Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 02:27 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmatushek View Post
OK, it looks like I upgraded from 3.40 to 3.45.2.

I'm not quite clear on the instructions. You said to delete the .json files. All of them, or just the smtp.py.json file? Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty accessing the files from my backup. Still working on that.
Just the ".py.json" ones. These replace the ".py" files after their contents have been migrated. The .py files should still be there unchanged from the last version that supported them.
Quote:
Apparently to downgrade to 3.44, I need to completely uninstall Calibre. Won't I lose all the settings and configurations I already have?
Uninstalling calibre does not touch the configuration or libraries.
Quote:
Sorry, I'm really not clear on the sequence of steps, and I definitely don't want to lose what I have. Most of Calibre is still working, so maybe it's easier to just reset my preferences and re-enter the email addresses?
The sequence is:
- Uninstall calibre 3.45.2.
- Remove the ".py.json" files.
- Restore the ".py" files from backup if needed.
- Install calibre 3.44.
Quote:
You said this problem will be fixed in the next release. If I just wait for 3.46, will my email addresses and plug-ins magically re-appear?
No. There is a bug in 3.45.x in the migration code for the preferences that resets some of them. If you had updated via one of the more recent versions, it would have done the migration with no problems and there would have been no issues with 3.45.x. Going to 3.44 will do the migration correctly. Installing 3.45.2 will not have any problems. If don't do the above steps and wait for 3.46, you won't get the email addresses back. I think you will get the plugins back, but you won't get all of their configuration back.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No. There is a bug in 3.45.x in the migration code for the preferences that resets some of them. If you had updated via one of the more recent versions, it would have done the migration with no problems and there would have been no issues with 3.45.x. Going to 3.44 will do the migration correctly. Installing 3.45.2 will not have any problems. If don't do the above steps and wait for 3.46, you won't get the email addresses back. I think you will get the plugins back, but you won't get all of their configuration back.
Firstly I don't have any issues with missing plugins or email addresses (I don't user that calibre feature).

I upgraded from 3.41->3.41.1->3.41.2->3.41.3->3.42->3.43->3.44->3.45->3.45.1->3.45.2->. The releases I skipped are struck out and grey.

I notice I have several pairs of [xxxxx.py + xxxxx.py.json], and [yyyyy.pickle + yyyyy.pickle.json].

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-16 194526.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	172417

Should I have both?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-16-2019 at 05:58 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes havong both files is normal, if it bothers you, you can delete the .py ones.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Firstly I don't have any issues with missing plugins or email addresses (I don't user that calibre feature).

I upgraded from 3.41->3.41.1->3.41.2->3.41.3->3.42->3.43->3.44->3.45->3.45.1->3.45.2->. The releases I skipped are struck out and grey.

I notice I have several pairs of [xxxxx.py + xxxxx.py.json], and [yyyyy.pickle + yyyyy.pickle.json].

Attachment 172417

Should I have both?
As Kovid said, it is normal and you can delete the .py files now. But...

Kovid changed the way these preferences were stored in 3.41. This converted the .py files to .py.json. Once that was done, the conversion isn't done again and the .py files are ignored. All the versions up to and including 3.44 did this correctly. That means if you installed any version in the 3.41 to 3.44 range of version, everything is OK. But, if you skipped directly to 3.45.x, the conversion of the .py files to .py.json could be wrong and the options will probably be reset to the defaults. It depends on exactly what was in the .py files. The driver configurations will all be affected. I don't know about the other files.

One warning is that the conversions are done as needed. You need to actually use calibre for the conversions to happen. Just installing one of these versions of calibre won't convert the files.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Uninstalls leave all settings and libraries. That is the reason you need to (JUST) remove the .py.json files (they are built differently from the source py files for later versions. You need to do each update to keep them in step)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
yes havong both files is normal, if it bothers you, you can delete the .py ones.
Thanks - FYI I am left with

device_drivers_FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG.py
tweaks.py

There is no .py.json for those two.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #22
johnmatushek
johnmatushek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you Kovid and David. I followed your instructions to downgrade to 3.44, then re-upgrade to 3.45 and now everything has been restored properly. Thanks for such an amazing program and such fantastic support!

BTW, kudos on your install program. It is the fastest installer/uninstaller I've ever seen.
johnmatushek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:20 AM   #23
Enesco
Enesco began at the beginning.

Device: ipad Kobo H2O
I just installed 3.46.0 and again all plugins are gone...
( I restored them from a backup )
Windows 10 64bit
Enesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #24
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Thanks - FYI I am left with
device_drivers_FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG.py
tweaks.py
There is no .py.json for those two.

BR
Hmm, I saw some different device drivers:
  • device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py.json
  • device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py.json
  • device_drivers_PRS505.py
  • device_drivers_PRST1.py
Quickly attaching a PRST1 produced the creation of device_drivers_PRST1.py.json, so I gather that you need to attach all devices in order to migrate to json before installing a calibre newer than 3.44, say 3.46?
If so, it would be wise to communicate this fact to the users.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
Hmm, I saw some different device drivers:
  • device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py.json
  • device_drivers_KOBOTOUCHEXTENDED.py.json
  • device_drivers_PRS505.py
  • device_drivers_PRST1.py
Quickly attaching a PRST1 produced the creation of device_drivers_PRST1.py.json, so I gather that you need to attach all devices in order to migrate to json before installing a calibre newer than 3.44, say 3.46?
If so, it would be wise to communicate this fact to the users.
If that's the case, what happens if you don't plug in all devices before installing a version newer then 3.44? It's possible not everyone is able to connect all devices before the upgrade.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No you do not need to do that. There was a bug in 3.45 that broke migration of config files, that bug is fixed. And has bothing to do with plugins being missing or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No you do not need to do that. There was a bug in 3.45 that broke migration of config files, that bug is fixed. And has bothing to do with plugins being missing or not.
Thank you. Glad to know all is well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote