Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
johnydon3
Enthusiast
johnydon3 began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD, Nook Glowlight Plus (2015), Kindle 4, x2 Kindle Basic 10gen
Exclamation Clara HD update or not?

So i got a Clara HD today, it has 4.25 firmware(2020) should i update it to the latest one? if not, why not?
johnydon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 02:52 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
In general, there's new features. So upgrading can make minimal, but nice changes. I don't remember what features have been introduced since 4.25.

Except for pinch to change font size, which was just (re)introduced in the latest firmware, 4.33. I hated that when they had it a long time ago, so I haven't upgraded and have stayed at 4.32 for now.

You are likely fine staying at 4.25 You are likely fine updating to 4.33. Just avoid... 4.31(I think?). That one seemed to be very buggy.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2022, 03:53 PM   #3
johnydon3
Enthusiast

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In general, there's new features. So upgrading can make minimal, but nice changes. I don't remember what features have been introduced since 4.25.

Except for pinch to change font size, which was just (re)introduced in the latest firmware, 4.33. I hated that when they had it a long time ago, so I haven't upgraded and have stayed at 4.32 for now.

You are likely fine staying at 4.25 You are likely fine updating to 4.33. Just avoid... 4.31(I think?). That one seemed to be very buggy.
someone told me that there is a lot of good stuff i can still in my Clara, can i still install stuff if i update? that is my only worry lol i want to be able to install 3rd party stuff from this site
Old 09-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Yes anything that worked on 4.25 should work on 4.33 barring a few patches that have been removed either because they’d be redundant or because they need to be moved/tweaked.

But software such as KOReader, and Plato should work.

If you have something particular in mind you should say it so those who use or make it can provide a more complete answer
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 07:01 PM   #5
johnydon3
Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes anything that worked on 4.25 should work on 4.33 barring a few patches that have been removed either because they’d be redundant or because they need to be moved/tweaked.

But software such as KOReader, and Plato should work.

If you have something particular in mind you should say it so those who use or make it can provide a more complete answer
Nothing special, i want to install this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405

and Koreader, i have no idea what else i should need anyways but those are my main targets
Advert
Old 09-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #6
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydon3 View Post

and Koreader, i have no idea what else i should need anyways but those are my main targets
Both those will work. The hyphenation dictionary of course will only affect books read in the built in reader.

KOReader will work just fine.

If anything upgrading is just beneficial for under the hood changes.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:47 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
someone told me that there is a lot of good stuff i can still in my Clara, can i still install stuff if i update?
I think you mean the patches. A day or two after each firmware update, patches are released. So yeah, yoy should be able to tweak your Kobo regardless of firmware.

Quote:

The hyphenation dictionary isn't assigned to any firmware. You just install it no matter the firmware.

Before using KOReader, you should just try the Clara as it is for a while.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:38 PM   #8
johnydon3
Enthusiast

Unhappy

Quote:
I think you mean the patches. A day or two after each firmware update, patches are released. So yeah, yoy should be able to tweak your Kobo regardless of firmware.

The hyphenation dictionary isn't assigned to any firmware. You just install it no matter the firmware.

Before using KOReader, you should just try the Clara as it is for a while.
yeah i am using it and i am loving the default reader, but i have a problem, any of my sideloaded epubs are able to use custom fonts, why is that? i already have 4 custom fonts and they show up in the menu but i cant manage to make them work, any ideas? i would like to know if there is a way to use custom fonts with epubs, because i like to have real page numbers, and i have seen that kepub doesnt have that
Old 09-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
yeah i am using it and i am loving the default reader, but i have a problem, any of my sideloaded epubs are able to use custom fonts, why is that? i already have 4 custom fonts and they show up in the menu but i cant manage to make them work, any ideas?
Someone else will have to answer. I only read kepub and custom fonts work fine. I thought custom fonts also work on ePub. I'm almost certain they do. I wonder if there's an issue with the fonts you added?
Old 09-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #10
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
yeah i am using it and i am loving the default reader, but i have a problem, any of my sideloaded epubs are able to use custom fonts, why is that? i already have 4 custom fonts and they show up in the menu but i cant manage to make them work, any ideas? i would like to know if there is a way to use custom fonts with epubs, because i like to have real page numbers, and i have seen that kepub doesnt have that
If I remember correctly, the Kobo software will not override a font that is specified by the book's CSS.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #11
johnydon3
Enthusiast

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
If I remember correctly, the Kobo software will not override a font that is specified by the book's CSS.
ooh, any idea how do i change that?
Old 09-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
ooh, any idea how do i change that?
First, to test it: Will the ePub that won't show your custom fonts show other built in fonts? Try setting it to Open Dyslexic. When you do, does the ePub show that font?
Old 09-12-2022, 12:23 PM   #13
johnydon3
Enthusiast

Quote:
First, to test it: Will the ePub that won't show your custom fonts show other built in fonts? Try setting it to Open Dyslexic. When you do, does the ePub show that font?
Nope it does not change to any of the fonts that come with the reader
Old 09-12-2022, 02:37 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Nope it does not change to any of the fonts that come with the reader
So then it isn't the fonts it is the ePub.

Throw this ePub on your Clara. See if you can change fonts on it. I'm at work and don't have access to Sigil or Calibre, but I don't believe StandardEbooks have specified fonts. So you should be able to switch them. At least then you will know that it isn't your Clara (and I am sure it is not).
Attached Files
File Type: epub george-eliot_silas-marner.epub (673.5 KB, 692 views)

Last edited by ZodWallop; 09-12-2022 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #15
johnydon3
Enthusiast

Red face

Quote:
So then it isn't the fonts it is the ePub.

Throw this ePub on your Clara. See if you can change fonts on it. I'm at work and don't have access to Sigil or Calibre, but I don't believe StandardEbooks have specified fonts. So you should be able to switch them. At least then you will know that it isn't your Clara (and I am sure it is not).
You know what, i was able to chane fonts using that file lol so i decided to get my books from another site lol and now the custom fonts works, every book that i use in my other e readers have a lets call it default kobo font lol but they do work with custom fonts in my other readers as i mentioned, now that i downloaded the same books from another site, the custom font works