Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Reinhard
Reinhard began at the beginning.

Device: none
bugs in book browser

The following 2 bugs appear both in sigil from Debian sid and in a selfcompiled sigil from git.
1.) I can't select multiple files with ctrl and mouse or with shift and mouse. sigil seems to ignore the keys. Select all from local menu (right click) is working.
2.) Trying to reorder files crashes sigil when I try to drop the file to a new location.

Reinhard
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Can't say as I've ever experienced either of those issues with Arch Linux or Ubuntu. Selecting multiple files and re-ordering them is a fairly common task, and this is the very first I've heard of any issues with them.

I'll double-check when I get home, but we are literally in the final hours of a new release.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2018 at 09:26 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

FWIW, here's what I've experienced. (I'm currently using Sigil 0.9.9, built from source, on Kubuntu 16.04, but it's been like this since "forever".)

To select multiple consecutive chapters in the book browser, I click on the first one, then shift-click on the last one. For a moment, all are highlited, but the highlight disappears for all but the last one. If I shift-click again on the last one, all the highlighting re-appears, and stays.

I don't seem to be able to ctrl-click multiple files at all, consecutive or otherwise.

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
FWIW, here's what I've experienced. (I'm currently using Sigil 0.9.9, built from source, on Kubuntu 16.04, but it's been like this since "forever".)

To select multiple consecutive chapters in the book browser, I click on the first one, then shift-click on the last one. For a moment, all are highlited, but the highlight disappears for all but the last one. If I shift-click again on the last one, all the highlighting re-appears, and stays.

I don't seem to be able to ctrl-click multiple files at all, consecutive or otherwise.

Albert
Hmmm. That's disappointing. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning anything about such a long-standing issue. Perhaps it was reported before my time?

Does reordering the files (drag and drop) in Book Browser cause any crashes for you? If not, I think we'll move forward with this release and make taking a look at this issue a priority for the next.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hmmm. That's disappointing. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning anything about such a long-standing issue. Perhaps it was reported before my time?
I could be wrong, but I think I mentioned it a long time ago when I first encountered it. However, since I found the workaround (I usually only select consecutive groups of files for chapter renaming -- never use ctrl-click) it wasn't / isn't a burning issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Does reordering the files (drag and drop) in Book Browser cause any crashes for you? If not, I think we'll move forward with this release and make taking a look at this issue a priority for the next.
Nope, I regularly drag and drop individual files, such as creating an HTML TOC and dragging it where I want it, or when adding a file to an existing epub, without any problems.

Albert
Advert
Old 07-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, I tested with with stock Sigil 0.9.9 on Mac OS X, I can NOT recreate any of this.

I can click on a chapter in the BookBrowser and then shift click a bunch of contiguous files and it highlights just fine and I can drag and drop them to a new location with no problems.

I can also click on a file and then Command click (apple key) on another file (not contiguous) and happily drag and drop those as well.

So whatever issue this is, does not exist on a Mac so that kind of points to a Qt issue of some sort.

That said, there are many programs that look and and remap keys (control and otherwise) that could be interfering including a user's own key settings in Sigil's Preferences.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
st_albert
Guru

I can't reproduce any of it on Win-10 with Sigil 0.9.7 either.

Back on Kubuntu, shift-click works as expected in code view, and ctl-click works in the clip editor, for example, and I haven't knowingly re-assigned the ctl key in preferences (if in fact you could).

I think it's been happening on kubuntu with various Qt 5.x versions, and maybe even 4.x as well, but I won't swear to it now.

Not much help, eh?

Albert
Old 07-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Reinhard

I attached a backtrace from the crash.

Reinhard
Attached Files
File Type: txt backtrace.txt (9.2 KB, 116 views)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The only linux specific thing I see in that backtrace is this:

QWindowSystemInterface::sendWindowSystemEvents(QFl ags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Gui.so.5
#32 0x00007fffe769a2cb in () at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5XcbQpa.so.5

libQt5XcbQpa.so is a front for a platform specific plugin (libqxcb.so)

Do you have multiple versions of Qt installed?
Do you have environment variables set that might point to incorrect Qt library plugins?

What script are you using to actually launch Sigil and does it properly set the QT_PLUGIN_PATH?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It's probably the distro's own Qt5 platform plugin for that Desktop. They use them to try and force a consistent theme across all apps.

I've never had any problems with the platform plugins on Gnome or Cinnamon desktops, but I've run into KDE/Qt5 issues in the past that we've had to try and come up with workarounds for. Injecting the keyboard shortcut ampersands into Menu items' name properties was the last one I remember. It prevented plugins from being run from the menus on certain KDE desktops, if I recall.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I wasn't able to reproduce this issue on my OpenBox Arch Linux machine either.

@Reinhard: What's your desktop environment?

Last edited by Doitsu; 07-25-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #12
Reinhard

My desktop environment is KDE, QT revison 5.10. is the only QT version.
QT_PLUGIN_PATH is not set.
I'm waiting for QT 5.11.1, which I hope will arrive soon.

Reinhard
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

KDE has that odd single-click for everything that always messes me up. I think it messes up Qt at times, too. For instance: single-clicking on a file in Sigil's Book Browser immediately opens the file in a new tab (or switches focus to it if it's tab is already open) with KDE. On my Linux DE, I have to double-click on a file in Book Browser to open the tab. One click just highlights it. I think that's part of the issue, here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-31-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Yep.

Changing the system mouse behavior on Kubuntu to "Double-click to open files and folders (select icons of first click)" makes file selection work "normally" for me in Sigil's Book Browser. Multiple selections work with either Ctrl or Shift.

Whereas I experience the exact same behavior described by st_albert when the setting is set to "Single-click to open files and folders" (including his workaround)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post

Will need to dig into that after this release. Has to be something that can be done to get Qt TreeView to play nice with KDE's Single-click/Double-click settings. I'm assuming other Qt apps do.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For what it's worth, the single-click-to-open nature of KDE means that when a new tab is opened (or takes focus) because of single-clicking on a file in Book Browser, the cursor is immediately going to the BV/CV editor and the TreeView items are losing focus as a result.

The only reason I've never noticed this behavior before whenever testing in KDE, is because turning off single-click-to-open is almost always the first thing I do on a KDE system. It's the only way I can keep my sanity.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-25-2018 at 07:40 PM.