Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #1
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
In the morning/Of the morning

While reading the works of an amateur/indie writer, I've stumbled upon a phrase that I'd never before seen used in that particular way (whereas he's using it that way constantly). Instead of "I have coffee in the morning" he's always phrasing it as "I have coffee of the morning".

Google was no help whatsover in pinpointing the distribution - geographic or otherwise - of this particular usage, except for one paper which at least established that this seems to be an acknowledged local variation but provided no further information.

So I'm turning to this learned - or at least well-read - forum: Where in the world is it common to hear the phrase "of the morning/evening/noon/night/whatever" instead of "in the morning/..."?
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've never heard 'of' used that way, unless there was a ordinal qualifier. "My first coffee of the morning".

So it's not a southern English phrase.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Never heard of that, either. In is correct (grammar police).
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The phrase "of a morning" is acceptable in certain contexts (indicating habitual use.) I think you could push it to include "the" if you wanted to. This would be in regional vernacular.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've never heard that phrasing either, and cannot imagine anywhere that "of" could be used in that way. However, the English empire once spanned the globe and never saw the setting sun, so perhaps some little island in the middle of no where uses it that way.
Advert
Old 03-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #6
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
The phrase "of a morning" is acceptable in certain contexts (indicating habitual use.) I think you could push it to include "the" if you wanted to. This would be in regional vernacular.
So as the only contributor in this thread so far who has even heard of this thing, you get saddled with the follow-up question: This would be in regional vernacular of which region? Canada? Northern US? If so, which part(s) of it?

I've had a (completely unfounded, I admit) suspicion that it might be an Upper Peninsula or Minnesota thing due to some other linguistic weirdnesses going on in that area, stemming back from the large pool of northern European immigrants in the past. So I'm intrigued that you're from Canada whereas a Brit, a Texan and a Chicagoan all have - like me - never heard of this thing.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
It looks like a direct translation of a Spanish expression "Mi café de la mañana" (my morning coffee).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:02 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Like Arjaybe, I've heard "of a morning" but not "of the morning".

Does the nationality/location of the author offer any clues?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I've heard/read this before, but don't know where.
I take it as:

"I have [my habitual/ritual/usual] coffee of the morning"
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've heard of "of a morning", but doesn't it have a slightly different meaning, compared to "in the morning"?

Ah, here:
Definition "of an evening" or "of a morning" (1) on most evenings/mornings (2) at some time in the evenings/ mornings.

Examples: People will say: He usually comes round here about 8 o'clock of an evening, or 10 o'clock of a morning, or of a Saturday afternoon.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #11
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
So as the only contributor in this thread so far who has even heard of this thing, you get saddled with the follow-up question: This would be in regional vernacular of which region? Canada? Northern US? If so, which part(s) of it?

I've had a (completely unfounded, I admit) suspicion that it might be an Upper Peninsula or Minnesota thing due to some other linguistic weirdnesses going on in that area, stemming back from the large pool of northern European immigrants in the past. So I'm intrigued that you're from Canada whereas a Brit, a Texan and a Chicagoan all have - like me - never heard of this thing.
I got the impression that it's used in some of the southern states. "He used to like a nice big cup of coffee of a morning." Some of the ranchers around here also like to talk that way sometimes.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm PA and Chicago, but I've mostly only READ the phrase, so I can't tell about locality. Maybe it's an OLDER phrase .... any Jane Eyre or Charles Dickens readers around here?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I got the impression that it's used in some of the southern states. "He used to like a nice big cup of coffee of a morning." Some of the ranchers around here also like to talk that way sometimes.
My ancestors have lived in Texas since the 1830s, but I've never heard that usage by anyone here. It is possible some in the deep south might use it, but again not that I've ever heard.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:46 AM   #14
Gudy
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm, the Deep South was my other candidate region, but since jswinden (who's from Texas) said he'd never heard of it, I'd kinda dismissed that idea.

Oh well, it looks increasingly like we won't get to the root of it, so I just may have to live with it bugging me like crazy. :-P
Old 03-09-2017, 05:01 AM   #15
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Laurel and Hardy had some dialogue, (I think in 'Way Out West')
where Stan said someone had died.Ollie asked 'What did he die
of?' and Stan replied 'He died of a tuesday'.
And I too have heard the expression 'of A morning' but not in any
other context.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote