't be needed once calibre can serve the feed correctly itself.

Cheers,
Crazy

P.S. A person's iPhone won't even need to be jailbroken to use this wihch makes it interesting to a much wider audience.

Last edited by RoninTech; 11-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey Kovid,

I've been doing some more playing with calibredb's stanza output and have found a couple of issues.

- All of the URL's have had http:// replaced with http%3A// which breaks stanza's ability to show the book covers
- The book entry's are missing the "x-stanza-cover-image-thumbnail" link's which means stanza can't show the books thumbnail cover. Its identical to the x-stanza-cover-image field, just uses the different rel="x-stanza-cover-image-thumbnail".
- Each entries content section has the <pre></pre> tag which makes the text unviewable in stanza (it can't split the lines). Removing the pre and using something like the following template that I used for the content section would tidy things up, where _INFO_ is the content text:

Quote:
<content type="xhtml">
<div xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" align="center">_INFO_</div>
</content>
Cheers,
Crazy

Last edited by RoninTech; 11-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
jakewalk
iPhone Rookie
jakewalk began at the beginning.

Device: Clié TH55, iPhone
Hi Crazy,

thanks for your fast reply. You're refering to your Python Script? I could try that but if there is a new version coming that supports that function without a public server I can wait. BTW, I found out that it is possible to install a epub-ebook via SSL but it is necessary to extract and modify some of the epub files and the Stanza's MySQLite-database. I thought about writing a tool that does all of this automatically but as Calibre will do this even for iPhone's without jailbreak that's the better solution and I can save my time.

Regards,
jakewalk
jakewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
So... how do you use this? I don't see anything in the GUI. Is there just a command line? Also, once I have this file then what? Do I need to run a web server to use it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
RoninTech
Groupie

Hey guys,

I'm not referring to my script anymore as Kovid has put the same functionality and more into calibre via his stanza feed output and built in web server.

Bob, see post #10 in this thread for the URL to the built in stanza feed.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
I'm not referring to my script anymore as Kovid has put the same functionality and more into calibre via his stanza feed output and built in web server.

Bob, see post #10 in this thread for the URL to the built in stanza feed.
Ah thanks. I get and error when I go to the stanza URL...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "cherrypy/_cprequest.pyo", line 606, in respond
File "cherrypy/_cpdispatch.pyo", line 24, in __call__
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/server.py", line 33, in do
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/server.py", line 245, in stanza

TypeError: list indices must be integers

Could it be because I don't have any books in the ePub format?

BOb
Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I just committed a content server for calibre into bazaar. So now calibre has its own http server (you can always proxy it behind your primary webserver)
Just tried this for the first time today. Looks cool... but when I go to the web page one of my books shows the comment section even when it is not selected. All the other books only show the comments when I select the book with the mouse.

Using Mac / Firefox 3.

Could it be because the summary for this book seems to have html markup in it? I assume that was retrieved from the metadata... as I didn't add it or fetch it from ISBNdb.com.

BOb
Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #24
RoninTech
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ah thanks. I get and error when I go to the stanza URL...
BOb
Yeah, me too although my error was slightly different (see post 13). What's the content of that books comment section? Sounds like all html should be stripped form the content field before displaying on the webpage.

Cheers,
Crazy
Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
Yeah, me too although my error was slightly different (see post 13). What's the content of that books comment section? Sounds like all html should be stripped form the content field before displaying on the webpage.

Cheers,
Crazy
I will past the comment here. As I said, this must have come from the metadata. Not sure if the forum software will strip the markup though.

<P><EM>Surrounded by death, a man with a terrible gift reaches for life.</EM></P>
<P>A horrific tragedy blasted open a door in young Michael O'Rourke's mind-cursing him with the ability to talk with the Dead. Nearly two decades later, Michael has moved from victim to survivor, using his abilities to seek out those who would go unjudged. </P>
<P>With his gift, he talks to those who've died violently and seeks out their killers. Only once he's found the murderer, can the victims be at rest. After his last case, the only thing he wants is peace and he hopes to find it in the small town of Mitchell, Indiana. <BR>But something is horribly wrong-the dead are waiting for him there, as well. </P>
<P>Small town sheriff Daisy Crandall is frustrated. The murder investigation she's leading is going nowhere, the few leads she's had haven't panned out. She needs a break-this case is personal and when a stranger arrives, turning up where he shouldn't be, she's suspicious. Finding out that he is more than what he appears to b, should shock her but doesn't. The fact she's highly attracted to him at the worst possible time is a hindrance. </P>
<P>Unfortunately, teaming up with Michael is the only way. </P>
<P>Now it's a race against time before the killer destroys the life of his next victim...</P>
<P><EM>This book has been previously published and expanded for Samhain Publishing.</EM></P>
<P><FONT color=#ff0000>Warning, this title contains the following: explicit sex, graphic language, violence</FONT></P>
Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That should work correctly with the next release
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That should work correctly with the next release
Did you mean 104 and the /stanza page? If so, I tried it, still getting an error... different one now.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "cherrypy/_cprequest.pyo", line 606, in respond
File "cherrypy/_cpdispatch.pyo", line 24, in __call__
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/server.py", line 33, in do
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.5/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/server.py", line 251, in stanza
File "calibre/utils/genshi/core.pyo", line 179, in render
File "calibre/utils/genshi/output.pyo", line 60, in encode
File "calibre/utils/genshi/output.pyo", line 210, in __call__
File "calibre/utils/genshi/output.pyo", line 593, in __call__
File "calibre/utils/genshi/output.pyo", line 706, in __call__
File "calibre/utils/genshi/output.pyo", line 532, in __call__
File "calibre/utils/genshi/core.pyo", line 283, in _ensure
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/markup.pyo", line 246, in _match
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/base.pyo", line 546, in _exec
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/base.pyo", line 523, in _eval
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/base.pyo", line 286, in _eval_expr
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/eval.pyo", line 183, in evaluate
File "<string>", line 2, in <Expression u"record['title']">
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/eval.pyo", line 338, in lookup_item
File "calibre/utils/genshi/template/eval.pyo", line 408, in undefined

UndefinedError: [175, u'Awakening', u'Judith Berman', u'Fictionwise.com', 0, datetime.datetime(2008, 11, 4, 19, 58, 59), 59493, None, u"Aleya awakens from a terrible nightmare only to come to terms with her reality: she is one of Reyzmon's ghost-slaves. Her purpose for being is to serve Reyzmon by finding the human victims that feed his strength. Can Aleya escape her fate? She will have to call upon all of her knowledge of magic to defeat her immortal foe. ", None, 1, u'Awakening', u'Berman, Judith', u'EPUB,PRC', u'', u'Judith Berman/Awakening (175)'] has no member named "title"
What about the issue with the Comments showing on that one book that is not selected on the regular root page?

BOb
Old 11-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's odd works for me. The comments handling should work now.

EDIT: There's a bug in the version run from the GUI for /stanza. Run it from the command line with

calibre-server

and it should work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you mean 104 and the /stanza page? If so, I tried it, still getting an error... different one now.
What about the issue with the Comments showing on that one book that is not selected on the regular root page?

BOb

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-10-2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
That's odd works for me. The comments handling should work now.

EDIT: There's a bug in the version run from the GUI for /stanza. Run it from the command line with

calibre-server

and it should work fine.
That one book is still auto expanding with the comment.

But, when running the server from the command line the /stanza page does seem to work. I'll have to try it with an iPod next.

BOb
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Are you sure, I just tested the comment you posted below and it works fine for me. Try hitting refresh in your browser to make sure that it reloads the files.