Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro,Kindle Oasis
Kobo Sage page buttons flaky

Hi all

I have a new Kobo Sage. I find about 20% of the time when I press the next page button the page doesn't turn. I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if the unit I bought is defective and I should get a replacement. Thoughts?
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2, Kindle Oasis 3
It's a common issue. Most Sages seem to be this way. Mine certainly is.

I have just accepted it, but another way is to try KOReader. The button issue doesn't seem to crop up there.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #3
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

I have just accepted it, but another way is to try KOReader. The button issue doesn't seem to crop up there.
This issue is still present in KOReader in my experience, unless it's been fixed somewhat recently.

Last edited by DevonHess; 07-25-2022 at 12:53 PM.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2 & PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
It's closely related to the device being in a low power state (read: standby) at the time the buttons are pressed, meaning said input events become the wakeup source.

The hardware and/or kernel appears to sometimes lose track of the actual input events, and never delivers them to userland.

At the cost of severely gimping your battery life, you can disable autostandby in KOReader (or simply not enable it in the first place, as it's opt-in ), and that'll effectively workaround (in a very literal sense ;p) the issue .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
readologist
Enthusiast
readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.readologist has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Libra 2
I find that on my Kobo devices (Libra H20, Libra 2 and Forma) the buttons do not have enough travel. Particularly compared to well built devices such as my Ipads, Microsoft Surface and Iphones. I think Kobo has cheaped out on the contact switches under the butttons.
readologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2022, 09:34 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
They have standard travel. They are the commonly used tact switches. Note that the switches on the original Libra are under the curved outer ends of the buttons. and on the Sage they are under the middle of the button.

The buttons on the old Kindles DXG and KK3 seem to be awful. I suspect they are the clicky dome kind.

The iPhones and iPads have real buttons again?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:10 AM   #7
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro,Kindle Oasis
Huh, so it looks like it's "normal". I went and asked for a replacement from Amazon; guess I needn't have bothered.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:11 PM   #8
jospalau
Enthusiast
jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Ares
Do you think is normal to sell a product like this and the buttons not working reliably?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 AM   #9
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Libra H20, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Hi all

I have a new Kobo Sage. I find about 20% of the time when I press the next page button the page doesn't turn. I'm wondering if this is a common issue or if the unit I bought is defective and I should get a replacement. Thoughts?
Mine does too, but much less frequently, and it doesn't annoy me much, since it is simple to extend my thumb to the page and then return to the buttons.

Nothing to the extreme annoyance I feel when I have to endure the device deciding to turn the pages until the end of the book and then return to the first page and begin again, especially when the pages number several hundreds. Most times the only thing to do is to force the device to turn off, then turn it on and try to find my way to where I was in the book.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:59 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage, Forma, Libra 2 & H₂0, Mini, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Quote:
Huh, so it looks like it's "normal". I went and asked for a replacement from Amazon; guess I needn't have bothered.
I have yet to experience any button anomalies with my Sage. Perhaps I've been lucky.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:04 AM   #11
jospalau
Enthusiast
jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jospalau could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It's closely related to the device being in a low power state (read: standby) at the time the buttons are pressed, meaning said input events become the wakeup source.

The hardware and/or kernel appears to sometimes lose track of the actual input events, and never delivers them to userland.

At the cost of severely gimping your battery life, you can disable autostandby in KOReader (or simply not enable it in the first place, as it's opt-in ), and that'll effectively workaround (in a very literal sense ;p) the issue .
That's what I do. Since I don't read every day with it I don't mind if the battery drains quicker.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:58 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What I've found is that when I'm reading, the buttons seem to work fine. If I stop reading for a couple of minutes, occasionally the buttons don't work but a swipe on the screen does. For the most part, after the swipe, the buttons work normally. This seems to fit in with what @NiLuJe has mentioned about going into standby and input events being lost.

There are also the times that I've been unable to change pages and when I go back to Home or My Books, I get a popup error message that the ebook has DRM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:14 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I've found is that when I'm reading, the buttons seem to work fine. If I stop reading for a couple of minutes, occasionally the buttons don't work but a swipe on the screen does. For the most part, after the swipe, the buttons work normally. This seems to fit in with what @NiLuJe has mentioned about going into standby and input events being lost.

There are also the times that I've been unable to change pages and when I go back to Home or My Books, I get a popup error message that the ebook has DRM.
Since you own both Forma and Sage, how would you personally compare the two vis-à-vis your reading habits. (I'm aware of the short-comings of both devices.)

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:58 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
I take care to close the cover if taking a break. I'll pop it out of cover if reading solidly.

Quote:
I've had that once on the Kobo Aura HD H20 original and Libra Original. Not sure if more than once. At least twice on the Sage, maybe at start of Gutenberg's stupidly long "licence" text.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:13 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Since you own both Forma and Sage, how would you personally compare the two vis-à-vis your reading habits. (I'm aware of the short-comings of both devices.)

Thanks.
I prefer the Sage. Basically it is just a faster device though that comes at the cost of a lower battery life. If I compare the two side by side, the Sage screen is noticeably crisper (higher contrast) but that takes a side by side comparison. Looking at either one alone, I don't notice that difference.

The speed difference is most noticeable when transferring and processing books. When reading books, the differences aren't as noticeable though a couple of massive Delphi ebooks are noticeably faster on the Sage.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote